Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car feels slower... almost like a FWD with rubber slippage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car feels slower... almost like a FWD with rubber slippage

Weird, really weird as hell...

Last two days my Ralliart's been feeling slower than normal, almost like a stock RA or a bit less powerful than stock... Mind you, that's with a temp at around the 60 degrees (FL) at night time... I was running some tests, going through the gear to make sure I had no TC-SST issue already, and they all seem fine, except for one reason... not one gear seems to be pulling as hard as before....

I did another test where I was in Drive + Normal at 40mph, at that time the car was in 6th gear, I pulled it to manual shifting while in Sport mode, dropped it to 5th, it climbed up to 2800rpm, dropped it to 4th and it got into the sweet spot, close to 4000rpm with lost of boost built up, at that moment I'm ready to floor it, so did I.... and to my surprise the car would try to move and I felt TWO weird clamps and felt as if the front wheels where spinning in the air and well yeah the two hard "clamp" sounds/felt like my 4th gear is dying... funny thing is I have tried to replicate it and I haven't gotten the same "clamping" issue problem again... I know 4th gear is the one we use the most and it's also the strongest gear in the car, reason why I don't doubt it's wearing out faster then the rest, imo

So I haven't felt the same slippage issue BUT I do feel the car much slower, even from the get go, now here's what I think MIGHT be the issue:

My front tires are GONE. Completely, bald like a baby's butt. And the back tires are almost new!!!!

I don't understand wtf, how come my front ones are gone both inside and out... some people have told me it's agressive cornering and I know I've driven the car spirited but not to get rid of some tires in 4-5 months, I don't even track the car except at the Drag Strip... and WTF again, isn't this an AWD car... I've had guys asked me if it was FWD and while I said "it's an AWD" they'd think I was bluffing cause they could clearly see the front tires dissapearing!

now my question to some of you guys is the following:

do you think the front tires are the reason why I feel the car slips a bit, kinda like it's not gripping at all and it's not developing that much velocity only after at higher speeds... I tried launching the car and I was like "WTF!" again, it was way slower than last week... I have no issues or warnings coming up on my info-screen at all, so I'm still wondering if it's all related to the tires... again, back ones are half way through and fronts are Gooooone, gone gone!

thanks for the input guys

Last edited by jazket; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be rotating your tires.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You should be rotating your tires.
I know... I NEVER ever rotated my tires while they were being used... I'm readying 4 new ones, cheaper ones of course (money is tight rite now) and I now have the Mitsu Navi with the whole maintenance feature that WILL (thankfully) remind me of rotating & balancing the tires more often
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

You need 2 brand new tires now. You need to rotate the tires every oil change or every 10k miles at most.

AWD cars burn tires faster than any other layout. Think about it it burns the tires out faster in the front because all the weight is there. And burns out the rears because they are powered as well...The rears aren't going to go as fast as say a MR layout car.

That reminds me I need to rotate my tires this oil chang[/QUOTE]e...I rotate every 10k miles.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Also, if the rears are 50% tread left you might just have to replace all 4 tires. You want to keep all 4 tires at equal tread wear. Aren't you lowered as well? If your on RRM springs your probably going to have to do another alignment if the front inner tires are worn out from camber.

Its the problem with lowering the car too much.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have ASC off?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Nah Bom, I still have stock height.

And I turn off ASC only when I'm going to drive a bit aggressive, which is like what, once a month if anything? (I've been babying the car for the past few months since I don't want the damn SST to crap out just yet!)

Yeah I'm getting a set of 4 also, I want to make sure all wheels have the exact same tread wear so I can work out the rotation periods with more responsibility this time around

It just sucks that those Direzzas are 200 bucks each and the rear ones are still very usable
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

your brakes could be sticking? but that would be very very odd and noticeable... and since you don't have an error message, they probably arent. If you never rotated your tires then I would bet that's what it is. Stock tires wear really quickly, you have to rotate them.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would actually rotate your tires every 5000 miles and oil change every 3000-5000, preferrably 3000 if you have the money to always do that.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm on top of the Oil Change, I make sure I flush it every 3,000 miles, which means I have to already cause that's another reason why I feel the car's not performing as good as about a week ago like I mentioned :-/

As soon as I deal with the tires which is my main concern I'll try replicating the problem and knock on wood it is NOT my tranny!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:31 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The front + rear wheels need to be very similar in diameter, otherwise it'll wear out the ACD prematurely. Another reason to rotate tires.

Also, our cars are something like 60-40 f-r weight distribution, so even if it's awd all the time, braking, steering, and just pure weight will wear the front down much faster.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

If your tires are a diff. size, then your ABS will be kicking in all the time. The reason the car is slower is because the brakes are always on in the front, because those tires are spinning faster. You may need to get all 4 tires replaced if you have too much tread worn in the back.