Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

octane boost? Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know if i should move this to canadian section lol
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I am running on Husky 94 octane gas since buying my Cobb AP. I did purchase some Octane boost for occasions when I may still want to run the Stage 1 93 but do not have 93 octane available. (Road Trip).

Also I have "brain farted" before at a full serve and stated "fill er up" and I walked into the store part of the service station only to realise that I did not say what grade of gas I wanted. So now I have octane boost to assist my
cerebral flatulance.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by majinfajita
Oh, and you BC guys get better gas than us.

Here in AB:

87 = regular
89 = plus
91 = premium

94 at Husky/Mohawk (which is 10% ethanol) is at 5c or so more per liter than premium...it's been a while since i used 94 on any of my cars (mainly because I hate mohawk and husky and at my altitude, 91 is basically same-same)
Give it a try, some local tuners have noticed it has better knock resistance than Shell, Petro, etc. Even their base 90 octane gas if pretty good.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

E85 = 85% Ethanol = very good
Husky/Mohawk = 10% Ethanol (up to) = not too shabby
Shell = 0% Ethanol = yuck (but they do make great gas)

I wouldn't knock their gas, I've ran it for almost a year without an issue whatsoever. I wont use anything but.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I've been running Husky 94 exclusively for more than a year. I haven't compared it to Shell very accurately though, I could give it a shot for a few weeks and see how the car likes it.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

I prefer Shell mainly for the fact that it is supposed to be the lowest-sulphur gas available...now that would probably be true if it weren't for the fact that all of Calgary's gas comes from like 2 refineries and additive packages are just thrown in later by each company lol

I detest running ethanol "enriched" gas; that 10% ethanol has less caloric energy than dino-squeezings and I don't support using foodstock for fuel.

That being said, I used to run the 94 in my A4 after I got it chipped hahahahaha
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

+1 Toluene to effectively raise the octane.
Those little bottles can't even raise it 1 point in octane.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-1 Toluene can effectively raise the octane rating HOWEVER can signifigantly hurt / damage fuel lines and fuel pumps because its a non-naturally lubercated liquid and wears down parts.

Torco's Mach Series Accelerator can raise your octaine if you really want. And it comes in 5 gallon pales and if ur advantageous enough u can get anything from 94 to 114 octaine... (114 not reccomended)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by badreligi0n
-1 Toluene can effectively raise the octane rating HOWEVER can signifigantly hurt / damage fuel lines and fuel pumps because its a non-naturally lubercated liquid and wears down parts.

Torco's Mach Series Accelerator can raise your octaine if you really want. And it comes in 5 gallon pales and if ur advantageous enough u can get anything from 94 to 114 octaine... (114 not reccomended)
Toluene is a major ingredient in pump gasoline. As an aromatic hydrocarbon, it is no more damaging to internal combustion components than the balance of aromatic hydrocarbons found in gasoline.

As a pure hydrocarbon, it will not foul plugs or damage O2 sensors, as some other Octane Boosters have been shown(like MTBE).
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

Octane boosters can be broken into three types based on their active ingredients. Methyl cyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) and ferosene are used in limited amounts in off-the-shelf boosters. The majority of commercial boosters use MMT. Another type of booster uses alcohols or aromatics as the active ingredient. Many tuners use toluene as a home-style octane booster. Toluene, an aromatic circular hydrocarbon chain, is a regular component of pump gas and is available in various grades at chemical supply stores. Premium street gasoline carries roughly 3- to 5% toluene, which partially helps octane characteristics. Unocal's 100-octane race gas has almost 25% toluene.

Toluene-laden fuels burn slower and make less power on high-revving engines. So much in fact that much of the air/fuel mixture is still burning as the charge exits through the exhaust valve. This is a sure way to destroy your emissions-control equipment and not pass smog. For these reasons, true race fuels don't just use toluene or other active ingredients to boost the octane. Instead they use better-refined hydrocarbon chains that raise octane while retaining optimal combustion characteristics.

To read more, http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...ted/index.html

Last edited by badreligi0n; Mar 11, 2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Link
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Toluene is a major ingredient of "standard gasoline," so I am a bit confused when you compare gasoline to toluene. The EPA's Fuel detergent as well as other requirements(lubrication/volatility...) are not exceeded with the amount of toluene one would need to add for increasing 91 to 93 octane. I would not recommend anyone putting 100% toluene in a vehicle, as it would be pointless.

Also, your information seems to be a tad dated. Are you referencing D439 or D4814//D5769? D439 was superceded by D4814 in 1991(?) not sure about that exact year, may be 1990.

ASTM Standards for "Finished Fuel" D4814 and D5769-04 allows for 1-13% toluene and 10-42% total aromatics.

In a typical Aromatics Quantification Report, Total Aromatics are 20-40% by vol. with toluene comprising 5-13% of that vol.http://www.chem.agilent.com/Library/.../5966-2798.pdf

With the above scientific reference in mind, raising the octane rating from 91 to 93 keeps you within current ASTM standards D4814 and D5769 for total aromatics, and within or very close to within range for total allowable toluene.

Meaning that, as long as total aromatics are kept below 40% there will not be the issue with North American vehicles regarding toluene-laden race fuels of which you refer:
Toluene-laden fuels burn slower and make less power on high-revving engines. So much in fact that much of the air/fuel mixture is still burning as the charge exits through the exhaust valve. This is a sure way to destroy your emissions-control equipment and not pass smog. For these reasons, true race fuels don't just use toluene or other active ingredients to boost the octane.

Prior to 1990, to be considered "toluene-laden," a fuel might only have 5% toluene vol. Per ASTM D439 this had the potential to destroy rubber fuel lines, as well as silver composites in fuel regulators of some 1990-earlier vehicles and many of the 1975-earlier vehicles. Also, due to limitations in ECU technology, these earlier vehicles may not have had the ability to advance timing enough to counter a late burning charge which might damage sensors, and catalytic converters.

Current "toluene-laden" fuels are typically seen in the F1 circuit with volumetric ranges between 80-100% toluene depending upon series/year.

Dig through here for more ASTM stuff-http://openpdf.com/ebook/astm-d-5580-pdf.html

Last edited by Alterna; Mar 11, 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: wording
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

91 octane will be ok...but those boosters are a waste of money they dont work to any notciable degree...try to find 93 + though to be on the safer size
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

anyone run sunoco ultra 94, has 10% ethanol, how good is sunoco gas?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kahrs
Ok so I live in Canada and cannot get 94 octane...the best we have from what I can find is 91....Ive been debating the idea of putting NOS racing octane boost to make up the difference? anyone know something about this should I run my RA 09 with it or what? any other tips would help thanks!
Octane boost shouldn't hurt your car. I have been using it in my x gsr for 2 years, almost every tank. I am tuned on 94 Husky. I find when I don't use it my car feels a little sluggish. Maybe pulling timing due to poor quality fuel?? I was using nos racing formula for quite a while. I tried the stp octane booster (made with jet fuel) recently. It seems my car really likes this stuff despite the reviews saying it only ups your octane by 5 points(1/2 octane #) compared to nos racing formula which raised octane # a whole 1.3 octane #'s more; according to a review I read on this subject. As for long term effects on the engine, I can't say. All I know is that my car runs better with it.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Roberti22
91 octane will be ok...but those boosters are a waste of money they dont work to any notciable degree...try to find 93 + though to be on the safer size
+1

If you really want a boost in Octane, fill part of the tank with C10.

Quick Reply: octane boost? Yes/no?