Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Manual transmisson

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*smmfh*
Old May 7, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead
ITS SEEMS THERE IS NEVER SOME ONE ON HERE THAT DOESN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CAR.. NEWS FLASH YOU COULD OF BOUGHT SOMETHING ELSE, SO STOP YOUR NAGGING, BESIDES MOST PPL DON'T HAVE GREAT CARS LIKE OURSELVES, SOME ACTUALLY DRIVE SOMETHING THAT YOU COULD BE CALLED ****, LIKE A 1992 BUICK OR SOMETHING, SO JUST STOP THE HATE, JEEZ WHEN I HAD A 4G ECLIPSE AND ON OUR FORUM EVERYONE ON THE SITE WAS PROUD OF THEIR PURCHASE.. BUT HERE PPL CAN'T SEEM TO TAKE THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR BUTTS AND LOOK@ THE BIG PICTURE...... FOR LIFE!!!!
I really have to agree with this. This is meant to be a Ralliart Forum where the car can be discussed in a positive light.

Criticisms are fine where due and I do the same. But if you went on a Toyota Camry forum and blasted the Toyota Camry a lot of people would get pissed off at you. Can you guess why? Yep - because the people on the Toyota Camry forum own Toyota Camry and its the best they could afford.

Most of the readers are Ralliart owners. It should not be a forum to slam the car into the ground and then continually argue against anyone who defends it.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
Most of the readers are Ralliart owners. It should not be a forum to slam the car into the ground and then continually argue against anyone who defends it.
You completely missed why his post was flamed. He reacted unreasonably to an off-handed remark.

No one here is arguing against your point. I think that everyone was ready to move on past the post "slamming" the Ralliart (which was retarded and almost completely unintelligible). I actually laughed when I read the post and even highlighted what I thought was funny. However, Rallihead took it a little bit too seriously. That is all.

All in all, this is a great car. However, you have to understand what it was truly designed for to see the greatness in it. The chronic problem is that people compare this car to the EVO. It is not even close, nor was it meant to be. I remember watching Top Gear awhile back where they had to make an advertisement for the new VW Scirraco Diesel. Jeremy said that it was a much worse version of the regular Scirraco, and that you would be better off buying that. The marketing representative said one of the smartest things that I have ever heard that went something like this: "You are looking at the car the wrong way around. Instead of making a Scirraco worse, they made Diesel better."

Remember the last Ralliart? I think that GearDownSon made a comment in another thread recently that sums this point up pretty nicely:

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Those are pretty good numbers fellas.
I wish it was that easy when i first bought my car lol
He has the old RA (and a nice one at that). Mitsubishi didn't make the EVO worse. They made MONUMENTAL progress on the existing Ralliart, and they made a damn fine DD while they were at it.

The transmission is a compromise. It makes it so that you don't have to shift all day in traffic, but you can also enjoy the fun of a manual-ish gearbox on the weekends or in spirited driving. That really is all that needs to be said.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
this thread has gone nowhere
Fixed
Old May 19, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Me? I would prefer a 6MT (but not the one in the GTS i drove - that clutch slipped) in a heartbeat. I would prefer the better reliability and maintainability over the SST. BUT, they don't offer one and i am convinced i still want the car so i give up my 'right to gripe' about it later.

Kinda' like 'if you didn't vote - you don't have the right to complain'

My favorite quote from my Lovely Bride on the subject: 'Automatics?! Those are so sixteen year old girls could drive!' ( I LOVE her! She absolutley insisted on a 6MT for her 350Z.

I said, 'yes, My Queen'...

Last edited by Veronica; May 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
? Does the GTS even have a 6-speed?
Old May 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

No! You are right- it was just a 5 spd. I downshifted to 4th and floored it and the thing just slipped (revved to redline) and went no faster...

I asked the GTSrs if that was normal and they said 'no' so it may have just been a bad car off the assy line. The salesman just sat back and didn't have anything to say... Of course i had to tell HIM; ' there'really is a 2010 RA Sportback ' and he still argued with me. I shook my head ruefully.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veronica
Of course i had to tell HIM; ' there'really is a 2010 RA Sportback ' and he still argued with me. I shook my head ruefully.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, he was a pretty pizz poor salesman in my opinion... KNow yer Product!
Old May 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Just came across this.

I'm just sharing, don't want anyone to get upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41duY43zbZM

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6kw...ayer_embedded#!

And another vid @ 4:23 The MR is a few cars up.

http://www.ring1.de/tv/alle/media/150/

Here is a letter from one of the race team members:

SST in race application
Dear all,

I am one of the guys, who applicated the SST transmission for mass production and also joined the race team in order to "make the SST running" in a racecar.

First of all, the team is made up of engineers, who are motor sports enthusiastic and mainly already involved in the SST development. With the help of Mitsubishi Japan and a chummy other race team, we build up the vehicle. The purpose of it was to show the potential of the EVO in combination with the SST gearbox. And finally we finished on position 32 out of 180 vehicles.

Let me give some technical details, as far as I can:

The vehicle has been build up from the naked body. Only necessary parts have been assembled. Additional parts for racing like the cell, cooler, pumps, tank... are also equipped. The vehicle build up photo documentation can be seen on our website.

The engine, believe it or not, is nearly mass production like. It has about 300hp with maximum turbo pressure of 1,4 bar and air-restrictor. We made some tests with up to 400hp (app. 500Nm) and the transmission was running quite fine. The only reason for using the 300hp version was, that there was simply no time to create a durable engine SW with more power. Our highest target was up from the beginning of that project, to build up a vehicle, which is capably to survive the 24h race. And with more than 300hp, we had no experiences with on the dynometer for longer than a few hours.

The transmission itself (tatata) is also nearly like mass production. The only hardware change is a little bit shorter 6th gear to increase top speed. Externally equipped is one additional cooler for the trans. With that, the oil temperature during the race never exceeded 102°, so fare away from failing.
By the way: other systems like AYC have had external coolers also.

From software point of view, we made some changes like different shift points, modified interaction with ABS/ESP/AYC and these things. These changes were leading to the fact, that all the drivers drove in auto mode during the race. No one was shifting manually. This is good for a relaxing drive and also good to keep the temperature stable.

If there are more question, please feel free to ask. I hope, I am able to answer them.

By the way: the 7speed DCT from the M3 cannot be used for that vehicle, even if it is from the same company. The engine orientation is different (crossway vs. lengthwise) and the interaction with other modules like engine, ABS, AYC... is completely different in the Evo than in M3.

Greetings!

TICer

Last edited by gccruz; May 22, 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: info added and vid
Old May 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gccruz
...From software point of view, we made some changes like different shift points, modified interaction with ABS/ESP/AYC and these things. These changes were leading to the fact, that all the drivers drove in auto mode during the race. No one was shifting manually. This is good for a relaxing drive and also good to keep the temperature stable...
tcu seems to have been officially tapped...finally!!!
Old May 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
tcu seems to have been officially tapped...finally!!!
That was my first thought after reading that article. I see potential on the horizon (and a new transmission cooler mounted further forward, like in the WORKS Rally Car).
Old May 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Not quite. The reason that they were able to modify the TCU is because they were the original programmers and engineers for Getrag. It is a Getrag + Mitsu sponsored car. But the great part is that he is providing answers and advice on another forum.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
That was my first thought after reading that article. I see potential on the horizon (and a new transmission cooler mounted further forward, like in the WORKS Rally Car).
Or just an upgraded one with a fan.
Old May 22, 2010, 05:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gccruz
Or just an upgraded one with a fan.
That was what I was getting at.

Quick Reply: Manual transmisson