Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trade-in: US car in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade-in: US car in Canada

Hi all-

Been lurking for awhile, reading a lot about the Ralliart. Hopefully i'll have one in the near future. But to do so, i'll need to trade-in or sell my current one.

My current car is a 05 Mazda 3. It was purchased in the US while i was living there. I've since moved to Canada. In talking to my local Mitsubishi dealer, i was told that they can't offer much for a US car in Canada.

My question to you is this: Is this guy making a valid statement, or is it just some crap so as to get some leverage in the deal?

If what he says is true, then i may have to sell mine privately or sell it to a dealer back in the US.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Fizz
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
Account Disabled

they may have their reasons behind what they say. alot of people dont want the miles on the gauge like they are, among other things.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by secondchace
they may have their reasons behind what they say. alot of people dont want the miles on the gauge like they are, among other things.
Yeah, i can believe some difference, but he made it sound like a huge thing. I know packages and the like differ, but still, fundamentally it's the same car. I may have to shop around on both sides of the border.

-Fizz
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:57 AM

You are probably better off doing a private sale. Should check what the going rate is for similar cars and see what the dealership is offering in terms of trade in value. If it's well below then you should just sell it privately. In terms of difference the only difference really is the mph instead of kms, but to someone looking for a good deal they won't care either way.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No warranty thats why.

once registered here in Canada, most manufacturers are not obligated to warranty the vehicle. what makes it more stupid, is you sometimes lose the original USA warranty too.

your best bet is to sell it to a dealer in the USA.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
No warranty thats why.

once registered here in Canada, most manufacturers are not obligated to warranty the vehicle. what makes it more stupid, is you sometimes lose the original USA warranty too.

your best bet is to sell it to a dealer in the USA.
Hmm... you're probably right in that's their reasoning. I discovered i could not buy a US Ralliart and bring it to Canada and keep the warranty. (Which is really too bad, because since the dollar is at parity right now it's so much cheaper in the US.)

However, i checked with Mazda and they said the warranty of a US car in Canada will be honored fully provided they have a valid full service history.

Regardless, i'm past the 50k miles / 4 years, so it's out of warranty anyways. So what are they worried about?

-Fizz
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shop around, someone will take the car, just have the records, and it seems your good to go
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure there are numerous reasons why Canadians don't want to get involved in US cars, a couple may be:

- The whole MPH guages

- Back when the whole New Orleans disaster was happening, there were wrote off cars from there being sold here in Canada. This created a bad stigma with American vehicles.

I personally would never buy an American vehicle unless it was brand new, which you can no longer do.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Safety standards mph vs km/h other such features and of course the stench of canadians don't exist :O jp
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:19 PM
C H
Evolving Member

US cars are cheaper to buy, so they are worth less when you sell them as well.

Did they give you a price?

Sounds like you should just sell privately in the US. If you can't sell it before you leave the US, sell it privately in Canada for a $1000-2000 less then the average Canadian car. That should be more than enough for someone to over look the MPH speedo.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

When I got my AWC reflash done at the dealer I was bored so I was looking thru the lot and saw these 2 endeavours side by side, both 07 with similar mileage and package but one was $8k less. I was like WTF. So I asked the salesman and he said the cheaper one was an American model so that was why it was so much cheaper.