Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WRX vs Ralliart Thread...again...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
What would have been nice is if they gave the two vehicles the same tires in the same spec size. Giving the RA RE050As and then talking about how great the handling is is really a bit unfair. The RE050As are pretty good tires and I'm sure the WRX's handling (as indicated with slalom and skid pad results) would improve as well.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SmikeEvo - its not funny. Edited.

Like I said take these two cars do up grade for upgrade then run them again. I understand they did the upgrades to the cars they thought were going to improve it the most but, that's was in there opinion and stock tires/heavier model made it unfair. I was surprised at the fact that the brakes on the R/A were considered that bad stock. The brakes IMO are I big improvement over the GTS's. Then again mine hasn't seen any road courses either. Subbies are good cars bullet proof almost, But the R/A is one hell of a building platform to start from. And I am sure that this wont be the last comparison of the new WRX vs. R/A Rivalry.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 22, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

How much heavier is the sport back? Are we talking about 50 lbs or 200 lbs?
From what I remember, aren't the Ralliart brakes shared with another vehicle, like the Outander or Endeavor?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Brake. Brake. Brake.

Watch the video. They go into all the details.

Big handicap was the tires. Ran the OEM RA tires - crappy.
I would, but I keep checking this thread from work. Bah, I guess I have to check when I get home.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

The WRX is the better performing car out of the box, but the RA is more appealling for me (like several magazine reviews have already pointed out). Blessed with some real Evo hardware, and that clutchless auto-manual tranny which is something you don't normally find standard in a $25K (base) AWD car... it is the ultimate econobox daily driver. If you want it to have decent performance on the track (compared to other cars in the same price range), swap out the tires and tune it... or go all-out w/ full bolt-ons!

Potential counts a lot too. :-) Plus the deals that can be had on these cars, 0% APR & hefty rebates on the Ralliarts, what's not to like?

Last edited by tipoytm; Oct 22, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
How much heavier is the sport back? Are we talking about 50 lbs or 200 lbs?
From what I remember, aren't the Ralliart brakes shared with another vehicle, like the Outander or Endeavor?
Yes its the outlander (Same size as GTS and front vented but with 2 pistons in the front 1 in rear..GTS 1F and 1R) and the Hatch puts on A hefty 138 lbs.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

The potential doesn't really hold any water. It's not the WRX is fully tuned from the factory, it has a lot of potential as well, certainly as much as the Ralliart. What it boils down to is what car you personally like. There's no need to rationalize it by diminishing the competition.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by show time
Yes its the outlander (Same size as GTS and front vented but with 2 pistons in the front 1 in rear..GTS 1F and 1R) and the Hatch puts on A hefty 138 lbs.
Number of pistons in the caliper doesn't necessarily translate to better brakes, it's more complicated than that. If the calipers are indeed the same size (as in the overall piston size is the same) and the pressure in the system is the same, the brakes are fundamentally the same from a strict braking force perspective.
Jeez that's a hefty increase for a hatchback.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

The potential doesn't really hold any water. It's not the WRX is fully tuned from the factory, it has a lot of potential as well, certainly as much as the Ralliart. What it boils down to is what car you personally like. There's no need to rationalize it by diminishing the competition.
I agree with you, was just saying the RA has a lot of potential to perform at a similar level as the WRX, didn't explicitly say that it would outperform the WRX mod-for-mod, tune-for-tune. The WRX is a great car, but the overall feel and driving experience of the RA is prefered by numerous professional car reveiwers. You're adding unnecessary meaning to my posts again

Since both cars are close in performance (refering to the Edmunds review), it's going to boil down to what the buyer prefers. If I had the money, as I pointed out before... it'll go to the Ralliart.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say the overall feel and driving experience is preferred, they like some aspects of the Ralliart more just as they like some aspects of the WRX more.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
By the way MRT BBK is $2100 US.
The PDF that I downloaded listed the MRT brake upgrade for the Ralliart as $850. I wonder what that could include. Also, the "ECU tuning and exhaust" was listed at over $4,000.

Either way, I'm disappointed in the level of transparency that provided in their written materials. Certainly not worth submitting an email address over. Maybe there were some materials that I missed, but I'm not too impressed thus far. At this point, I'm just going to start focusing on my own car and individual gains I see from mod to mod.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say the overall feel and driving experience is preferred, they like some aspects of the Ralliart more just as they like some aspects of the WRX more.
Just quoting a few publication/expert reviews: (Bolded statements about driving feel/experience)

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...mktid=cj260233#

1st place: 2009 Ralliart
2nd place: 2009 WRX

"Though we're sure some of you are surprised that we'd pick an automatic (well, automated-clutch) gearbox over a three pedal car, trust us, the Lancer's tranny is that good. And when you factor in the Mitsubishi's greater sporting character, meaning the superior steering feel, sharper handling and more supportive sport seats, you can see why it won this tight race. True, the Ralliart is more money ($30,065 versus $28,160 for the WRX, but keep in mind it comes with the trick tranny) and needs better tires. But the latter is nothing a few clicks on tirerack.com and a subsequent visit to your local tire shop for an install can't easily fix. The stock tires? We'd sign up for some autocrosses or track days and burn 'em off before we put the new ones on. "

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...ralliart-14816

"And so to our 'everyday' verdict.
Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses but they don't cross over. The Subaru engine is better, but the Mitsubishi gearbox is far superior. Both are powerful, responsive and provide great bang for the buck.
In a perfect world you'd be able to buy a composite of the two; a Ralliart powered by the WRX engine. But it isn't a perfect world and that being the case, the Ralliart gets our nod.
It may be harder than the Lancer VRX and softer than the Evolution, but the Ralliart has a real sense of purpose. Unlike the WRX that became a hatchback that went soft and is now trying to rediscover its mojo, the Ralliart is the product of a clear mission statement.
So Mitsubishi wins this battle."

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mazd...-ralliart.html

"Frankly, we're a little confused by Subaru's strategy. It's the most expensive car in the test, yet it's the least involving to drive. And, symmetrical all-wheel drive or not, its powertrain doesn't come close to matching the Ralliart's sophistication or confidence.

The 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, however, puts up a genuine fight with a good overall driving experience and lots of amenities. If it cost $1,000 less and had better tires, the Ralliart would win this contest hands down."

Last edited by tipoytm; Oct 23, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

So the first one they pick the Ralliart but say nothing about overall driving experience or feel, they're simply enamored by the TC-SST. It should be noted that the Ralliart was also wearing the RE050s in that review, which draws into question the conclusions as better tires would result in sharper handling, better steering feel and a more sporting character.

Mitsu was kind enough to swap out the tires on our tester for some Bridgestone Potenza RE050s and even though the tires were used, the difference was notable, especially in the slalom where the Ralliart's speed improved from 65.6 mph to 69.3 mph -- a "ginormous" difference according to our test jockey and one mph faster than the WRX. Mitsubishi, if you're reading this, please upgrade the Ralliart's tires; this car deserves better.
Edmunds also flips back and forth, I think because there are different editors who end up writing on the same car (as you can see with the review I posted). The second is more of the same (WRX better in these regards, Ralliart better in these areas) and the third says the Ralliart has a good overall driving experience, not superior or great. The third also involves the 2008 WRX, not the 2009 and was published before the Ralliart was even available. Beating the 2008 WRX is like beating a puppy, sure you can do it but you sure as hell won't brag about it.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Edmunds also flips back and forth, I think because there are different editors who end up writing on the same car (as you can see with the review I posted). The second is more of the same (WRX better in these regards, Ralliart better in these areas) and the third says the Ralliart has a good overall driving experience, not superior or great. The third also involves the 2008 WRX, not the 2009 and was published before the Ralliart was even available. Beating the 2008 WRX is like beating a puppy, sure you can do it but you sure as hell won't brag about it.
Still those are professional reviews, certainly their opinion holds weight a hundred fold vs. ours on this thread.

Ooops, just realized the 3rd one is on the 08... still, that's 2 out of 3 reviews against the 09.

Last edited by tipoytm; Oct 23, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
Still those are professional reviews, certainly their opinion holds weight a hundred fold vs. ours on this thread.

Ooops, just realized the 3rd one is on the 08... still, that's 2 out of 3 reviews against the 09.
We're talking about Edmunds here, I wouldn't put much weight in what they say. Remember, they're the same publication that reported a 0-60 of 6.X seconds when they first tested the Ralliart. The review you posted has been discussed ad nauseum on here and Edmunds themselves felt it was worth repeating themselves. In the repeat, when the Ralliart was on stock tires, the WRX was the winner. That's the review I posted.
If we go by the numbers, the WRX comes out ahead by a mile. How many reviews rank it ahead of the Ralliart? C&D reviews, R&T reviews, Motortrend reviews, Edmunds reviews, etc. As I said before, it boils down to what car you personally like. There's no point in digging up reviews from online sources like Edmunds or that australian site just to justify your purchase or preference.