Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WRX vs Ralliart Thread...again...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I said (repeat, I agree with you), it boils down to personal preference. Merely pointing out that the Ralliart has pretty good driving feel/experience.... we already know the WRX has better performance numbers around the track stock-for-stock (tires included). Both of them are neither superior or inferior to each other if you look at the big picture, just depends what you are looking for in a car.

Since my preference is on a more DD oriented car w/ competitive-enough performance on the track, I would put the Ralliart ahead of the WRX.

Never said the WRX is inferior, stop being so defensive, we all know how much you love your car This thread is suppose to be informative, let's not turn this into another pissing war.

Last edited by tipoytm; Oct 23, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STOP (please?)
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

138lbs plus 3580... so the sportback is a 3700+ pounds pork?

holy crap

Edit:
Let me say that again.... Holy Crap

Last edited by jazket; Oct 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: needed to repeat "holy crap"
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

^ The sportback is definitely not intended for people who go to the track.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
138lbs plus 3580... so the sportback is a 3700+ pounds pork?

holy crap

Edit:
Let me say that again.... Holy Crap
3580 is the curb weight of the sportback (10 lbs heavier than the MR, I believe). The Ralliart Sedan is 3462, so 118 lbs lighter.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Sigh... why does the edit feature never work?

Anyway, Edmunds lists the 2009 WRX's curb weight at 3229. So it has 351 lb advantage over the Ralliart sportback and a 233 lb weight advantage over the Ralliart sedan.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah, but Ralliart focus is fast shifts so I'm thinking on a track that has many turns. Ralliart would overtake WRX. In a straight line stock vs. stock WRX wins.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by tipoytm
That's what I said (repeat, I agree with you), it boils down to personal preference. Merely pointing out that the Ralliart has pretty good driving feel/experience.... we already know the WRX has better performance numbers around the track stock-for-stock (tires included). Both of them are neither superior or inferior to each other if you look at the big picture, just depends what you are looking for in a car.

Since my preference is on a more DD oriented car w/ competitive-enough performance on the track, I would put the Ralliart ahead of the WRX.

Never said the WRX is inferior, stop being so defensive, we all know how much you love your car This thread is suppose to be informative, let's not turn this into another pissing war.
You've pointed that out using two reviews, one of which is fundamentally flawed. I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just think the logic behind it is faulty.
I'm not being defensive, I don't own an 09 WRX so I don't really care. I would prefer that these threads actually stay objective and not degrade into biased statement against biased statement.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GraphiteRalli
Yeah, but Ralliart focus is fast shifts so I'm thinking on a track that has many turns. Ralliart would overtake WRX. In a straight line stock vs. stock WRX wins.
Even in autocross, the WRX is faster. It corners better, brakes better and goes better, fast shifts mean nothing when the rest of the car can't keep up.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
You've pointed that out using two reviews, one of which is fundamentally flawed. I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just think the logic behind it is faulty.
I'm not being defensive, I don't own an 09 WRX so I don't really care. I would prefer that these threads actually stay objective and not degrade into biased statement against biased statement.
Sure, those edmunds editors can shove it up their a$$... their opinions are always garbage and there's no point in reading all that crap

Oh, I thought you drive a WRX... did you trade it in for another car?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
Sure, those edmunds editors can shove it up their a$$... their opinions are always garbage and there's no point in reading all that crap

Oh, I thought you drive a WRX... did you trade it in for another car?
Read what I wrote again, the review you linked to had the Ralliart wearing non-OEM tires, the RE050s. It's clear that this can skew the results. Edmunds appears to have felt the same way since they revisited the comparison using the OEM tires.
I drive an 07 WRX, a very different car. It'd like saying that everyone who drives an Evo VIII must love the Evo X.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

^ Oh so you still drive a rex (didn't know it isn't an 09). Anyway, generally speaking (not in all cases)... an Evo VIII driver would still prefer (or defend?) another Evo over a Subie. Human nature.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

It's more than just fast shifts. Though some claim to not notice the difference between the drivetrains in daily driving; I think a person would have to be particularly numb to not feel those differences while performance driving. The drivetrain on the 09 WRX is fundamentally the same as every WRX that predated it, and I can tell you that, personally, I can tell the difference between the two even in daily driving conditions.

The drivetrain on the RA is lightyears ahead of the WRX's, and the mechanical differentials are worth the difference in weight (see the difference between the WRX and STI's curb weight ~200). I doubt an STI owner would ever question the inclusion of a more advanced driveline at the cost of a weight advantage in the WRX's favor. The only time it doesn't work in the STI's favor is in a straightline. Mod your WRX to your heart's content, and it's going to have a hard time keeping up with an STI around a track.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:15 PM

I see. Well seems like the Soobie had the upper hand. But in personal opinion. 09 vs 09 Ralliart looks wayyy better than WRX. I personally think they did a really bad job with the body changes for WRX.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I see. Well seems like the Soobie had the upper hand. But in personal opinion. 09 vs 09 Ralliart looks wayyy better than WRX. I personally think they did a really bad job with the body changes for WRX.
True, but if you look at their (both the WRX and the Ralliart's) lineage, it makes sense. The looks of the EVO, STI and WRX (and now the RA) have always been an... umm... acquired taste. Bugeyes were almost universally lambasted, but the looks grew on a lot of people. In fact, every change to the Impreza line were radical and meet with scrutiny. The Lancer family seems to have a slightly more popular appeal, but most Lancers still stick out in a crowd.