Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Manual transmisson

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
When you get around to asking them that question, can you please ask them why they didn't just give us the same TC-SST transmission that is in the MR?

Edit: My point was that hoping for the transmission out of the GSR as a manual option in the future doesn't seem likely. It was more of a no-brainer to merely just build one TC-SST transmission and put it in the both the MR and the RA. That didn't happen, and it looks like the reason was gas mileage. Well, given Mitsubishi's track record with manual transmissions and their quest for better fuel economy, I was presenting the, albeit only merely possible, option of them hacking up the GSR's transmission or that of the regular GTS Lancer, and separating the last gear into two to help out the mileage. I then went on to present a case in which the very same company has ALREADY done the exact same thing.
I agree that a manual transmission isn't likely at all but I suspect if it did come with one, they'd use the transmission out of the Evo to reduce cost (no need to R&D and have a separate transmission for all three Lancer models).
Old May 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
they'd use the transmission out of the Evo to reduce cost
You see, that is what I don't understand about the TC-SST debacle. Why not just make one? It is already arguably the most expensive part that Mitsubishi makes, or I should say contracts out to have made. Why make it more expensive by making two separate models? Wouldn't 10,000 units of one be cheaper than 5,000 and 5,000 of two?

It really makes you wonder what we didn't get with the TC-SST in our Ralliarts. If it was worth the price difference for Mitsubishi to go to the trouble of releasing two instead of one, what unholy-expensive part didn't we get? And on another note, I would prefer the option of having the TC-SST from the MR instead of the 5-speed from the GSR. This is a daily driver after all, and I hate sitting in traffic shifting all day long.
Old May 3, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick thing, a few people said the wrx only came in manual, they also have the automatic 4eat option for the wrx. which is suprisingly stronger than the wrx 5mt. but since no one seems to understand that manual isnt the super epic 1337 best at everything, most people think its ****ty because its not a stick lmao.
Old May 3, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
The SST was Mitsubishi's biggest mistake for the Ralliart/Evo.
Disagree
Old May 3, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
how about never. idk why people keep thinking mitsu will put a standard in there.

and to whoever said putting the SST in the evo and RA are highly uneducated. the MR sells very well, just look in the evo X section theres MANY MR owners. and if i had a choice to get an evo id get an MR also. not everyone has to have a standard. as long as some people are able to control their gears like a standard, most will be fine.
highly agree!!! @ the end of the day it doesn't matter what trans you have aslong as you have the power to back up the difference, need less to say there will always be a evo that beats an ralliart and a ralliart to beat a evo, matters how much money you have and patience..
Old May 3, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=NFSLancerRA;8266209]People are discussing the manual transmission as an optional item. It can't hurt sales. It can only help, and the point that has been made is that, in light of Mitsubishi's struggling sales figures at present, doesn't it make sense to adopt the Burger King motto and let people have it their way?

Uhh, most ppl perfer automatic, only the speed nut heads want the manual, and frankly if manual died, which soon could maybe the next step, doubt many ppl would care. In today's market most ppl want auto, and most prefer it, tho some may not of been able to afford it at the time. When more and more demands come for this then it'll come standard or be at no extra cost like some manufactures have been doing. Becasue the average person is not looking to race, and with technology the way it is we have better efficient auto that exceed manual gas mileage and power so good ridens to manuals, there better technology that surpasses its limits
Old May 3, 2010, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead
Uhh, most ppl perfer automatic, only the speed nut heads want the manual, and frankly if manual died, which soon could maybe the next step, doubt many ppl would care.
Who do you think Mitsubishi is targeting with these cars (applies to Evolution and Ralliart models)? Soccer moms?

The point of this whole thread is that there probably would be great enough demand for Mitsubishi to release a manual variant of this car, if for no other reason than TO MAKE MORE POWER than the TC-SST can handle. I made the point that if we do see one, it won't be the savior that everyone else hopes it will be, and amby pointed out that it would be more cost effective for Mitsubishi to just add the GSR manual to the mix (and I followed up with a prediction that we are more likely to see a weaker, fuel saving hack job than a proper manual). I think that most people on this forum would care a whole lot if the manual transmission went the way of the dinosaur. The Evolution is a weekend warrior track car. If I owned one, and I don't, you can be damn sure that I would want it in a manual. I tried Auto-X in my Sport-tronic Eclipse, and that was like getting a lap dance from a mannequin. It looked the same, but it didn't feel quite right.

