Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

U.S. News and World Report Article

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U.S. News and World Report Article

Is it just me, or given what they say about the Ralliart, they shouldn't have mentioned it's MSRP? Either way, I find it a little funny that they are recommending a car that can get you killed as a better buy...

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...ar-money-pits/

Mitsubishi Lancer

MSRP: $14,790 - $27,590
Critics knock the Lancer for its poor acceleration and sub-par cabin materials, but it’s arguably the best looking vehicle in the class of affordable small cars. Not surprisingly, car shoppers who prioritize image over quality flock to it. An added bonus is its relatively low sticker price and lengthy warranty -- five years or 60,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage and 10-years or 100,000 miles of powertrain coverage.
Shoppers, however, shouldn’t assume that the Lancer is a great buy. With the exception of the top-of-the-line Ralliart trim level, the Lancer earns an IntelliChoice value rating of “Below Average” to “Average.” Also, its total five-year TCO ranges from $23,917 to $32,400, depending on trim.
Better Buy: Despite its less-attractive design and a recent recall regarding unintended acceleration, the Toyota Corolla is a better value. In fact, IntelliChoice gives the Corolla a value rating of “Above Average” to “Excellent,” and estimates its total five-year TCO at $21,566 to $30,426. In 2009, the Corolla was awarded IntelliChoice’s “SmartChoice” award for highest retained value.
Car shoppers, however, should take note that Toyota has halted sales on 2009-2010 Corollas until it can resolve a dangerous issue related to its acceleration pedal. Drivers unable to wait until the problem is fixed should consider the Hyundai Elantra instead. At $27,735, its base model has a higher TCO than both the Lancer and Corolla. However, it features one of the longest warranties in its class (five years/60,000 miles of basic coverage and 10 years/100,000 miles of powertrain coverage) and is a recipient of IntelliChoice’s “Smart Choice” award for lowest repair costs.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Give me a break! ****ing interior rattle etc. is overrated, my car is perfectly fine not even a one noise. New gen Lancers are way better than any other car in it's class.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

someone at toyota obviously paid this person for the review. if they actually sat in these cars, they would know the lancer is better.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Wait, we have 5 years bumper to bumper warrenty? I was told 3 years...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toredefine
Wait, we have 5 years bumper to bumper warrenty? I was told 3 years...
As I understood it, it is 5 year/50,000 mile powertrain. I think you're right: Bumper-to-bumper is only 3 year/30,000???

Nevermind... after reading it, they are describing the base Lancer. The Ralliart gets the same warranty as the EVOs, which is considerably shorter than the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain.

Last edited by Ladogaboy; Jan 31, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Ralliart has the same "warranty" as the evo... 3 years
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

And almost all cars within this price range have some rattle issues.

Not like this is anything new though; pretty much every car review you there you read is biased it some way or another.

-Taranis
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with the article...

I would never buy a lancer unless it was an evo or had evo parts.

If Mitsu had turbo charged the new Outlander and added in a twin clutch transmission they wud have a sale. But its just like the rest of the stuff out there.

Last edited by ralliartblitz; Jan 31, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:50 PM

kelley blue book and edmunds have far more fair and un-biased reviews imo

I mean this is provided by the "U.S. News" on yahoo...there are way better places to get much better info and reviews on cars. seems like the idiot who wrote this just looked at numbers in his cubicle and wrote up an article
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

i would rather have a interior which rattles a lilttle here and there than a car with a f'ed up accelerator
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:36 PM

That reminds me of an article I read on my At&t homepage about best ranked cars in the US. Toyota topped the list followed by Ford, Honda, Chevy and then there was BMW, Mercedes, and some other ones that topped the list. Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai, etc. were towards the bottom of the list for worst ranked cars. Since I had a hard time believing this, I read the fine print at the bottom and found out that the rankings were based on some company calling around 1400 people or so in this country asking them about favorite cars. I took this for what is worth. I'm just glad I don't think the way those 1400 do.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XG08Zero
kelley blue book and edmunds have far more fair and un-biased reviews imo

I mean this is provided by the "U.S. News" on yahoo...there are way better places to get much better info and reviews on cars. seems like the idiot who wrote this just looked at numbers in his cubicle and wrote up an article
Yeah, I tend to be very skeptical about most articles that I read online, but I find it interesting to see what is being said in articles that will be read by thousands of people. Unfortunately, the press drives most popular opinions, so articles like this (even if they are bogus or bias) devalue our cars in the eyes of other consumers.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Yeah, I tend to be very skeptical about most articles that I read online, but I find it interesting to see what is being said in articles that will be read by thousands of people. Unfortunately, the press drives most popular opinions, so articles like this (even if they are bogus or bias) devalue our cars in the eyes of other consumers.
exactly
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vasay1992
Give me a break! ****ing interior rattle etc. is overrated, my car is perfectly fine not even a one noise. New gen Lancers are way better than any other car in it's class.
lol i about to get ams motor mounts for my RA and hell everything rattles with those suckers installed haha
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:49 PM

People who write these reviews should actually drive the car. Before I bought my ra, I test drove a few other cars which includes the 09 corolla. Their interior is pretty flimsy, horribly underpowered, styled towards young womens. Our ra acceleration isn't that bad seeing that the car is heavy with a slight turbo lag in the begining. I can't believe that that guy compared the corolla to our car. I'll laugh in his face