Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

H11 Fog lamp to H9 (extreme light output)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H11 Fog lamp to H9 (extreme light output)

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do this trick? The difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. I have read on two separate forums (Tundra and RX-8) where they have done this and were able to get away with it because there optics were designed well enough to control the extra light output. There is apparently only a 0.5 amp draw difference between the two so the wires connecting the bulbs are safe. Our only concerns are having a controlled light and the extra heat on our lens.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've melted housings in other vehicles using higher wattage bulbs. I wouldn't suggest it, if anything, HID kits are so cheap now, and don't produce the heat that extra wattage does. what is the difference in wattage between the 2 bulbs?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
I've melted housings in other vehicles using higher wattage bulbs. I wouldn't suggest it, if anything, HID kits are so cheap now, and don't produce the heat that extra wattage does. what is the difference in wattage between the 2 bulbs?

Our stock bulbs are 55w. The H9 is 65w. Not a big difference in watts or amps. I think it could work. Just wondered if anyone has tried it yet.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoOtto
Our stock bulbs are 55w. The H9 is 65w. Not a big difference in watts or amps. I think it could work. Just wondered if anyone has tried it yet.
on my old truck, went from 35 to 55 watts. didn't melt until I had them on for over an hour one day. I really suggest in not going over wattage. I have h-11's in my evo, and they already run hot compared to the hid projectors.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I did the 9006 to 9005 mod on my last car and bulbs never damaged anything. Had it that way for 3 years. I'm tempted to try it for that kind of light output!!!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

I also ran 9006 to 9005 in my 325is without any issues.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Only thing I could think of is that a lot of guys have been having their fog light lens crack. Not sure if that was from a rock or maybe due to the high heat of aftermarket bulbs mixed with cold air, rain or snow. It seems like most of the guys that had this happen had aftermarket lights so if thats the case, they should chime in here soon.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

One of my lenses cracked and i did have aftermarket bulbs but they were the same wattage as the originals so they couldnt be that much hotter. I live in Florida so it was definitely not snow but they get too hot
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jcusco407
One of my lenses cracked and i did have aftermarket bulbs but they were the same wattage as the originals so they couldnt be that much hotter. I live in Florida so it was definitely not snow but they get too hot
At least we can rule out the hot/cold thought. Now it is a question of rock at speed cracking the lens or temp. of bulb. If it were temp of bulb then I see a recall in our future. (sense your after market bulb was the same watts) Or just inferior plastic lens on the Mitsu. fog lamps.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

The lens is glass and i didnt see any chipping, it was shattered .
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

^ I'm guessing rock! Evo Otto y don't you be our guinea pig and let us know how it goes? That the only real way to find out!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I had fog lights the nokya upgraded lights. Now both my lenses are cracked. I will be replacing the fogs and adding HID's there. I don't believe it it from the rocks...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
I had fog lights the nokya upgraded lights. Now both my lenses are cracked. I will be replacing the fogs and adding HID's there. I don't believe it it from the rocks...
I'm currious to find out what the wattage was on your Nokya's. I looked at my fog light len's this morning and noticed that that had many little stone chips embedded into the len covers. I would think that over time the lens would just give way. But maybe this really is the case with the 65 watt bulbs?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm currious to find out what the wattage was on your Nokya's. I looked at my fog light len's this morning and noticed that that had many little stone chips embedded into the len covers. I would think that over time the lens would just give way. But maybe this really is the case with the 65 watt bulbs?
I know it was only 55W, but that is very hot in a small housing like that. I think I ruined it because I usually run them when there is no fog. I just like the extra light output at night time it feels safer. It must have happened in the winter or sometime when it was colder.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldnt do that, i tried a 75w i think and left the lights on for about 5 mins and the headlight was hot to the touch, i was scared it was going to melt the harness and took it out

Quick Reply: H11 Fog lamp to H9 (extreme light output)