Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What's your story behind your Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in...winter '07 I was driving my old '05 Tiburon home from work. It was a normal, winter evening: dark by 5pm, some snow falling, cold. Going about 45-55mph on the same freeway I've taken to get home since forever, I hit a patch of black ice on one of the corners.

The rear end swung out, but I had control of the vehicle still - driving sideways on ice doesn't phase me usually - until the rear end hit another patch of black ice and completely swung over. I felt the car spin towards the center (cement) median, deciding that I didn't want to die - I steered it away from the center median and towards the shoulder, where there was lots of melted snow & wet grass to stop properly.

According to the wapce who was driving behind me, I did 3-4 full revolutions, somehow missed a Suburban that was in the passing lane, went off the road into the shoulder, and down the ditch between the onramp and freeway. I still had momentum...then flew out of the ditch OVER the onramp in between two merging semi's and did one more spin on the snow/grass before coming to a halt.

When I got out of the car, I was expecting there to be broken bumper covers/side skirts everywhere. I looked around, there was a small hole in the bottom of my front bumper cover - that was it. I 'd for a second, realizing that I nearly escaped death in so many different ways. I didn't drive the Tibby for the rest of the winter; and decided right there, that I needed good - safe - AWD vehicle for the winter months. Picked up my RA before heavy winter hit in '08. Been happy since.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
too bad the ralliart doesnt have an option for a traditional maual trans... still a great car tho.

i wonder if anyone will try a tranny swap on it..?
tru but swapping transmission wouldnt be very smart and very expensive. U have two choices the GTS tranny.......well yea we kno what would happen there and the GSR which i am sure is $$$$$. Maybe later on we will see a manual tranny once this gen RA is more established.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DetroitRA
Back in...winter '07 I was driving my old '05 Tiburon home from work. It was a normal, winter evening: dark by 5pm, some snow falling, cold. Going about 45-55mph on the same freeway I've taken to get home since forever, I hit a patch of black ice on one of the corners.

The rear end swung out, but I had control of the vehicle still - driving sideways on ice doesn't phase me usually - until the rear end hit another patch of black ice and completely swung over. I felt the car spin towards the center (cement) median, deciding that I didn't want to die - I steered it away from the center median and towards the shoulder, where there was lots of melted snow & wet grass to stop properly.

According to the wapce who was driving behind me, I did 3-4 full revolutions, somehow missed a Suburban that was in the passing lane, went off the road into the shoulder, and down the ditch between the onramp and freeway. I still had momentum...then flew out of the ditch OVER the onramp in between two merging semi's and did one more spin on the snow/grass before coming to a halt.

When I got out of the car, I was expecting there to be broken bumper covers/side skirts everywhere. I looked around, there was a small hole in the bottom of my front bumper cover - that was it. I 'd for a second, realizing that I nearly escaped death in so many different ways. I didn't drive the Tibby for the rest of the winter; and decided right there, that I needed good - safe - AWD vehicle for the winter months. Picked up my RA before heavy winter hit in '08. Been happy since.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnn.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to own a RR 08 GTS CVT. I liked the car at first.. then i was getting sick of how slow it was. I did some upgrades to it, but when it came time to slap a turbo on it, i hit the brakes and realized that my cars tranny would not hold up to boost.. So few days later i totally forgot about the turbo kit that i was gonna order and scheduled a tranny flush with a dealer thats about 1 hour away from my house ( the one mitsubishi that was close closed down) so when i got there, i turned my car over to the mechanics so they can do their thing and i went into the show room to check out few cars.. THERE IT WAS A GG 09 Ralliart. I fell in love with it, but after seeing a sticker price of 27K i said eghhhh way too much for my pocket... but i did test drove it to get a feel for how turbo car feels like.. After test drive i drove home in my slow lancer gts cvt. when i got home told my parents about it, and conned my dad actually into going with me the next day to test drive it, he loved it as well... the sticker price stayed 27.9k they would not lower a cent! week goes buy i get a call from that mitsu dealer who told me that they dropped the prices on the ralliarts,,, they told me they would sell it to me for 25k, still not al lot.. so i grabbed my pops and header to mitsu dealer, neadless to say after we got done with them i got my ralliart for 22k flat out the door.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well I fell in love with the Evo X as soon as the concept pics came out and I said I'm getting one. Jan 08 I had to get a new company car but the X wasn't out yet Not having the time to wait for the X I picked up a VRX (GTS) model instead to drive and use as trade for the X. Jan 09 comes around and I'm at the dealers looking at upgrading. They offer me $27k trade for the VRX (GTS) paid $31K for it and they even had the paperwork written up. Only problem is that my GF had written off her car and being out of town needed transport. Laws in Australia dont allow anyone under 21 to drive a turbo car or anything bigger than a 4 cyl. So this fact ruled out the Evo X (no way in hell would I let her drive it). Talks with the bank said I could keep the VRX (GTS) for her and get a Ralliart for me to drive.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedie
Laws in Australia dont allow anyone under 21 to drive a turbo car or anything bigger than a 4 cyl.
No kidding?? That's cool and lame at the same time.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah they got sick of kids killing themselves in High performance imports, and old dodgey V8s
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

well, it was time for a new ride as my old one had clocked over 140k, so was on the prowl originally for the newer model (jzx110), but had a new addition to the family (a puppy) so needed a wagon / hatch (came from a subie background - 2001 bugeye hatch). then tried to see if i could import the evo ix wagon, but couldn't get import approval, so had to scratch that from the list. the new subies looked rank and tossed up the idea of a liberty gt wagon, but came across the ralliart sportback (as i loved the evo x, but that only came in sedan) which ticked all the boxes (hatch, plus sst so the wife can drive it auto and i have my manual) practicality and power, so put the money down and off she went to get modded and fix the short comings that came with the car
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by speedie
Laws in Australia dont allow anyone under 21 to drive a turbo car or anything bigger than a 4 cyl.
This law isnt australia wide tho. Im 20 in south australia and own a evo ix must just be certain states.