Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had it happen yesterday after work. I went to the RA and tried to start it. It kept cranking and cranking, but didn't start. It felt like I had AEM EMS in it!!!
I've had the flash done already too. This is a couple time now and usually it happens after rain.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5w-20 SHould be enough for any cold weather because ts meant for it. Im in Minot north dakota and when winter hits ill know because it gets -60 here and ill be able to do some experiments to see what works
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:21 PM

I've had this happen only once. Took a few cranks to get it going.

Also not sure if this is related to cold weather or not but started car this morning and heard a grinding sound right when engine starts. Was not a very pleasant sound. It was only for like half a second
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Had it happened twice on my new 2010 Sportback... First time was 40ish degree morning. Had to turn the car off and waited for a minute; then it started. The sec time was this week. Since I went to a business trip last week, my RA sat in front of my APT almost a whole week. It was noon and degree was like 50ish. RA won't start after several tries even turned off the pow for few times... Finally it worked after kept the pow on for 3 mins...Damn, it's REALLY ANNOYING~~~

PS: Everything else was/is just working fine. Have NO clue yet... thinking about taking to the dealer if it happened more often =(
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:42 PM

Had this happen to me today before work. It was 35 degrees and I had a half tank of gas. It would start then sound like it got starved and die then wouldn't start for the next 2 tries. I had to crank it a few times and once it did turn over it was a rough idle and I had to blip the throttle to keep it running. Once it started I didn't have any issues.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like this is still an on-going issue that was not fixed with the 2010s sadly. I haven't had it happen in a few weeks now though, so at least it does not happen often. Just really embarrassing when it does. =)

-Taranis
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me twice in the past week. I haven't had it happen prior to that. I thought at first maybe the fuel had drained...so I turn the key on and let the fuel pump do its thing for a couple seconds. Then I cranked it over about 5 or 6 times and it finally fired up.

Region: E Wisconsin
Date: 12/2/2009
Time: 7:50am

Climate Conditions:
Partly Cloudy
Altitude: ~580ft
Temp: 34°F
Humidity: 82%
Air pressure: 29.78 in

Modifications:
HKS Drop-In Air Filter
IC/IC Piping

Last edited by velocityhead; Dec 3, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeds
i read on the forum somewhere that cranking up the engine while stepping on the gas paddel would help. I tried once last winter with my GTS it did work. The temperature of Vancouver Canada in winter time rarely drops below -10C
cranking with pedal HELD TO THE FLOOR is like a default flood-clear mode in our cars. dont pump it or partial throttle; full throttle, all the way to the floor and crank will clear any sort of flood conditions and start it right up.

we had this problem a lot last year at the dealership, especially when they insisted on parking the evos inside every night. they were on and driven for such short periods of time, they kept fouling out the plugs and they would eventually not start. the only fix was to pull the plugs and clean them all with injector cleaner and a rag and re-install, change the oil, and it would fire up like a champ. just out of curiosity, for those of you having this problem, are you idling the car before shut-off? may be part of the issue. i know you shouldnt have to, supposedly, because of the after-run fans if necessary, but maybe it is a factor? who knows. all i know is that once the dealership got sick of constantly paying the techs for unnecessary free spark plug r&r and synthetic oil changes, they made sure the porters let the cars run for a couple minutes every day before parking them and the problems pretty much vanished.

the only reason for the oil change, for those who may not know, is when the car is turned on repeatedly but wont start, the unused gas eventually makes its way down into the oil through the piston rings and ruins the lubrication properties of the oil.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Dec 3, 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:25 PM

I was a victim of the harsh start up. It was 26.F outside in the morning, went out to start my car and i cranked for about 3-4 seconds didnt start. Second attempt took aout 2-3 seconds than started up.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
C H
Evolving Member

Interesting, its already been to 0 F and the car starts fine so far. It is going to be -15 F this week but I'm away on business, would have like to seen if it is a problem.

I suspect im going to have to get a block heater for when it gets down to -40 even though Mitsu claims it isn't needed, seems they don't start in the 20's
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:33 PM
tre
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C H
Interesting, its already been to 0 F and the car starts fine so far. It is going to be -15 F this week but I'm away on business, would have like to seen if it is a problem.

I suspect im going to have to get a block heater for when it gets down to -40 even though Mitsu claims it isn't needed, seems they don't start in the 20's
Hey CH i haven't had a issue yet either. (knock on wood)
as well i think i'll be installed a block heater regardless of what mitsu has to say. I'll likely try one of those VW ones that stick onto the oil pan.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do u guys in the states have these kinds of engine block heaters? I'd seriously recommend one!

http://www.autokeskus.fi/cufs/redir/.../vp1a12j10.jpg

(nowadays block heaters warm the coolant and oil indirectly through the block, before heaters used to go relatively deep inside the coolant system, and warmed the engine through the coolant)

The recommendation here in the north is, that one is used at temperatures below +5'C (30 minute heating time), below 0'C an hour is required and around -20'C 2 hours.

It cuts engine emissions and fuel consumptions to a fraction of those of a cold engine, and significantly reduces wear on the engine when starting.

An additional electric heater inside the cabin helps keep windows unfrozen and increases passenger comfort of course
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:06 AM

happened to me once here in MO, been consistently 37 degrees or below when I get off work around 4am.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

MI, around 7:40am, 29 Degrees, Full tank, 5w-20, in garage-cranked the car about 3 times then finally fired up.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:24 AM

I think it may have to be fuel related issue. I was looking into installing a fuel pressure kit gauge that ultimate racing has for sale. Check the pressure after shutting down the car and leaving it for a while. Than check back at the pressure and see if the fuel pressure has dropped or holding before starting it back up. Fuel pressure should be holding at a certain psi at all times. Maybe its dropping due to cold weather or something else. I have tried the tapping the throttle and it took less time to start. I have been using 5w30 M1 myabe 0w30 M1 may help.

Quick Reply: Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues