Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 Ralliart extended warranty q&a

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:09 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quaggo
That is correct, if i cancel within I believe 90 days of purchase, I can get 100% refund otherwise it's pro-rated. I did buy the car brand new, and the extended warranty covers up to 100,000miles/10years bumper to bumper. However, I estimate I will put 100k miles on the car within 5-6 years.
Same here, at this rate, the factory bumper-bumper warranty would've been used up in a year and a half. My extended warranty came for something like 800 bucks or something ridiculously cheap like that so I couldn't care less lol.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of repairs do you find to be commonplace on Lancers/Ralliarts between 0 and 100k miles?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

What kind of repairs do you find to be commonplace on Lancers/Ralliarts between 0 and 100k miles?
nothing much if you are lucky. 30/60/90k interval $500+/- fluid changes are what you will be looking at, but repairs, I would think nothing much if there is no major abuse (like track racing daily, lol). But this is a relatively new car (2009+) so we are all not really sure what can go wrong? Can the A/C compressor bust after 4 years? maybe, because nobody has had this car for 4 years yet! , lol.

imho the transmission is the weakest link in this vehicle. 5year / 60k miles is all under Mitsubishi so you can be sure that if you don't mod your car, u will be good on that (if it fails) (+no need for extended warranty)

after the 60k, yeah you're on your own, and no ready supply of SSTs out there, so maybe the extended warranty is a good thing if you are planning on keeping this car for a long time after 60k.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by alphawav
after the 60k, yeah you're on your own, and no ready supply of SSTs out there, so maybe the extended warranty is a good thing if you are planning on keeping this car for a long time after 60k.
That is one of the primary reasons I am still thinking about keeping the extended warranty. I have heard some bad stories about $5,000 to $10,000 transmission repairs. I plan on keeping my car beyond the manufacturer's power train warranty.

I don't think I abuse the car...I drive it on the highway most the time. I don't race it, it's just my everyday A to B car for work commute, errands, etc. But, I do like to take turns as 'quickly' and I use every bit of AWD to push through them. I would say the 'hardest' I am on the car is city streets just sprinting around the block sometimes. But IMO isn't the car built to be driven like this?? So, I wouldn't think this would be hard on it since it's not like I take it to the track. Plus, I don't plan on modding it...other than maybe wheels.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xi
I got the 10yr/100k bumper to bumper because of only 1 thing. I put almost 20k miles a yr on the car last year and should the $10000 transmission grenade after 3-4 years, I'd be covered.
could you tell us how much you paid for this? i have heard the price is different from dealer to dealer.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by artinist
could you tell us how much you paid for this? i have heard the price is different from dealer to dealer.
The dealer said it would be over 2k, but he said with my Costco card it would be 1500.00 (I know right? WTF).

So I paid 1500 for mine. It's supposed to cover the timing chain when that needs serviced eventually, which should be a savings (if the guy wasn't lying to me).
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:45 PM

The dealer said it would be over 2k, but he said with my Costco card it would be 1500.00 (I know right? WTF).

So I paid 1500 for mine. It's supposed to cover the timing chain when that needs serviced eventually, which should be a savings (if the guy wasn't lying to me).
On a new 2011 I payed a total of $1800 for the extended warranty and the pre-paid maintenance for 4 years. So 4 years of no cost regular service and then warranty running for the full 10/100k.

I think it broke down to about 1500 for the warranty and 500 for the 4 years of service, but I have to check.

This was haggled down, though, from their initial ridiculous pricing of >$3k for both of those.

At less than $2k, it seems pretty worth it to me.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by artinist
As far as I can remember, around 800-900 for the 10yr/100k mi. It's bumper to bumper, which is good cause the ralliart has a ridiculously low bumper to bumper (30k mi).
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:45 AM

So multiple people, with multiple prices for possibly the same thing? Like I said I paid $1500.00 with the proof of my costco membership. Here's the company and program I purchased, how does this compare to the rest of you?

It's the "advantage" plan that gives the greatest coverage. http://www.protectiveassetprotection...Info-Sheet.pdf

This not be exactly the plan I have since it says 7 years and not 10.
The more you think about it, the more you wish you would have declined the offer lol. I didn't buy one for my wife's 2011 Sonata, but I did get it for my RA figuring I am going to drive it hard and I plan on keeping it past 100k

Last edited by quaggo; Aug 15, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:05 PM

So multiple people, with multiple prices for possibly the same thing? Like I said I paid $1500.00 with the proof of my costco membership. Here's the company and program I purchased, how does this compare to the rest of you?

It's the "advantage" plan that gives the greatest coverage. http://www.protectiveassetprotection...Info-Sheet.pdf

This not be exactly the plan I have since it says 7 years and not 10.
The more you think about it, the more you wish you would have declined the offer lol. I didn't buy one for my wife's 2011 Sonata, but I did get it for my RA figuring I am going to drive it hard and I plan on keeping it past 100k
Same here (wishing you'd declined... this always happens )

The multiple people/multiple prices thing probably happens because these guys have a kind of lego set of benefits that can be added and subtracted and then a number of variables to give them "wiggle room" when you haggle. So no two plans probably look the same other than "minimum" and "maximum"

In addition, these are all fulfilled by 3rd parties so there could be significant regional differences IMO.

When I get my car back from the custom leather install (I keep the papers in the glove) I'll dig out the policy and post details (as well as get the #s exact)

I think this would be a very big asset to future buyers to have a thread like this with accurate real world data archived.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mlambert890
I think this would be a very big asset to future buyers to have a thread like this with accurate real world data archived.

Absolutely, that is a great idea. I'll grab my paperwork and post details too.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
xi
Evolved Member

According to my paperwork, I have Zurich Preferred coverage, which is one level below Comprehensive coverage.

Preferred covers engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, suspension, steering, brakes, abs, HVAC, electrical, cooling, and interior/exterior.

Now, preferred coverage is above powertrain and above standard. What it covers that the rest doesn't is ABS (all electricals + sensors), adjustable steering column components, all electrical components in the car, climate control in HVAC, radiator, fan, fan clutches, hood/trunk/gas release, hinges, etc.

The top of the line is comprehensive, which literally says "In the event of a mechanical breakdown, we will repair or replace all parts of your vehicle."

I just had my right rear ABS sensor replaced. $500 in labor+parts. My deductible was $100.