Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Motor Trend - Spring Chickens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Problem is, the media won't get satisfied until Mitsu gives the RA an proper manual, sticker/wider tires and above 260hp!

But you and I know the Ralliart feels more mature, it's rarer on the streets and it always turns heads even if you're looking at it belly up lol
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deathsythe
People "ooo and ahhhh" all day at the mean look of my angry Ralliart. I thought about the subaru for a long while as well as the MS3 and I just couldn't feel "cool" getting in to either of those. Power isn't everything. That's just my long-winded opinion. hahaha.
Yeah I was looking into a subie and a MS3 but felt the same thing. As long as I get sucked into the seats then I'm happy. I'm not trying to race anyone. And I could still stare at my car all day and not frown by the looks of it... Subaru needs to get something going... New american cars on the streets look better those piece of ****
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by toredefine
A simple re-flash gives the RA an extra 40-50 awhp/tq. I'd like to see a WRX tuned with those kind of gains. Stick some stickier, wider tires/wheels, and the RA could stomp a comparable WRX. Sure, off the line we would fall behind, but the RA can make it up when the driver has to shift his WRX.

Our differentials and all wheel drive system is much more superior to the WRX. And our motor is

I am definately not regretting my RA, especially comparing it to the Cobalt SS , and the WRX. I kinda like articles like this. It keeps some people from buying the Ralliart, making it seem more rare and not "washed out"
? WRXs can gain that easily, actually do some research before you go stating an opinion based on nothing.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=2009
A tuned WRX making +38 WHP and +52 WTQ over stock.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=2009
"Stock" 09 WRX running a 13.1 1/4 mile.
300 WTQ on a WRX is but a TBE and a tune away. The transmission can also take the power which is a big plus .
You are aware that what you're suggesting has been done before correct? Motortrend put stickier tires on the Ralliart (stickier than the tires that come on the WRX infact) and the handling numbers (slalom, skid pad) were even, the Ralliart did not stomp even a stock WRX let alone an equally modified one. Unless you're racing an idiot, shifting isn't difficult and the extra displacement and broad powerband of the WRX makes it easy.
Essentially, it boils down to personal preference.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I keep seeing articles like this and find it all crap.

0-60 to me are so subjective and inconsistent that they are rendered worthless. Not only that but what good is it to go 0-60 in 4 seconds if you're destroying the car. I don't think that counts. If I just floor my Ralliart 0-60, no launch, I could do that all day with minimal issues. Do a clutch drop launch 0-60 40 times in a day and see what happens...

Not only that but, as much as I liked my impreza; the truck lid was paper mache, the wheel bearings all failed 2wice, the tranny died, the lsd died, the headgaskets crapped out the paint was thinner than paper and I didn't even really drive that hard.

Overall, who cares when you're driving on the street. I don't care if the impreza did 0-60 in 1 second flat, it still looks wussy compared to 07 and before and there is no "experience" when driving it. People "ooo and ahhhh" all day at the mean look of my angry Ralliart. They love the sound system, the navi and the HID's. I thought about the subaru for a long while as well as the MS3 and I just couldn't feel "cool" getting in to either of those. Power isn't everything. That's just my long-winded opinion. hahaha.
Look at the 20-40, 40-60, etc. time then, the WRX, MS3 and Cobalt SS simply destroy the stock Ralliart. It's not hard to see why, the Ralliart weighs the most out of the four cars mentioned here but it doesn't have close to the most power. It also has a tiny turbo stock which runs out of steam.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Oh boy, here we go again... not another WRX vs. RA thread LOL
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

This thread= Dead Horse + Stick = Fail
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RADriver
This thread= Dead Horse + Stick = Fail
Bingo, same crap, different review. Seems like every time a review comes up that doesn't arbitrarily state the Ralliart is the winner leads to controversy. Are we really shocked that in what is essentially a repeat of past reviews, we get the same result?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

AWD > FWD
That's all I can say.
The only camparable car to the Ralliart is the WRX. If you like plain looking cars, go with the Subie. If you like the sportier/meaner looking car go with the Mitsu.

PS - I went with Mitsu due to the 0.9% finance rate
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

And if you want the faster car, better performing car, go for the WRX . It's a matter of deciding whether you want show or go.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 05:01 PM
Account Disabled

this confuses me, and it must be a driver to driver thing, but last season at race city i raced 2 08+ sti's both with stage 2 tuning, and beat both of them, in MPH Trap and 60"

At the time i only had an intake, tune and catback.

