Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Motor Trend - Spring Chickens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Motor Trend - Spring Chickens

Didn't see this up, hope I didn't miss it -

New comparo for April 2010,
Lancer RA SB vs. WRX vs. 2010 MS3 vs. 2010 GTI

Another last place finish for the RA, unfortunately, and a 0-60 4.5sec run for the WRX! I think it just stole my heart for a DD!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, RA quite the slug. And no Manual.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

RA didn't do too bad I thought - acceleration wise 0-60 5.5 is pretty good! No doubt motor trend used a pretty abusive technique though, they usually get pretty good 0-60 shots
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

It's all because of the transmission. I had a WRX next to me, and she launched way ahead of me. I didn't even bother trying to catch up.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

yea the car way to slow off of the line no boost till 3000rpm sucks maybe we should change the sport mode idle speed to higher.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:46 PM
Account Disabled

i can launch with 12-15 lbs of boost at around 3400 rpm without issue.

launches hard too
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

yea i think the car launches hard enough - not as hard as a manual car obv but still quick and sounds about right for its power and heft
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

link? or is it on the mag?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Not on the site yet but doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know (in "A time for Turbos" in R&T, the RA placed last behind the WRX, MS3 and Cobalt, with the SS winning the comparo).

Interesting that the WRX hit 4.5...R&T managed only a 5.1 and that was with a redline clutch dump launch, wonder what MT did???!

At 4.5 to 60, that's faster (I think?) than the STI, faster than the BMW 135i and 335i and depending on the magazine, faster to 60 than the e92 M3. That's a serious car.

Good thing I didn't buy the RA for sheer speed, lack of rattles or long-term reliabilty lol
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by secondchace
i can launch with 12-15 lbs of boost at around 3400 rpm without issue.

launches hard too

Can the tranny take this? I was kind of under the impression you were playing with fire with that kind of launch/drivetrain, but I haven't been keeping up with any of the vehicles equipped with it too well.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Can the tranny take this? I was kind of under the impression you were playing with fire with that kind of launch/drivetrain, but I haven't been keeping up with any of the vehicles equipped with it too well.
hum, you are playing with fire with that kind of launch
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

A simple re-flash gives the RA an extra 40-50 awhp/tq. I'd like to see a WRX tuned with those kind of gains. Stick some stickier, wider tires/wheels, and the RA could stomp a comparable WRX. Sure, off the line we would fall behind, but the RA can make it up when the driver has to shift his WRX.

Our differentials and all wheel drive system is much more superior to the WRX. And our motor is

I am definately not regretting my RA, especially comparing it to the Cobalt SS , and the WRX. I kinda like articles like this. It keeps some people from buying the Ralliart, making it seem more rare and not "washed out"
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toredefine
Our differentials and all wheel drive system is much more superior to the WRX. And our motor is

I am definately not regretting my RA, especially comparing it to the Cobalt SS , and the WRX. I kinda like articles like this. It keeps some people from buying the Ralliart, making it seem more rare and not "washed out"
Is it really that much more superior to the WRX?? Or are you just saying that to make ourselves feel better?? lol

I definitely dont regret on purchasing a RA and I'm with you about getting reviews like this. I like to be in cars that are not washed out as well
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

Better pads, stickier tires and a tune change this car. Drove a tuned/boost pill sportback RA demo my dealer has and...I need the tune.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I keep seeing articles like this and find it all crap.

0-60 to me are so subjective and inconsistent that they are rendered worthless. Not only that but what good is it to go 0-60 in 4 seconds if you're destroying the car. I don't think that counts. If I just floor my Ralliart 0-60, no launch, I could do that all day with minimal issues. Do a clutch drop launch 0-60 40 times in a day and see what happens...

Not only that but, as much as I liked my impreza; the truck lid was paper mache, the wheel bearings all failed 2wice, the tranny died, the lsd died, the headgaskets crapped out the paint was thinner than paper and I didn't even really drive that hard.

Overall, who cares when you're driving on the street. I don't care if the impreza did 0-60 in 1 second flat, it still looks wussy compared to 07 and before and there is no "experience" when driving it. People "ooo and ahhhh" all day at the mean look of my angry Ralliart. They love the sound system, the navi and the HID's. I thought about the subaru for a long while as well as the MS3 and I just couldn't feel "cool" getting in to either of those. Power isn't everything. That's just my long-winded opinion. hahaha.