Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

OEM stereo trouble

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM stereo trouble

So my RA has about 12,500 miles on it and now im having stereo problems. With the Radio on i have no troubles but with the CD player on i get the driver and passenger front speakers cut out, almost if theres a loose connection, but if i switch it back to Radio everythings fine. Its only with the CD player on. Has anyone else out there have the same problem or something like that happen to them?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm. Thats weird. Sounds like a bad connection, check the pos and neg cables, odd it does it only with cd. Take it to the stealership, let those guys deal with it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:56 PM

Ahh yes ... stereo warentee work ... isn't that where they pull it, send it to the factory and you get it back in like 6 weeks or something?

Is it just one CD? I know I ocassionally have "skips" on my MP3 CD's. Doesn't makse sense that speaker channels would go out selectivly based on source.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Well im a mechanic and if youve seen the back of the RA stereo headunit it isnt like most models or makes. Its not even worth taking it out and looking because with the Radio on theres never a problem, even if the volumes all the way up or im driving down a dirt bumpy road. When im listening to the CD Player the speakers want to kick on when they like. If you tap the top of the headunit it sometimes comes back to normal. Thats what leads me to believe its in the headunit, not the speakers or connection. And about taking it to the dealership, its too far away and i lose too much money driving and looking for rides back. My Mitsubishi Dealership is a joke, they dont work on cars while you wait and have to order everything.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe something with the bluetooth. Are you running your phone on it?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I've had this issue before with my aftermarket radio. It's a problem with the actual unit. Or rather a solder in the unit.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
common problem. take it to the dealership and it'll be replaced under warranty. they'll order the new radio when you go in and they verify the complaint, and then call you in for an exchange when the replacement unit arrives so you dont drive around without a radio.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
common problem. take it to the dealership and it'll be replaced under warranty. they'll order the new radio when you go in and they verify the complaint, and then call you in for an exchange when the replacement unit arrives so you dont drive around without a radio.
+1. had the oem unit replaced on my 2008 lancer es twice.

once for crap reception , 2nd time for a jammed cd.

both were at separate dealerships and both did exactly what chi town said.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Wow I have this problem too... I took it to the dealership and they ordered the radio unit and it's backordered so I have to wait 3 weeks to get it done.

Also my problem is only there when I listen to the cds. When I'm listening to the radio or mp3 with AUX cables the music is fine.

It's so annoying to have one side cut out then hit a bump and it goes on and vice versa...
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys i know the dealership is the only way to go but i try everything i can to NOT go there.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, nice. I didn't think there would be a thread on this. I have just my driver side front door speaker cut in and out. It's not something I can replicate, it cuts out and back in when it wants to. I mostly listen to my MP3 player 99% of the time, so this is the setting where I experienced my problem. Good to know it's most likely the head unit. Anyone have a TSB for this? It usually makes things easier and faster when I go to the dealership. I like to make them think I know what I'm talking about.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
not yet, as far as i know, but i'll check into it a bit more tomorrow. most high-volume dealers are already well aware of the problem though.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

It's funny I didn't notice it before but after reading this thread I was driving on the highway, hit a bump and my volume got louder and it went on the left side 2 secs after lol
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Warranty is good for that tho.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

I can't get this fixed unless the dealer experiences the issue themselves. I can't replicate the problem for them, so I probably can't get this fixed. I only have 6k miles left on my bumper-to-bumper warrenty.

Quick Reply: OEM stereo trouble