Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Putting car in neutral when rolling to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009 | 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C2Rally
At longer lights or stopped for periods in traffic longer than expected ie construction zones I always put it in neutral or park. The SST gives the 'feeling' of an automatic with creeping along at stop lights ect. The SST is actually slipping the clutches to simulate this, so if you think it wont wear out the clutch faster the more you sit there with your foot on the break in gear then id be surprised. Only time will tell with the longer the SST is around and what long term issues come up!
our clutches are sitting in an oil bath, very similar to a motorcucle clutch setup, so in theory they will never burn up unless you are riding them extremely hard, like staging or burnout situations. regular use, even if riding them at low speeds in traffic to create that automatic feeling, will not put any sort of astronomical wear on the clutches as they are constantly re-lubricating themselves as they spin into and out of the oil just ask anybody who drives a motorcycle a lot of miles how often, if ever, they have changed their clutch, unless of course, like i said, doing burnouts

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Sep 7, 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Sep 8, 2009 | 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
our clutches are sitting in an oil bath, very similar to a motorcucle clutch setup, so in theory they will never burn up unless you are riding them extremely hard, like staging or burnout situations. regular use, even if riding them at low speeds in traffic to create that automatic feeling, will not put any sort of astronomical wear on the clutches as they are constantly re-lubricating themselves as they spin into and out of the oil just ask anybody who drives a motorcycle a lot of miles how often, if ever, they have changed their clutch, unless of course, like i said, doing burnouts
Yes, with your foot on the brake while it's still in gear may not fry the clutch packs, but there is still *some* wear and tear through friction. In the situations C2Rally mentioned, I would put it in neutral (if I owned one, heh).
Old Sep 10, 2009 | 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
Yes, with your foot on the brake while it's still in gear may not fry the clutch packs, but there is still *some* wear and tear through friction.
please elaborate and include what mechanical knowledge you have to back that up. not trying to be a jerk, but its kinda silly to just make a closed ended statement like that without any explanation.

i also failed to clarify my post because burnouts arent technically the only thing thats gonna wear out a wet-clutch. obviously launching the car thats not equipped with a proper launch mode is going to do it also. and any slippage caused from higher torque than the clutches are designed to handle during shifts or application is going to cause a problem, hence the torque protection in the tcu. i was under the impression, however, that based on the fact that most of us are using this car as a daily driver, are limited to the minor modifications currently available to us in the aftermarket, and are not pushing out mad-crazy numbers like ams, and so we are all relatively near original power/torque numbers and will not experience conditions extreme enough to put the transmission anywhere near "torque protection" mode. plus, come on, the op is asking about putting it in neutral on hills and at stop lights, i know if i had that same question, usually referencing fuel savings or "hypermiling", i wouldnt be driving a supped up ralliart.

like rotorglow said, the only real concern that you face in this situation is going to be the lack of cooling from oil-flow because there is no auxillary trans-oil pump, therefore turning the transmission and all of its delicate components into one giant heat-sink. best advice is to just leave it in gear and deal with it. conservative driving has shown me well over 30mpg average on the highway and mid-20's average with mixed highway/local driving. not that i do that very often as my right foot has a tendency to get kinda heavy when driving, but i had to try it and see what was possible.

madcows, again, please dont feel like im picking on you or trying to be difficult, just wanna hear your explanation as to why you would say that. and thanks for reading to anyone willing to put up with all of that -end
Old Sep 10, 2009 | 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

along with abnormally long lights or traffic for neutral+ebrake manual also states not to rest your hand on shifter... (I'm assuming so you don't go into neutral by accident)... I used to throw it in neutral a lot but I stopped after I got time to read the manual
Old Sep 11, 2009 | 03:37 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
Yes, with your foot on the brake while it's still in gear may not fry the clutch packs, but there is still *some* wear and tear through friction. In the situations C2Rally mentioned, I would put it in neutral (if I owned one, heh).
I believe at a complete stop, the automatic will disengage both clutches, as if you were pressing in the clutch pedal on a stick shift. The only time when it'll let the clutch plates slip is when it needs to do so during low speed creeping.

It specifically states that if you're going uphill slowly, do not let the car creep. I believe that's to maintain the life of the clutch plates.

Also, during very long stops, it says put it in neutral or park, so the transmission doesn't have to hold the clutch plates open for so long.
Old Sep 12, 2009 | 04:52 PM

i think i need to read the manual more often bout the shifting procedures