Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Got new 2010 RA sportback, wanna know the maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice car!!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
Congrats Octane Blue is great. Not digging all the badges but if u like em then just tell me to screw offI would suggest after your car is done its break-in period, switch it to synthetic oil, which you should always run in a turbo car(don't understand why the RA didn't from the factory but oh well). Dealers will charge $80-100 for synthetic oil change or you can spend $40 or so and do it yourself if u are comfortable with that. 225 is the widest tire that fits on the stock rims(if u are sticking with them) and would be a nice improvement.
UMMMMMMMMMMM I am pretty sure that the car comes with Full synthetic from the dealer ship. It is the only recommended oil in the users manual, so I would have to guess that they wouldn't fill it up with a different blend. Who or where did you hear that it wasn't?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:18 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I copied this from some site about breaking in race motors:

Q: If break- in happens so quickly, why do you recommend using petroleum break- in oil for 1500 miles ??

A: Because while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Street riding isn't a controlled environment, so most of the mileage may
not be in "ring loading mode". Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by odin
Btw, what kinda 225 tires are recommended (Not much snow here in TN, no need for winter foot but rains a lot...)
Here is a great link for u. Its Car and Drivers top 10 budget tires article from a few months back. Tire Rack has great prices so check them out.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Originally Posted by show time
UMMMMMMMMMMM I am pretty sure that the car comes with Full synthetic from the dealer ship. It is the only recommended oil in the users manual, so I would have to guess that they wouldn't fill it up with a different blend. Who or where did you hear that it wasn't?
Look at the pic that I attached. It is of the Evo X engine bay. All cars that come from the factory with synthetic oil have a sticker just like that one so the techs know to put synthetic in when they change the oil if u forget to tell them. I haven't seen a RA with that sticker. Also I called my dealer before I did my break-in oil change to ask about price of oil change and they said that it was $35 for normal oil change but they suggested to pay the extra $ and switch to synthetic and they were baffled to why it didn't come from the factory with it.
Attached Thumbnails Got new 2010 RA sportback, wanna know the maintenance-modp_0910_10_o-2008_mitsubishi_evo_x_and_2008_subaru_impreza_sti-evo_x_engine_bay.jpg  
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:25 PM

Congrats on the car! The paint looks hot and I like those stickers man. I also got a 5 year warranty paint coating from the dealership but we shall see how long it last eh? Shiny shiny is my car!!

People on this forum have hang ups with LED/neon lights and stickers but just don't get too fast and furious with the decals and rice stuff and you will be ok

I had the oil changed at 600 miles and then 1300 miles cause I read you should change the oil at least once or twice during the break in period. I figured that was a good idea to spend the extra money cause it cant hurt the car, but only benefit or do nothing at all. (my wallet has been complaining ever since I bought this car cause I spend more money on it than my girlfriend )

The dealership had non-synthetic in there, then at 1300 I changed to full synthetic. I can't say why they didn't have synthetic in there to begin with but the seal argument doesn't sound like a load of crap, but what do I know. Besides I had to change the oil twice so I figured regular oil wouldn't be that bad since I was driving pretty carefully (but not too carefully) for the break in. But what do I know.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
Here is a great link for u. Its Car and Drivers top 10 budget tires article from a few months back. Tire Rack has great prices so check them out.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Look at the pic that I attached. It is of the Evo X engine bay. All cars that come from the factory with synthetic oil have a sticker just like that one so the techs know to put synthetic in when they change the oil if u forget to tell them. I haven't seen a RA with that sticker. Also I called my dealer before I did my break-in oil change to ask about price of oil change and they said that it was $35 for normal oil change but they suggested to pay the extra $ and switch to synthetic and they were baffled to why it didn't come from the factory with it.
THX a lot!
1. Looks like "Dunlop" is the way to go
2. YEP, no OEM oil sticker for RA at all... C'mom, we've got the same 4B11T! (as least ALMOST the same LOL)

Last edited by odin; Oct 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not feeling the stickers, sorry. Its your car tho, to each his own. Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy the new found speed.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tappington
Congrats on the car! The paint looks hot and I like those stickers man. I also got a 5 year warranty paint coating from the dealership but we shall see how long it last eh? Shiny shiny is my car!!

People on this forum have hang ups with LED/neon lights and stickers but just don't get too fast and furious with the decals and rice stuff and you will be ok

I had the oil changed at 600 miles and then 1300 miles cause I read you should change the oil at least once or twice during the break in period. I figured that was a good idea to spend the extra money cause it cant hurt the car, but only benefit or do nothing at all. (my wallet has been complaining ever since I bought this car cause I spend more money on it than my girlfriend )

The dealership had non-synthetic in there, then at 1300 I changed to full synthetic. I can't say why they didn't have synthetic in there to begin with but the seal argument doesn't sound like a load of crap, but what do I know. Besides I had to change the oil twice so I figured regular oil wouldn't be that bad since I was driving pretty carefully (but not too carefully) for the break in. But what do I know.
YOU ARE MY MAN! LOL
Going to get the oil change done tomorrow morning Odo reached 1050 mis already, should be the TIME for synthetic drinks