On the otherhand, in stock form, having driven all 4 (evo,ra,265 wrx,sti) the 265 was faster then the ralliart, all be it 2500$ more.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I suspect it was driver given that a stock STI has more power and likely a bit less weight than a Ralliart. A stage 2 STI would have way more power than even a tuned Ralliart.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 02:51 PM

Look at the 20-40, 40-60, etc. time then, the WRX, MS3 and Cobalt SS simply destroy the stock Ralliart. It's not hard to see why, the Ralliart weighs the most out of the four cars mentioned here but it doesn't have close to the most power. It also has a tiny turbo stock which runs out of steam.

Ehhh, again, I don't care if they go 180mph or 40-20 in .1 seconds. The Ralliart is the overall best package. I did tons of research before making my decision and i had been in all 4 cars. I could get the subaru, have corny sound system, normal tranny, thin sheet metal, crappy warranties, crappy paint job looks like a Saturn and really high insurance. Or have the MS3 which looks like a womans car (no offense), is only FWD has a lame, navigation system, and ok warranties. Or I could get the Cobalt SS which has dated styling, slim options and tech, FWD and shaky quality, no seat room, and would be worth $5 the min. you drove it off the lot. The choice was clear.

I actually had the money to buy an EVO, BMW 135i, Saab 93X and STI but what's the point? To pay sky high for a car that I would mod, never race anybody and pay high insurance for? Why do that when I could have 85% of the fun and looks and few of the drawbacks. Some car will always be faster and will always have compromises. Lets see the MS3 and Cobalt go that fast in the snow and rain. And lets see the Subie not have rod knock, O2 sensor and ticking problems in 2 yeas like the 200 other subies in the subie club I was part of. hahaha. Speed isn't everything and neither are looks, it's the complete package that really matters.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ehhh, again, I don't care if they go 180mph or 40-20 in .1 seconds. The Ralliart is the overall best package. I did tons of research before making my decision and i had been in all 4 cars. I could get the subaru, have corny sound system, normal tranny, thin sheet metal, crappy warranties, crappy paint job looks like a Saturn and really high insurance. Or have the MS3 which looks like a womans car (no offense), is only FWD has a lame, navigation system, and ok warranties. Or I could get the Cobalt SS which has dated styling, slim options and tech, FWD and shaky quality, no seat room, and would be worth $5 the min. you drove it off the lot. The choice was clear.

I actually had the money to buy an EVO, BMW 135i, Saab 93X and STI but what's the point? To pay sky high for a car that I would mod, never race anybody and pay high insurance for? Why do that when I could have 85% of the fun and looks and few of the drawbacks. Some car will always be faster and will always have compromises. Lets see the MS3 and Cobalt go that fast in the snow and rain. And lets see the Subie not have rod knock, O2 sensor and ticking problems in 2 yeas like the 200 other subies in the subie club I was part of. hahaha. Speed isn't everything and neither are looks, it's the complete package that really matters.
The Ralliart is only the best overall package in your opinion, I certainly disagree. Much of the faults you attribute to the Subaru apply to the Mitsubishi as well. Mitsubishi is known for bad paint, crappy warranties (hell, look at the threads regarding that very topic in the Ralliart section of this forum) and on par insurance.
The Subaru engine is perfectly fine, while it is true that they had an issue with some 08 and 09 vehicles, this was limited to cars produced in a specific time period and is no longer relevant. I know of no lightly modded Subarus with any of the apparent engine issues you describe. Hell, let's see a Ralliart make over 300 WTQ for a sustained period of time without having transmission issues, the argument can go both ways.
As I've said time and time again, it boils down to personal preference. Attempting to rationalize your decision by slinging mud at the other team just seems silly.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
AWD > FWD
That's all I can say.
The only camparable car to the Ralliart is the WRX. If you like plain looking cars, go with the Subie. If you like the sportier/meaner looking car go with the Mitsu.

PS - I went with Mitsu due to the 0.9% finance rate
fwd are making progress... look at the ford rs

if you want a design that was stolen from volvo/audi go with mitsu?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wow.. sounds familiar with a certain company i know..