By the way, I was agreeing with you...right up until you made the comment about doing away with the manual. We could probably make a robot that could move your arms in such a way to hit the perfect tee-shot every time too, but that would take the fun completely out of golf.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I would far rather have a true manual that an automatic of any form, regardless of whether the car is a daily driver or not.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
quick thing, a few people said the wrx only came in manual, they also have the automatic 4eat option for the wrx. which is suprisingly stronger than the wrx 5mt. but since no one seems to understand that manual isnt the super epic 1337 best at everything, most people think its ****ty because its not a stick lmao.
Where have you heard that the automatic is stronger than the 5-speed? The new WRX has a much stronger 5-speed than the glass boxes of 2003.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Uhh, most ppl perfer automatic, only the speed nut heads want the manual, and frankly if manual died, which soon could maybe the next step, doubt many ppl would care. In today's market most ppl want auto, and most prefer it, tho some may not of been able to afford it at the time. When more and more demands come for this then it'll come standard or be at no extra cost like some manufactures have been doing. Becasue the average person is not looking to race, and with technology the way it is we have better efficient auto that exceed manual gas mileage and power so good ridens to manuals, there better technology that surpasses its limits
Uh...I don't know a single person who claims to be a car nut that prefers an automatic to a manual. No matter what people say, there will always be a place for a traditional manual transmission. Hell, these twin-clutch systems are turning out to be mixed blessings, sure they shift fast but their reliability is highly suspect. Mitsubishi is having problems and Nissan has had well known problems with the TC system in the GTR. True car people will always want the visceral sensation of rowing through the the gears yourself, the sense of pride that comes from nailing a perfect heel-toe on your own and the apparent exclusivity that manual cars have in today's automotive environment (where less and less people are even capable of driving a manual car properly).
Old May 3, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I drove my friends civic si over the weekend and I agree with amby. Having the ralliart for so long I forgot what it was like to drive a stick. It had me pushing for the clutch pedal when I got back in my RA. Not saying I hate the twin clutch, just that it was over hyped and not the best transmission out there. If I could go back I would have found a used Evo for the same price of lower instead of buying the ralliart.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Uh...I don't know a single person who claims to be a car nut that prefers an automatic to a manual.
never did I say that car nutz would perfer the auto over manual, infact i said the total opposite. It isn't that ppl aren't capable of driving a manual car properly, anyone can just takes time, its just that ppl just aren't interested, like people were back then. And with the way ppl are now adays its seems that 95% would be drivin auto, whether it be traditional Auto, CvT or Twin Clutch, its just the facts and most powerful supercars to day come only in some form of Automatic transmission, be it Lambo, my beloved Ferrari F-430, or Bugatti (AND AGAIN BEFORE I GET ANY FLAMING FOR SPEAKING OF THESE CARS, I'M IN NO WAY COMPARING THEM TO OUR RALLIS)
Old May 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with TC systems and I have no doubt that they will play a significant role in the future automotive market as a replacement for torque converter or CVT based automatics but this idea that manual cars are dying is a joke. Sports cars are still manual transmission save for some 100000+ exotics. Manual cars still dominate at the Ring (Viper ACR, Corvette ZR1).
Old May 3, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

never did I say that car nutz would perfer the auto over manual, infact i said the total opposite. It isn't that ppl aren't capable of driving a manual car properly, anyone can just takes time, its just that ppl just aren't interested, like people were back then. And with the way ppl are now adays its seems that 95% would be drivin auto, whether it be traditional Auto, CvT or Twin Clutch, its just the facts and most powerful supercars to day come only in some form of Automatic transmission, be it Lambo, my beloved Ferrari F-430, or Bugatti (AND AGAIN BEFORE I GET ANY FLAMING FOR SPEAKING OF THESE CARS, I'M IN NO WAY COMPARING THEM TO OUR RALLIS)
My entire family drives stick, we have not owned an automatic of any form since I got my own car. There are plenty of people still interested in manuals. I agree that most people drive automatics but most people also drive cars that are about as far away from performance oriented as possible. Cars like the Evo, STi, MS3, Si, etc. will remain either exclusively manual or with an automatic as an option for some time. Cars that were meant to be driven are meant to be driven with a third pedal, not a transmission that does all the fun stuff for you.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with TC systems and I have no doubt that they will play a significant role in the future automotive market as a replacement for torque converter or CVT based automatics but this idea that manual cars are dying is a joke. Sports cars are still manual transmission save for some 100000+ exotics. Manual cars still dominate at the Ring (Viper ACR, Corvette ZR1).
TRUE such as a the zr-1 beating the Gt-r @ Nuremberg

Quick Reply: Manual transmisson