Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 ralliart vs 09 wrx

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMFGBBQ

You just proved yourself wrong again. Their tests clearly showed the biggest brakes stopping fastest. WTF is the issue here? What are you trying to prove??

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

Do YOU even read the **** you reference?

PS I am glad to see you shift your argument from track performance to casual daily driving,Mr. "I actually track my car".

Last edited by 4g64fiero; Jun 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:10 AM

^

My new favorite expression! "OMFGBBQ".
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xstyme
^

My new favorite expression! "OMFGBBQ".
LOL, yah that's a good one...

Hum and btw, guys I was refering to the WHOLE DAMN BRAKE KIT, not just a rotor upgrade, or a pad upgrade, or a caliper upgrade, or tire upgrade, or brake fluid change.... the whole damn thing, as they sell it, with cables and rotors and pads and calipers;

I believe they sell the WHOLE upgrade kit for a reason? Or I'd assume Mitsu shouldn't be spending money on equipping the Evos with a BBK since a brake fluid and pads is all that's needed on a regular lancer (GTS) braking system... But again, Evo's are supposed to be tracked any day of the week

damn, you all start a discussion out of thin effing air!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g64fiero
OMFGBBQ

You just proved yourself wrong again. Their tests clearly showed the biggest brakes stopping fastest. WTF is the issue here? What are you trying to prove??

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

Do YOU even read the **** you reference?

PS I am glad to see you shift your argument from track performance to casual daily driving,Mr. "I actually track my car".
Clearly you have no scientific experience. The variation between the runs is insignificant. Do you honestly think 1 foot is significant? Are you willing to spend thousands to improve stopping distance by 1 foot?
Directly from the second article
On its stock brakes, the car did everything we expected, but also posted a shorter braking distance on almost every corresponding brake run. On average, the stock brakes stopped the car in 216.1 feet, 3.7 feet shorter than the StopTech average. It also posted its best distance of 210.6 feet on the fifth run, even with the pedal going soft and the pads billowing smoke.
Tires stop a car, not brakes. Even if that's a broad statement, full of caveats and qualifiers, it contains a crucial truth. All things being equal, stopping distance is stipulated by how much grip the tires have before they're finally overcome by braking torque, resulting in wheel lock. For those with ABS, the surest and simplest way to reduce dead-stop braking distance is a simple matter of stickier tires.
Perhaps you should read the articles rather than skim them looking for numbers.
My first statements
BBKs don't necessarily reduce braking distance. Good pads and fluid are the key to any setup.
For prolonged beatings, BBKs are great but they don't reduce stopping distance in normal or even track instances. I've heard you can fit the Evo Brembos on the Ralliart which would be a good upgrade.
Looks like the results verify my statements. A BBK is useless on the road and for many people, useless on the track.

Originally Posted by jazket
LOL, yah that's a good one...

Hum and btw, guys I was refering to the WHOLE DAMN BRAKE KIT, not just a rotor upgrade, or a pad upgrade, or a caliper upgrade, or tire upgrade, or brake fluid change.... the whole damn thing, as they sell it, with cables and rotors and pads and calipers;

I believe they sell the WHOLE upgrade kit for a reason? Or I'd assume Mitsu shouldn't be spending money on equipping the Evos with a BBK since a brake fluid and pads is all that's needed on a regular lancer (GTS) braking system... But again, Evo's are supposed to be tracked any day of the week

damn, you all start a discussion out of thin effing air!
The data I'm showing is for full upgrades. As I have said again and again, and show results for, a full upgrade (as offered by Stoptech) is a waste of money unless you track the car. Good pads, good fluid and better tires are a much better investment. Mitsubishi offers Brembos because the Evo is a supposedly trackable car from the factory, people are constantly arguing that it's the crazy race car of the group.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i didn't read through the whole BBK argument. If some one cares my opinion, here it is.

Yes, bigger breaks are better, if they can utilize they power. Meaning there are at least the right tires to put the breaking force down to the surface./then you might want to have a suspension set up right , but that is a whole different level/
Other words you will not have additional benefit at the first emergency stop, if you are running snow tires in the summer.
Then gradually will have benefit over the smaller breaks any way, since the BBK will not fade as easy like the stock or smaller ones. Aslo the high speed braking is dramatically better. Example like 100-40 mph or something like that.

