Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Have any of you guys thought about the RA Sportback?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you guys thought about the RA Sportback?

Was at the dealer the other day (getting info on buying winter tires from them) and while waiting I was drooling over the various RAs they had. One thing that caught my eye was the sportback model (they had 2, 1 base, 1 premium). I think it would be handy as a DD with the ability to carry more stuff (let's face it, the trunk on the RA sedan is small). And it looks nice compared to other sport hatchbacks (I'm looking at you wrx). But I think I prefer the rear end on the sedan (love how the tails look angry at me ). Hmm, kinda thinking that one over (maybe the dealer will sell me the premium one for a steal ). Lol, what do you guys think of them.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't seen a Sportback in person because we don't have them in the States yet (not until Sept.). From looking at the pictures though I prefer the sedan which is why I bought the Ralliart sedan instead of waiting until September for the Sportback. The Sportback isn't terrible looking but when you have a choice between the sedan or sportback the sedan looks way better.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

I find the sportback to look better in person then in the pics ive seen. But I still like the look of the sedan over it any day.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I say you won't go wrong with either of them, but the Sportback, there arent many on the streets (barely any lol) and you'll be special for a couple months

Plus I think over the two, the hatchback would turn more heads just cause it's hatchbutt is catchy and weird
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still *really* considering getting an R/A. I've been debating whether I would get the sportback, or the sedan. Of course, it would be so damn convenient to have the extra space that comes with having a wagon, and I think it looks pretty good from the pics I saw - just not *as good* as the sedan IMO.. If I do ever get around to buying one, I'll probably base my decision on the price of each - which will most likely favor the sedan.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
I say you won't go wrong with either of them, but the Sportback, there arent many on the streets (barely any lol) and you'll be special for a couple months

Plus I think over the two, the hatchback would turn more heads just cause it's hatchbutt is catchy and weird
yeah, this is probably why it drew my eye, since lancer sedans are common place. Though it would look 100% better if it came with similar dark tail lights as the RA sedan.

Last edited by kal0051; Jul 15, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by madcows
I'm still *really* considering getting an R/A. I've been debating whether I would get the sportback, or the sedan. Of course, it would be so damn convenient to have the extra space that comes with having a wagon, and I think it looks pretty good from the pics I saw - just not *as good* as the sedan IMO.. If I do ever get around to buying one, I'll probably base my decision on the price of each - which will most likely favor the sedan.
well, don't know about the US but in Canada the sportback is like $500 more than the sedan (not sure why though). You'd be able to get the same price for both I'd assume (unless your dealer has a ton of sedans to move and no sportbacks)

But yeah, I know what your talking about with the space, it's not like you'd use it all the time but when you need it you'd be glad it's there.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I personally just don't like the look of "sportbacks" in general, but as far as they go it doesn't look too bad.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually don't mind the looks of the sportback. I think it's functionality makes up for the "not as good looking as the sedan." I also think they look better in person, even though I haven't seen one myself, lol.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

I was originally holding out for a sportback because of the amount of space, but the more I looked at the sedan, I just couldn't pass up it's great looks. I still haven't seen the sportback in person, but I think they are great looking compared to other hatches on the market.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kal0051
yeah, this is probably why it drew my eye, since lancer sedans are common place. Though it would look 100% better if it came with similar dark tail lights as the RA sedan.
oh dont worry... Mitsubishi will come out with better taillights next year, after you've bought yours.... don't they always haha
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
oh dont worry... Mitsubishi will come out with better taillights next year, after you've bought yours.... don't they always haha
lol, that's the law of early adopters!! Tinting them would probably make them look better (and not even a dark tint, just a light one).

Hmm, maybe I'll swing by the mits dealer near my work tonight and take a couple pics. I think they have at least 1 sportback on the lot.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kal0051
Lol, what do you guys think of them.
I think if I wanted to buy a station wagon I would have bought a WRX.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
I think if I wanted to buy a station wagon I would have bought a
WRX.
yeah, but the new WRX is butt ugly. At least the RA still looks aggressive. IMO it's pretty sharp for a station wagon.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Wagons like the sportback are probably a bit longer than hatchbacks like the Mazda3. Also, the sportback seems to rake back pretty significantly giving it more of an aero look over typical hatchbacks. The only other thing that makes me like the sedan more is that it most likely is structurally stiffer than the wagon.

Quick Reply: Have any of you guys thought about the RA Sportback?