Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

State your Octanes!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO 1AB
93 in Central NC and at least one that sells 100 in Thomasville, NC

Wow thats the texico like 5 mins from my house. I have thought about buying some but its ridiculious to pay 5.99 a gallon.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Lets bring this thread back to life...So we have all "stated our octanes," now I would like to know what brand of gas you guys prefer? This question is especially aimed at those of you running a tune! I am running stage 1 93 at the moment and it seems that Sunoco&Shell give me the least amount of knock. Any major name brands that you have had bad luck with?
I recently read a post on here made by a oil/gas engineer and he was saying that its not SO much the octane, but rather the age of the tanks its coming out of that plays the bigger part in the quality of your pump gas. I agree, octane is important, but if you have 93 sitting in an ancient underground tank thats falling apart, could kind of cancel itself out just a tad. That being said, it seems that most gas stations, even major brands, are franchised. Which means, and this was confirmed by the engineer, that your 93 oct at shell may very well be the same gas as say mobil is pumping. A franchised station is much more likely to cut corners on quality to make an extra buck. His explanation for this is that its usually one large facility close to all these stations that does all the refining. Therefor, if that refinery is poop, your gas may be poop as well. Just passing along some info I thought was appropriate for this thread. But, there is an exception to every rule and it seems that this could have been just a broad generalization on his behalf to get a point across. Nevertheless, STATE YOUR BRANDS!and the ones you avoid.
I am going to start a little test and monitor my knock levels after each fill up from each major brand and will be posting on this thread the knock levels, if any, associated by brand.

Last edited by SOG RA; Jul 14, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

I'm running Sunoco/Petro Canada 94 Octane fuel. Simply because it's the only 94 available in Canada as far as I have ever known.

Good idea with the knock monitoring though, very curious of the results.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:13 AM

I am in Los Angeles CA running Cobb stage 1 93 and using Union 76: 2.5 gal. 100 octane mix with 7 gal. 91 octane to 93.37 octane. I found three Union 76 stations around 10 miles from home selling 100 racing gas. not cheap from $7.99 to $8.35 per gal. pay to play!!!

Last edited by nbxpq3; Jul 15, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Im going to start monitoring knock today with SHELL 93oct. I am going to run the car hard in auto and manual. I have noticed while using manual, with higher revs, knock could be occuring at higher rpms. Also going to run the car on the highway and look for high speed, high rpm knock. If you guys have any other tips on how to run the car to make sure all is covered, let me know.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ok results are in with Shell. I ran Shell pretty hard today. Sport and normal, auto and manual, throughout the whole rpm band and WOT. Results were pretty decent, highest knock I got was .7, using a Cobb AP to measure. The only other knock I got was a .4, both of them occurred at while downshifting in sport mode at low speed. This is over the span of about 3hrs of driving. Now, I went to Advanced auto and got some Lucas fuel system cleaner, put about half in to see if anything would change. Surprisingly, for the remaining hour I had absolutely no knock and ran the car as hard if not harder than with just the Shell. These results were with Shell 93 oct. More to come next fill up...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

E85 In Pamona!!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:45 PM

93 in NY, but it is near impossible to find in ME. I have to plan my trips carefully to fill up in NH and not do too much joy riding while at the beach
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:55 PM

shell 93 in little rock arkansas
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:05 AM

Sunoco "Ultra94" in KW area, ON, Canada
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here in Brevard County Fl, there are 91 or 93 stations peppered all over the place. There is one gas station that has... 107? at what's known as the Tyco airport. Far north side of the county, I live about 4 miles from the south end
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

I like 93 from shell. I put 94 from Petro Canada and the car did not seem to like it too much. The gas here in Gatineau, Qc, Canada is 1,07 per litre
Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

After running the Shell 93 with Lucas cleaner, I did experience some knock at mid range RPM, not consistent, but knock nonetheless.

I filled up Sunoco Ultra 93 for about a day. Highest knock I received was a .4, but had some semi consistent knock at low range rpm. I added Lucas Octane Boost to the gas and since then I have had absolutely no knock whatsoever at high, mid, and low range rpms. On Cobbs website it says if you are experiencing knock with a 93oct map to try a octane booster. I didnt even think that stuff worked, but to be honest if you are running a high octane tune its perfect. More to come next fill up...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
Account Disabled

Husky 94 w/ethanol
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:23 PM

I can only find 93 here on the panhandle