As soon as you get real grippy tires like the Toyo R888's or similar , then you will easily notice the BBK benefits over the smaller breaks.

If you actually want to have wider stickier tires or bigger rims then stock , then also the BBK will shine over the OEM.
Fact even if you will have a heavier wheel set up vs the stock one , the break upgrades are a good idea. At least the pads and fluids and break lines .

What i mean by heavier, is either a bigger rims and of course tires, or even a wider rims and tirs or the combination of that.

Also i dont know if the OEM RA wheel spec , will clear the Factory X brembo's.
I'm sure by now some one tried it at least.

I think it would be a good idea to make that upgrade. I'm sure you can find some oem X break set up for sale for relatively cheap. Compere to the other BBK options.

Rob
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Check the data above Rob, even in high speed stops, stock brake systems work just fine. For a single stop, heat isn't an issue, tire grip is the major factor. If you did a 100 MPH stop followed by a 60 MPH stop followed by another 100 MPH, a BBK would show a noticeable difference but what people are talking about here qualifies as a single, one-pop shot braking test. If you're running R-compounds, you're increasing the grip which means more brake torque is required to lock them which I can see putting more stress on the brakes but even that I'm not completely convinced on.
Something to consider is whether the OEM brakes are fixed or floating calipers and what the Evo setup is. This, combined with hub differences, could result in some pad knockback fun.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Check the data above Rob, even in high speed stops, stock brake systems work just fine. For a single stop, heat isn't an issue, tire grip is the major factor. If you did a 100 MPH stop followed by a 60 MPH stop followed by another 100 MPH, a BBK would show a noticeable difference but what people are talking about here qualifies as a single, one-pop shot braking test. If you're running R-compounds, you're increasing the grip which means more brake torque is required to lock them which I can see putting more stress on the brakes but even that I'm not completely convinced on.
Something to consider is whether the OEM brakes are fixed or floating calipers and what the Evo setup is. This, combined with hub differences, could result in some pad knockback fun.
i run same wheel set up same tires, luckily with oem and Project Mu BBk set up.
The difference was night and day. I can lock my wheels at 120mph in the summer with the Mu's. The oem locking started waaaaay under that. at least a half. Not to mention the fading differences. Which was not existent with the Mu's./evo IX RS/

But if you are not tracking a car and you running stock rims with lesser then R compound tires, the BBK will not give you benefits unless you are racing a long period of times. Where the fading issue will come up sooner or later.
As you said with one emergency breaking scenario will have no real benefit over the oem. But that is why they test the OEM breaks like that. Because it is easy to have a "good" results like that.

You have a very good point there, when you said something like this:
For street and for light racing the more beneficial approach to having a better stopping results on the car is the following; have a better , tires, pads , fluids and lines. IF you have a stock size rims and tires.
No argument there. For that the BBK is a simply over shoot and unnecessary.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jun 30, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Locking could be the result of something else. With the project Mu, you're changing the pads as well. I don't know what you mean by locking anyways, locking isn't a speed dependent phenomenon, it's a result of surpassing the brakes (or rather the tires). You can lock up the tires at 20 MPH if you slam them hard enough.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Locking could be the result of something else. With the project Mu, you're changing the pads as well. I don't know what you mean by locking anyways, locking isn't a speed dependent phenomenon, it's a result of surpassing the brakes (or rather the tires). You can lock up the tires at 20 MPH if you slam them hard enough.
it think i wasnt clear then. Locking the wheels to stop them at high speed , need a lots of force. Which the BBK certainly have. There for the breaking force to slow the car down is much bigger. There for a stopping power is much bigger too.
Yes you can lock the wheels at 20mph , but you can do a same at 120????
That is just a demonstration of the force of the break set up.Nothing more.
Also as i said , same wheels and tires- weather.

Just for the record , my oem set up means , OEM Brembo calipper , Slotted rotors, Hawk HP + pads, Tecna fit SS break lines, and Motul RF 600 break fluid. So its not exactly oem thought.

And still the BBK destroyed the "OEM" performance. There is a good reason why they make them. Also , to having more piston is really beneficial. Because they are more evenly apply the the force on the pads.

I think thats all i want to say here.
as i said its my opinion and experience from life. Nothing more or less. Too late now anyway .

