Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

handheld tuner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handheld tuner?

i was wondering if anyone made a handheld tuner for our cars, like sct or something that you could load a tune on the car and take it off to take it into the dealer. i contacted cobb tuning and they said they were working on one but it wasnt out yet, i just didnt know if there was already another company out there with one.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know how many of the Mitsu tuners are into PDAs, though if you don't know anything about cars, you might get some hand holding, even if you keep it platonic.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I think most of the tuning programs right now are having you reflash using a laptop. I've used Cobb AccessPorts before, and in all honesty, I'm not a big fan of hand-held reflash hardware. Right now, the best option for RA owners seems to be AMS's base reflash and boost pill. I believe they can give you everything you need through email, too.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

So you're a fan of voiding your warranty and being stuck with an aftermarket mail order tune ? You don't have to agree, but reflashing back to stock at any time has it's benefits. +1 for Cobb
Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd highly recommend not wasting your money on a hand held controller. Go buy a cable and download the EVOflash software. Get a tune from a reputable tuner emailed to you, save your stock tune on your laptop and if you ever need to go back just load it back in. The cable is about $180, the software is free. Tuning varies from tuner to tuner but you will have a lot less in all of this and a better product for less money.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Definitely, yeah that too.... evoflash
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tommy Di Cat
So you're a fan of voiding your warranty and being stuck with an aftermarket mail order tune ? You don't have to agree, but reflashing back to stock at any time has it's benefits. +1 for Cobb
No, but I am a fan of saving the stock map.

Don't get me wrong, Cobb makes great products. But in this day and age, reflashing through a laptop just seems to be a much easier and better alternative.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, reflashing back to stock is too easy with the OpenSource/Tactrix cable option. Just save the stock map, when you need it load it back in. It's just one click.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:06 PM

Where is the best place to purchase this cable? Which cable am I looking at the Evo X or is there one designed for the Ralliart?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Here is where to go for the download of the software:

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

There is also a link there for the cable. It's a Tactrix cable, you want the 2.0 cable.

Just pay attention to what you are downloading, you want version 1.41 or 1.42 and be sure to download the correct version for your laptop type.

I do not have many maps for the Ralliart yet. If you would like me to refer you to someone who can get you a killer map for your car just shoot me a PM.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Here is where to go for the download of the software:

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

There is also a link there for the cable. It's a Tactrix cable, you want the 2.0 cable.

Just pay attention to what you are downloading, you want version 1.41 or 1.42 and be sure to download the correct version for your laptop type.

I do not have many maps for the Ralliart yet. If you would like me to refer you to someone who can get you a killer map for your car just shoot me a PM.
Thanks for posting the link -- too many people here were being unnecessarily mysterious about software. Unfortunately there' doesn't seem to be any solution yet for those of us who use Macs, but looks likely in the future.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

There is a solution. Forget the Mac, you can pick up a laptop, new for about $300 to do all the tuning you need to do. Still cheaper than the Cobb stuff and a tune.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
? I have ECUFlash and MacLogger for my Mac.

Dave is right one here though.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

And i thought the Iphone had an app for everything!
Would be nice tho
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Just buy a netbook they are cheap and perfect for this (that is what I did, it's compact, and more then powerful enough for flashing)
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is a solution. Forget the Mac, you can pick up a laptop, new for about $300 to do all the tuning you need to do. Still cheaper than the Cobb stuff and a tune.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I don't use MAC, I didn't know if they had an application for that or not. I guess so!

Quick Reply: handheld tuner?