Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 ralliart vs 09 wrx

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe i know its SST. I just put AT in it so its easier to describe the transmission. And yeah I know the transmission is expensive thats why the car had a very high price compared to its competitors. But damn the AWD are so much fun compared to my FWD MS3. But the power band of the MS3 is better. But in general i like the whole ralliart car. Design is very aggressive!

Yup this coming weekend I will test drive the WRX 265, I'm not really shopping for cars. I'm just having fun in test driving diff car models.

If I were to buy one, I will take the manager's offer to me the Evo X GRS rally red brand new for 25k! 0 APR for 48 months. But I dont want to start my debt from zero again. Already paid 1 year thru my MS3 and only have 14k left to pay it off.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Metall1ca
had to be a 335i, even then i thought thats W for the X?
Nah, it was a 330i, and it wasn't actually a race, just a "teaser" from 0-60, he pulled up right beside me and was revving his motor, and since the street was deserted, I played along. LOL, I didn't launch the car though, so my start was slow... and I sucked... upshifting below 6k RPM =X

Last edited by tipoytm; Jun 29, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
Nah, it was a 330i, and it wasn't actually a race, just a "teaser" from 0-60, he pulled up right beside me and was revving his motor, and since the street was deserted, I played along. LOL, I didn't launch the car though, so my start was slow... and I sucked... upshifting below 6k RPM =X
Ok then.... Cause there's no way a 330i is going to do anything to you; your X should be able to mop the floor with it; That beemer is more like a RA competitor, and still it's got a slower 1/4 mile than the RA; Now try a 335i and you'll have something to reckon with

then again, don't do it on the streets, go to a drag strip
(mods don't like illegal-street-racing talk in here; nope, no good...)
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jazket

4 - Braking IS retarded; It's a 3,400lbs car with 252 foot-pounds of torque and flimsy GTS/Outlander brakes; Mitsu went cheap on that one.
they should have had the brembos as an option
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kal0051
they should have had the brembos as an option
That would be nice, it would about $2300 for just the rotors and pads alone though.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
That would be nice, it would about $2300 for just the rotors and pads alone though.
And if you want to get them aftermarket, make that $4,000 for the front kit and $2,000 for the rear

Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Sure people may eventually change tires but that's still an extra 1000$+ to keep up. 1000$ goes a long way.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the WRX tires need to be changed after a year or so as well? I mean, I know they're good, but they won't last forever. After the first year of ownership tires are a non-issue in terms of price and performance.

BTW, I like both vehicles (WRX and RA) and I grow tired of yet another "RA vs" thread, it's beginning to read like a Cobalt SS/TC vs Evo thread. No offense to the Cobalt owners.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
And if you want to get them aftermarket, make that $4,000 for the front kit and $2,000 for the rear

$6K? Damn. I jus check RRM's website and they have 2 piece 4 piston Rotora front brake kit and 2 piston 1 piece in the rear for the GTS. Should fit our cars. Its about $3000+ though for everythin
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the WRX tires need to be changed after a year or so as well? I mean, I know they're good, but they won't last forever. After the first year of ownership tires are a non-issue in terms of price and performance.

BTW, I like both vehicles (WRX and RA) and I grow tired of yet another "RA vs" thread, it's beginning to read like a Cobalt SS/TC vs Evo thread. No offense to the Cobalt owners.
If you drive the car like a maniac everyday, sure, but do that in any car and the tires will be the least of your concerns.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
$6K? Damn. I jus check RRM's website and they have 2 piece 4 piston Rotora front brake kit and 2 piston 1 piece in the rear for the GTS. Should fit our cars. Its about $3000+ though for everythin
BBKs don't necessarily reduce braking distance. Good pads and fluid are the key to any setup.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
No contest for me cuz I'm a mitsu fanboi haha j/k... on a serious note, the TC-SST tranny is a marvel, somtimes I wish that should have gotten the MR instead of the GSR. Lightning quick shifts are really nice to have.... this coming from a guy who got smoked by a 330i (prolly was an automatic) from a stoplight couple of nights ago lol.
I'm sure this happened on a deserted stretch of road somewhere in Mexico, correct?

