Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking about jumping ship...?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck in your quest xi.

I probably will keep my RA for1 or 2 more years then trade it in on something else. She's a fun girl to ride but, in the end (bad pun I know) she's not the marrying kind, and some more panache and sophistication is in order. IMO
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:02 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RADriver

I probably will keep my RA for1 or 2 more years then trade it in on something else. She's a fun girl to ride but, in the end (bad pun I know) she's not the marrying kind, and some more panache and sophistication is in order. IMO
I put a lot of miles on the car (~18-20k/yr) and I wanted to do it now while it's relatively early. I guess it's down to now or never.
Of all the cars I've driven in, been in, and test driven, it's definitely one of the most dynamic rides out there of any car under 40g's. However, I think you hit the nail on the head. While it's a fun car, I think if I'm gonna be owning something for the long term, something a little tamer with less hassle might be in order. Money aside, the fact that I'm having such a hard time in justifying letting go against cars like the C300 4-matic, A3/4, IS250awd, 328ix, TL SH-awd, and G37x shows just how good of a ride the RA is. (Yes I looked at all of those, I'm more partial to the Merc mainly because my parents have always wanted me to have a Merc, so it's to shut my dad up every time he sees a Merc on the street and nags me about it. I love the guy.)
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by RADriver

I'm with you there. Right now is just not a good time, the RA is going to crush Chicago winter and in 2013, too many awesome cars should be coming out. That'll be the perfect time.

2013 bmw 1 series with possible 2 door hatch and shooting-brake variants
2013 Alfa Romeo Spider?
2013 Evo XI
2013 vw Golf R20
2013 Porsche 356 might be too
...list goes on and on...

Although I've always thought this dude's c300 looked sick, exactly what I'd do to mine: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3315942

For some reason I just can't shake the feeling German cars just seem soft and fragile to me. I'm so spooked to even drive one because it's been ground into my head they're a nightmare with maintenance and unreliable post-warranty (due in part to growing up with my seasoned 30 years and very old-school mechanic father). I even lived in Germany for 6 months with a host family that worked in MB engineering, and I still can't change my mind those cars (audi, bmw, mercedes, etc.) are time bombs. Yet, according to my list above...I'll probably own one day.

Also, those 335i's...apparently their high pressure fuel pumps really ARE time bombs! ack.

Last edited by defiant2006; Sep 14, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

i'm keeping my car until electric cars become more available. i really loved the Volt concept. there's so many concepts released this year that it's redundant to get a new car within the next 3 years then trade up for an electric in 2013 or 2014. i really wish my CTS lasted me until i could buy a Volt, but it wasn't in the cards.

as far as refined goes, i loved my luxury sedan, but it was so underpowered! if i were to go with a luxury sedan again, i'd definitely go top of the line like an M5 as opposed to a 535, or CTS-V instead of the V6 CTS, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Smile

isf for me daily driver and LFA weekend warrior i wish i win lottery
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mikesim
i'm keeping my car until electric cars become more available. i really loved the Volt concept. there's so many concepts released this year that it's redundant to get a new car within the next 3 years then trade up for an electric in 2013 or 2014. i really wish my CTS lasted me until i could buy a Volt, but it wasn't in the cards.

as far as refined goes, i loved my luxury sedan, but it was so underpowered! if i were to go with a luxury sedan again, i'd definitely go top of the line like an M5 as opposed to a 535, or CTS-V instead of the V6 CTS, etc.
I'm beginning to think that same thing honestly. Seems like EV is gaining some serious momentum. I probably won't even put 6k on my car this year so in the future, an EV would be perfect if it had some fun/power to it.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would definitely reconsider the mb choice. like mentioned above, they are great while covered under warranty, but just because it is german does not mean it is problem free, especially with their version of lower or mid-range cars, there tend to be a lot of issues down the road which end up being very costly with the limited aftermarket support all being in the top tier category and essentially costing more than i would consider reasonably worthwhile.

that being said, i would strongly recommend spending a bit more time with the TL SH-AWD and the S4. the acura, of course, is on the honda platform which will net great reliability and the acura badge will up the quality of service a bit and provide that little touch of luxury to an otherwise very fun car to drive, not to mention there is and seems to always have been a healthy aftermarket for the Honda family of cars. the audi is something that i've always had respect for as well since i have a few friends who came from vw backgrounds. they are very classy and have an air of power about them while maintaining sophisticated simplicity, if that makes sense. very smooth, clean body-lines with all the right accents (B7 chassis) or the classy/aggressive/muscle combination look (B8 chassis), a strong power plant with the 4.2 or supercharged 3.0 depending on your choice, and a very competent awd package, though the audi is also a bit up there in terms of maintenance costs, its nowhere near the mb
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Pacifica is one the WORST cars ever... comparable to a Reliant Robin in its drivng
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

I second chi- Tl SH-AWD is best package all around
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
xi
Evolved Member

I'm looking at a 2009 Acura TL-SHAWD tomorrow... I'm still having a hard time letting go. Since the RA was an impulse buy, I'm not buying the Acura unless it strikes me the same way as the RA the first time.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:46 PM

the ford focus ST was announced today for america too. the interior looks sick, i'd totally rock that in 2012 as a hot hatch. here's hoping it's awd...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Well I guess I'm keeping the RA. I can't seem to find anything that's that much better than the RA to justify moving on (I'm not really into luxury, not for another 10 years anyway). Plus I just love this place and the aftermarket support so much.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Good choice the only thing I would want right now is the GSR but I want to keep lower monthly payments.