Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Manual transmisson

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gccruz
http://www.getrag.de/en/234

I think it's more like tuning/ programing and some clutch disks.
"some programming" is putting it lightly.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by erics01
For me the biggest difference between the SST and a manual is the ability to control the clutch.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wasurumo
embrace the computer controlled manual
if you want a manual buy one...
The problem is not that this transmission is a computer controlled manual. New Ferraris come with a computer controlled manual. There is nothing wrong with this technology. We just got shafted. It is an experiment by Mitsubishi to see if this kind of thing is a good idea. We got screwed with this $10,000 hunk of metal. The same was true of the original VR4 transmission. When something went wrong, they used to remove the entire transmission, heat it, and fuse it all together with a super-cooled rod. I'm not joking. Anyone notice that none of the technicians seem to be able to service these transmissions? If this was a long-term move, they would be in school getting certified.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
The problem is not that this transmission is a computer controlled manual. New Ferraris come with a computer controlled manual. There is nothing wrong with this technology. We just got shafted. It is an experiment by Mitsubishi to see if this kind of thing is a good idea. We got screwed with this $10,000 hunk of metal. The same was true of the original VR4 transmission. When something went wrong, they used to remove the entire transmission, heat it, and fuse it all together with a super-cooled rod. I'm not joking. Anyone notice that none of the technicians seem to be able to service these transmissions? If this was a long-term move, they would be in school getting certified.
Makes it seem a good idea to sell this car after the 5 year power train warranty ends (if the depreciation wasn't such a killer!)

I thought that the TC-SST was one of the better twin clutches transmissions because of the sport & s-sport modes. Why do you say we got shafted? How are the Ferrari and other ones better?

Last edited by ralliartblitz; May 29, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
I thought that the TC-SST was one of the better twin clutches transmissions because of the sport & s-sport modes. Why do you say we got shafted? How are the Ferrari and other ones better?
1). Most computer controlled manuals have multiple modes. We have no advantage in that department.

2). We got shafted, because the durability of this transmission does not meet my standard of approval. I don't feel confident in the gearbox. It won't even shift into reverse, half of the time. I have learned my lesson. This is the last time I am going to be the Guinea Pig for a new Mitsubishi idea. When I pay it off, I am going to get rid of this car. My greatest fear is that I am going to get a reflash, slip the clutches, and then go in to have the thing replaced and get told that because my computer was altered I cannot have the transmission replaced under warranty. If you don't think that that is a possibility or didn't think about that when you got your car tuned, you have now been fair warned. The Tech at the dealer in town told me very matter-of-factly that he races cars on the weekends. He said that he sympathizes with those of us with the TC-SST. However, he did say that in order to keep his job, he is required by Mitsubishi to check EVERYTHING before sending in a TC-SST for claim work. He said that he re-flashes his own cars and knows exactly what to look for. That really is all that I needed to hear. This little project is done and done. I will be selling the EVO X inter-cooler that i bought a while back. It isn't worth it to work on this car. Hats off to all you brave souls out there who have taken the dive, but I just don't have the money to mess around with this. I will continue to post valuable information in my sticky thread as I find cool stuff to read out there, but I won't be modifying this car. Time to start looking for an older Bimmer. =>

3). I am not answering the question of why the Ferrari transmissions are better. For $200,000+, they better be awesome.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; May 29, 2010 at 02:10 PM.