Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dash gaps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash gaps

This past weekend my new clarion nx500 touchscreen started going haywire. None of the touchscreen buttons worked, and it would costantly act like someone was pressing whatever was in the lower right corner I realized something must be pressing on the lower right hand side of the screen, confusing it. Perhaps the warmer weather made something shrink. When I pulled on the dash kit the problem stopped. When I made hard right turns, the problem returned (the intertia moving the dash left probably pressed on the screen).

I took the dash off last night because it became so infuriating. I found two small useless knobs on the outside of the dash kit where the window for the radio unit shows through. On the exact same spot on the radio unit, there was some discoloring. I sawed these f***ers off and sanded them down. No problems since!

But now my dash doesn't sit exactly flush. I have these two small gaps on my left trim and on the left side of my dash kit. I can't figure out if I was just bad at putting it back together, or perhaps something broke. I'm dreading having to take the damn thing apart again to fix it - such a PITA.

I've attached two pictures. One is of the gap on the dash kit and the other the trim. Any idea why this happened?

Also, what are the white/black clips on the back of the dash pieces for? I've attached a pic highlighting these things. Why do I need to remove the glove box too? I did it , but didn't see any reason why it made taking apart the dash easier.

Attached Thumbnails Dash gaps-dash-trim.jpg   Dash gaps-dash-kit.jpg   Dash gaps-clips.jpg  
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off you need to remove the glove box because the trim thats not sitting properly has a screw thats screwed in where the glove box is (to the left) so to properly remove everything pop out the glove box (literally takes 2 seconds...)'

those clips you circled are what snap into your dash to make the dash kit sit properly....odds are your stuff isnt lining up properly because one or more of those clips arent snapping in thus causing your dash kit to not be flush and thus causing your trim to pop out.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
first off you need to remove the glove box because the trim thats not sitting properly has a screw thats screwed in where the glove box is (to the left) so to properly remove everything pop out the glove box (literally takes 2 seconds...)'

those clips you circled are what snap into your dash to make the dash kit sit properly....odds are your stuff isnt lining up properly because one or more of those clips arent snapping in thus causing your dash kit to not be flush and thus causing your trim to pop out.
^ Well said.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

This might help you out also in taking the dash apart and how everything is supposed to go together: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-10-a.html
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you dont actually have to completely remove the glovebox, just open it up. look at the thread i started on the how-to...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...te-system.html

also, those clip locations you have circled should all have the white clip inserts on all four of those locations. they probably came away from the panel when you removed it and if you didnt put them back on the trim piece before re-installing, they may have gotten pushed into the dash and fallen down, causing the piece to sit too loosely. same goes for the white clips that should be on all of the tabs on the back of the faux cf trim piece
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

he's not lying or doing it wrong; although he may be missing a few white clips. i'm actually a master cert. installer on here in disguise and this is the first and possibly last time you'll ever see me say that. i'm not even from vancouver

i had to modify my dash kit which was close, but not the ticket. theres one made by metra and the other scosche... scosche being much more acurately-made than metra. if you don't modify how the clips sit on the kit it will stick out a slight bit like you're pointing out. it happens all the time to dash kits though at work, as in they're not a perfect fit. below is the kit made by metra which i would not recommend at this point in time:

It's because of me that metra is actually revising their master mold for this kit and doing it right. Since then I've actually switched to the one made by scosche which is actually almost a perfect fit. A little rage gold and trimming in places along with a repaint made it much better. i dont have a picture of the scosche kit as i didn't need to prove to them they made it wrong, cuz they didn't. here's a car i got to work on the other day, for your lancer lover enjoyment

Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ouch on the honda. and yea, unfortunately, only going by the pics he posted, he is missing tabs that normally complete the securing process of the dash. without other fitment pics of the pieces, its a bit hard to note and so judgement was made regarding what i was given. plus, for that "cf" trim piece to sit like that, it seems more likely a clip issue than a dash-kit issue. if the metra kit was protruding like the second picture shows, then the dash trim panel beneath it would usually only protrude outward as well, but for it to appear to have shifted left, it seems like the securing clips were not in-tact causing room for lateral movement.

i actually have heard any number of times that the metra kit was crap as well, from people who come into the dealership all the time, anytime i notice an aftermarket h/u i always would look at the kit and find out which one it is and how they like it, making sure which choice i would end up making in the end. so i can see where a little trimming can go a long way in a case like this to relieve pressure on the corner of a touch sensitive unit

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Apr 10, 2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

bought a cheap generic dash kit, and it had so many gaps, just like in your pictures, then i bucked up and bought the scosche, and it was flush and fitted great, BUT!!! I also have the clarion touchscreen, higher model than yours, and when the screen flipped down so u can put a CD in the cutout for the screen was too tight, and it would jam, so some trimming and cutting and sanding, now it works GREAT!

heres a pic, not much a of a closeup
Attached Thumbnails Dash gaps-img_0116.jpg  

Last edited by Euripides; Apr 10, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
you dont actually have to completely remove the glovebox, just open it up. look at the thread i started on the how-to...

also, those clip locations you have circled should all have the white clip inserts on all four of those locations. they probably came away from the panel when you removed it and if you didnt put them back on the trim piece before re-installing, they may have gotten pushed into the dash and fallen down, causing the piece to sit too loosely. same goes for the white clips that should be on all of the tabs on the back of the faux cf trim piece

you realize that removing the glove box takes 2 more seconds right and just makes installs easier when you have stuff everywhere.

also your right about those clips they will pop off or get stuck in the hole they mount to and if your not careful removing them from the hole they will pop right out of your fingers and fall to the abyss behind your dash and never be seen again
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Euripides
bought a cheap generic dash kit, and it had so many gaps, just like in your pictures, then i bucked up and bought the scosche, and it was flush and fitted great, BUT!!! I also have the clarion touchscreen, higher model than yours, and when the screen flipped down so u can put a CD in the cutout for the screen was too tight, and it would jam, so some trimming and cutting and sanding, now it works GREAT!

heres a pic, not much a of a closeup
had to do the same on my brothers car, his headunit flips down so i had to dremel and sand a good portion of the top of the dash kit, came out looking great though.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:14 PM

I should probably clarify.

I'm using a scosche kit, and the first two pictures are my car's gaps. The third picture of the clips is a picture taken from a "just installed my avic series..." thread on here. I was lazy and it seemed like a good pic lol

In any case, I took the dash apart again and realized I was indeed missing a few key clips from the side where the gap was. The dash kit (again, scosche) was not flush which was causing the CF piece to also not be flush.

After all was said and done the CF piece is 100% flush. I used clips from my old radio piece and although there are a few mm gap on the dash kit still, it's so unnoticeable - unlike the giant gaps in the beginning.

Also, are all of the white clips the same?? I used them interchangeably...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

^yep they're all the same. even toyota uses ones almost exactly like mitsu, cept they're yellow and pink. i have a kenwood dnx-9140 and it's gangster with the inverted tilt which makes it level since the kit is slightly pointed at the ceiling. all ddins will fit differently so trim and such as necessary. the two main brands in the industry are scosche and metra, scosche being the one that builds specific kits to a much higher standard. <3 the scoschey scosche. metra's dealer line tends to have douchebags too whenever i need to order something for a customer.