Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Problem with intercooler install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with intercooler install

Well I installed my evo x intercooler and pipes yesterday and now have an issue. Their is a distinct vibration resonating from the motor at 5,000 rpm and up. I can also hear the turbo slowing spool. It also spools too quickly almost like the wastegate was adjusted. I used a boost leak tester and found 1 at the bpv and fixed it, but all the sounds are their still. Any ideas?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

are you tuned?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

^for an OEM Evo X FMIC swap? Would you really need a tune for that? Tommy, how was the install? I'm hooking my buddy with a RA up with my Evo X pipes and IC when I swap out for the ETS pipes and AMS FMIC.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

just wondering if he was tuned before adding it.. hrmmm. yeah it shouldn't really be a problem i cant see it leaning you out that much even with a tune before hand.

Last edited by Jyrk; Sep 15, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

No it doesn't need a tune yet. The licp didn't line up to all three bolts ( not that it matters). The intercooler itself was rough lining up the couplers. If they were silicon it would've been easier. Everything else excapt for the BPV was easy since i used all X pipes. I just bought the uicp and licp from Ultimate Racing cause i don't trust the X flexing pipes. Either way the noise is weird and will continue to search, unless someone has an idea.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

You should think about logging your car for a couple days using EvoScan. Glance at the interface while you drive, and see if you notice anything odd. Save the log and ask if someone can take a look at it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

umm yeah..get it tuned..especially with the pipes.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
umm yeah..get it tuned..especially with the pipes.

he doesnt need a tune. The cars afr will lean out a bit, but not even close to anywhere dangerous.

He is just fine in that regard. The vibration would be from the install itself. Did you move the boost solenoid?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
Account Disabled

and please dont try to disagree with me, i ran the evo x intercooler and piping for 3 weeks without a tune, without issue, and logged it to make sure everything was fine.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Tommy Di Cat
Well I installed my evo x intercooler and pipes yesterday and now have an issue. Their is a distinct vibration resonating from the motor at 5,000 rpm and up. I can also hear the turbo slowing spool. It also spools too quickly almost like the wastegate was adjusted. I used a boost leak tester and found 1 at the bpv and fixed it, but all the sounds are their still. Any ideas?
as for ideas, do you have a boost gauge? The telling of the tail would be if your spiking something godly, as to weather the wastegate has been effected.

More then likely maybe something came loose, or was dropped... never hurts to triple check.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

we all need to know a few info...

1st.. list of mods....

2nd... we need pics.... and maybe a vid.. or sound clip of what you are hearing....

3rd.... what was the total parts you installed???

from what i have read.... it sound like something like the intake might be loose, not connected or cracked?? any CEL??... my gti did that when i cracked my airbox.... sound like a turbo jet engine sucking everything up lol... but it drop a CEL right after... for seeing over boost and maf was below the threshold.... with the boost leak being done already.... hearing the boost echo in sold pipes are normal but it WILL not make your turbo spool faster.... now with the vibration it could be something is loose or even the evox IC is not setting correctly.... what kind of vibration noise you are hearing??
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
and please dont try to disagree with me, i ran the evo x intercooler and piping for 3 weeks without a tune, without issue, and logged it to make sure everything was fine.
you do realize that all cars handle mods differently. some cars can run them fine others may need some tweaking.. But your almighty knowledge must know this already.
I liked it better when your account was disabled.

I would just double check and make sure everything is snug. make sure all clamps are tight and if that doesnt work, try tossing your old stuff back in and see if it still does it. Maybe a problem that has nothing to do with the fmic. All else fails use a large mallet or sledge it should fix any problem.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yes I have a boost gauge nothing odd there. I read a post from the X forums about a kazoo sound that's what i hear a high revs. That's why i bought the solid pipes from UR.
Originally Posted by secondchace
as for ideas, do you have a boost gauge? The telling of the tail would be if your spiking something godly, as to weather the wastegate has been effected.

More then likely maybe something came loose, or was dropped... never hurts to triple check.

Last edited by Tommy Di Cat; Sep 16, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

no no tune is not really needed with an evo swap; not even the ams needs a tune to run... you wanna get a tune to squeez the crap out of it but you can still run the car fine the way it is;

look for leakages around the couplers... I'd recommend you take off your bumper and inspect the whole setup again... what type of couplers are you using?

Make sure your pipes are fitted and tight, re-do the whole thing again and don't put your bumper back until you've inspected all of it; tell someone to rev- the car for you and check all the couplings and connections between the turbo, upper pipe, front mount and lower pipe;

it should be something simple... oh and how many miles have been put on that Evo X fmic? where u get it from?

that's about all i can think of right now!

edit: yes regarding the boost solenoid (pill) did you mess around with that? like swaping it for a different one like AMSs?

Last edited by jazket; Sep 16, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

No i would never touch the pill without a tune. It's weird too cause this is my 2nd factory turboed car and 3rd if you count a custom setup. I've never had a problem like this before. Thanks for all your posts so far.