Cheers Rob
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I can lock the tires at 120 MPH if I absolutely slam on the brakes, braking force is completely irrelevant of speed since its a product of the pressure in the system, not the speed of the wheels.
If you check one of the links I provided, the schpeel on brake piston number and force is contradicted.
So, when thinking about that big 6-piston caliper conversion, keep in mind that the size and number of caliper pistons on your car were originally matched to the brake pedal and master cylinder to generate an appropriate clamp load for a given brake pedal input force. Changing any one of the components will shift the balance one way (increased pressure required) or the other (higher pedal forces required) to generate the same clamp load. Remember - bigger calipers don't create any more 'stopping power' and they do not 'decrease stopping distance' - they just generate higher clamp loads for a given pressure input.
Manufacturers will make anything they think they can sell. I'm not saying BBKs are useless but they're applicable to only a small fraction of the people who buy them. Most like the bling and pride factor.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:02 PM

Amby I agree to disagree. Quite frankly, I didnt even read your replies as I have my own experiences with big brakes and others that confirm my beliefs for me. You can pick and pull whatever articles you want. If they ever disagree with me, then they are wrong. Its not even that I'm not open to the idea that there are upgrades to a stock system you can do, its just that one should never underestimate the greater mechancal advantage having larger rotors will give. Sure, there is a great heat wicking advantage, but there is also more surface area to increase friction. Whats the #1 aspect of a brake pad? The coefficient of friction. For the same f with more surface area you WILL have more heat... combined with the extra mechanical advantage, you WILL stop faster all things being optimal. And who is to say the brakes arent warmed up on these cars when the editors test them?

I have read everything I can far before I countered your claim. I have some private testing of my own with this. The dsm guys switch to EVO brakes and never look back. The 240sx guys use 300z brakes with huge success. Luckily for your WRX you had great calipers from the start. You imply from your experiences that the only advantage a BBK has is the larger rotor. Well that may be true for you but noone else. Brakes arent magic. Biasing them properly is.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, the arrogance is outstanding, naturally anything that disagrees with you is wrong.
Directly from the articles
By knowing the clamp load generated by the caliper and the coefficient of friction between the pad and rotor, one can calculate the force acting upon the rotor. In this particular example, let's assume the brake pads have a coefficient of friction of 0.45 when pressed against the rotor face. The rotor output force is equal to the clamp force multiplied by the coefficient of friction (which is then doubled because of the 'floating' design of the caliper) - or in this case {2,068 pounds x 0.45 x 2} = 1,861 pounds (see figure 5). Nothing magical about it.
No mention of pad size. Another article (that I provided) has this to say
Contrary to what many might think, total pad area doesn't play into the equation because (which is determined experimentally) is dimensionless, or unit-less, and already accounts for the area of the pad. The advantage of pad area is mostly in wear and increased thermal mass.
Of course what does physics have against your own, clearly unbiased opinion since you're always right?
As I said before, there are more to brakes than just rotor size or caliper size. There could be other reasons why Evo brakes are better than the stock DSM brakes.
You can agree to disagree just as someone has every right in the world to believe the world is flat and 2+2=5.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:14 PM

LOLICIDE

I said the Coefficient of friction was factored in to the brake pad. The AREA of the brake pad is used as a factor in the the coefficient of friction before its even used in the rest of the equation.

You should have some of your own quotes in your sig.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g64fiero
LOLICIDE

I said the Coefficient of friction was factored in to the brake pad. The AREA of the brake pad is used as a factor in the the coefficient of friction before its even used in the rest of the equation.

You should have some of your own quotes in your sig.
And where is pad area in the equations above?
I'm looking right in my physics text book (you know, those big books used by eggheads in universities) and it says that the coefficient of friction (whether static or kinetic) is dimensionless, there is zero mention of area at all.
No mention of area here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frictio...nt_of_friction.
Or here http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...tion#ref135521.
The coefficient of friction is not related to the area or weight of an object. If that was the case, the coefficient of friction for ice (on a glass surface lets say) would change depending on the size of the ice. It doesn't.

Last edited by ambystom01; Jun 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:29 PM

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=920

This backs up what I was saying earlier, I will reference my previous statement as well.

Quick Reply: 09 ralliart vs 09 wrx