When it comes to brakes...the RA comes way short, its almost pathetic. I do recall a thread about someone trying to fit OEM VII/IX BBK Brembos onto the 09RA, can't seem to find the thread anywhere now, anyone know if that ever happened? If not, someone find a totalled VII/IX and try it out and confirm!

BBKs don't necessarily reduce braking distance. Good pads and fluid are the key to any setup.
^ True statement. But with a BBK, the rotors have more heat distribution and can take a beating longer. On the other hand, unless you track your RA often; upgrading to a BBK is, in my book, mainly a cosmetic mod.

Back on topic, IMO, the 09 WRX and 09 RA appeal to similar, but yet different audiences. The WRX, with a stick, appeals to the adrenaline and fun seeking DD young to middle aged person. While the RA, with the SST, doesn't offer as much of an adrenaline rush (don't get me wrong, that rush is still there but, not as in-your-face) when manually shifting through the gears WOT, but offers a higher level of comfort and sophistication as a DD.

Last edited by DatRAzn; Jun 29, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you drive the car like a maniac everyday, sure, but do that in any car and the tires will be the least of your concerns.
Nope, Mitsubishi dealer told me, and reviews confirm, the stock rubber on the RA is good for maybe 10-12K miles under normal driving conditions. I can't speak for the WRX, they likely last a bit longer, regardless once the rubber is replaced it's all about which tires you choose to put on, hence it becomes a moot point IMO, in terms of "stock for stock" tire comparisons. That's just my 2 cents.

Now if you want wider wheels 235/245 it will cost you, but that's another issue.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DetroitRA
^ True statement. But with a BBK, the rotors have more heat distribution and can take a beating longer. On the other hand, unless you track your RA often; upgrading to a BBK is, in my book, mainly a cosmetic mod.

Back on topic, IMO, the 09 WRX and 09 RA appeal to similar, but yet different audiences. The WRX, with a stick, appeals to the adrenaline and fun seeking DD young to middle aged person. While the RA, with the SST, doesn't offer as much of an adrenaline rush (don't get me wrong, that rush is still there but, not as in-your-face) when manually shifting through the gears WOT, but offers a higher level of comfort and sophistication as a DD.
For prolonged beatings, BBKs are great but they don't reduce stopping distance in normal or even track instances. I've heard you can fit the Evo Brembos on the Ralliart which would be a good upgrade.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Nope, Mitsubishi dealer told me, and reviews confirm, the stock rubber on the RA is good for maybe 10-12K miles under normal driving conditions. I can't speak for the WRX, they likely last a bit longer, regardless once the rubber is replaced it's all about which tires you choose to put on, hence it becomes a moot point IMO, in terms of "stock for stock" tire comparisons. That's just my 2 cents.

Now if you want wider wheels 235/245 it will cost you, but that's another issue.
Plenty of people buy the same rubber over and over again, it's not a moot point for most people. On here, it's not a big issue since this is an enthusiast dominated board. However, for first time buyers, it's a bit imposing knowing that you'll have to buy new tires just to get similar performance.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

However, for first time buyers, it's a bit imposing knowing that you'll have to buy new tires just to get similar performance.
That's a good way of looking at it; When you spend extra money on a car you just bought, you are wishing it improves it's performance against the competing car, not match it, that's a bit dumb at some point;

Btw, how is it that a BB kit won't help in stopping power when an Evo that has roughly (or almost) the same weight as the Ralliart stops at 106 ft 60-0 with Brembos, while the later does it at 120 ft 60-0; don't tell me it's all about the pads, cause the BBK does come with better pads; so the whole thing is whether a BBK kit won't improve stopping distance... Which it would/will

For prolonged beatings, BBKs are great but they don't reduce stopping distance in normal or even track instances. I've heard you can fit the Evo Brembos on the Ralliart which would be a good upgrade.
I think you two are a bit off

Quick Reply: 09 ralliart vs 09 wrx