Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Whats the lowest grade of gas you can run on RA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats the lowest grade of gas you can run on RA?

i searched and couldnt find an exact answer, right now im planning to get the 2010 Genesis coupe, RWD,turbo all the good stuff and i can run 87 octane. but at the same time i was thinking if i cuold find one for the right price i might get a RA because i really love my lancer, all its missing is turbo and AWD. i know that u cant run 87 octane but can you run mid grade fuel without messing up your engine? its not a HUGE issue but i just want to calculate how much it would cost or get an idea.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would need to run premium in the RA.

Would be surprised if they recommended 87 in the Genesis Coupe though, unless that's for the V6 and not the turbo.

-Taranis
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

91 octane is the minimum you should run in a RA. The RA does have a lower octane map on the ecu too so you can run 87 or 89 but that should only be for emergencies like no stations with premium around on a trip and if u do stay out of boost and run that tank right down to nothing(almost of course) and then put in premium again. The difference between 87 and premium when you fill up is like $3-5 per tank, if you can't manage that you should look at a cheaper car or keep the GTS.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Taranis
You would need to run premium in the RA.

Would be surprised if they recommended 87 in the Genesis Coupe though, unless that's for the V6 and not the turbo.

-Taranis
The Genesis Coupe turbo does recommend regular gas. I've been looking at one recently. It also really doesn't have much power either.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, but get a toyota if youre worrying about octane levels..

And the minimum for the 2.0 turbo coupe is 91. But dont get me wrong, im not here to bash, you can run 84-102 octane without modding or harming anything severely.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew_FL
Sorry, but get a toyota if youre worrying about octane levels..

And the minimum for the 2.0 turbo coupe is 91. But dont get me wrong, im not here to bash, you can run 84-102 octane without modding or harming anything severely.
minimum is def 87. the website and many users on the forums use 87 octane gas. and if you do the math on how much you would spend on gas vs the bad gas milage the RA gets, you spend more money than you think, i just want a fun DD. the twin turbo is what i have my fun in and drinks gas like nothing
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... it appears I may be retarded...... thought it was regular.... oh well.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

i run 94 all year rounddddd you should not run a lower grade then recommended fuel homey!!!
my car is tuned to run on 94...gay stuff
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
minimum is def 87. the website and many users on the forums use 87 octane gas. and if you do the math on how much you would spend on gas vs the bad gas milage the RA gets, you spend more money than you think, i just want a fun DD. the twin turbo is what i have my fun in and drinks gas like nothing
You have three cars, and put considerable money into atleast one of them, and you are worried about spending an extra couple hundred dollars a year for gas?

Something doesn't add up.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Magnus82
It also really doesn't have much power either.
Yeah, stock-for-stock the GC turbo version is horrible compared to the RA power wise. The V6 on the other hand is pretty sweet! =)

-Taranis
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
i average around 250 miles per tank of gas, filling up once the light starts flashing at me with 1 little bar left on the meter. for local/city driving i'm quite satisfied since this equates to a little over 20mpg. on long highway trips i've seen as high as 35mpg from fill-up to fill-up measurement calculations
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Evo is 22mpg highway
Ralliart is 25mpg highway (taller 5th & 6th gear)
Dodge Viper V10 8.4L is 22mpg highway

AWD kills mpg. That's why its basically impossible to buy full-time mechanical AWD vehicles anymore, unless you get a Ralliart/Evo or manual Subie or high end Audi with quattro etc. Everything else is pretty much snake oil.

If MPG is important then I would go with the Hyundai!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly ... if MPG is the prob ... Civic is ur friend ;D
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I am not saying this to be a jerk, but if you cant afford to get at least 91, dont get a Ralliart. I have always put 93 in all my cars, so it has never really shocked me as far as price goes for that gas. But, if you have always used 87 and jump up to 91 or 93, the price difference per month would probably be pretty significant, not to mention if its your daily driver could be more than what you actually pay per month on the car.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ralliart has EVO's heart, man... Treat it nice and it will reward u
I bet most of us who were/are able to purchase and love our RAs won't care too much about the gas bill anyway; otherwise maybe a regular V6 is better bang for u...
PS: Only feed my baby with Shell V-Power #93

Quick Reply: Whats the lowest grade of gas you can run on RA?