Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

OEM ballast to 55w ballast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM ballast to 55w ballast

this is probably my biggest newb thread ever but...

i'm moving up from the oem hids to a 55w setup... now being this is my first oem hid setup but not my first HID install i'm wondering are all HID ballast configured with the same connections...

like can i simply plug in an aftermarket 55w kit where my oem ballast was and just replace the bulb with the another?

or is there something else i'll need to do, so anyone who might ahve done this feel free to get in here and let me know
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is what u have to know:
- OEM HID is "attached" to the bottom of ur headlight ... basically just a +/- 12v wire supply the power to the ballast
- The output of the ballast is routed *inside* of your housing to the HID D2S bulb

here is what i suggest u to do ... if u insist on getting 55w aftermarket kit:
- Unplug the power supply to ur OEM ballast
- Get a relay kit from after market HID vendors
- Install ur relay kit and attach the "remote-start" to OEM harness supplying to OEM ballast
- Drill a hole in ur OEM HID cover to pass ur HID bulb
- Replace your D2S bulb by the one supply by the kit

You can also replace completely the OEM unit... but you will probably have to seal some places on the headlight since the aftermarket ballast wont be the same size as your OEM ballast..

**IMHO**
this is really too much to make your low beam slightly brighter.. Ive installed more than 20 HID kits and I never recommend 55w.

Hope everything is understandable and Good Luck
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

hmm reason i want 55w is because the OEM lights simply aren't that bright, i simply want more output...

guess i gotta get in there and have a look at everything before i commit to swapping the low beams, since the low beam isn't connected to the DRL's u don't need any special relays or anything though right?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Should not need.. you can probably plug the OEM low beam wires to the 55w ballast and it would work
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

is there anyway to adjust the beam vertically aside from the leveling switch... like a manual adjustment screw?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

nope if you have the leveling kit.... it goes over the adjusting screw and the only way to do it is to remove the head like and adjust it manually because there no room to fit you hand in to it
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by robyn402
this is probably my biggest newb thread ever but...

i'm moving up from the oem hids to a 55w setup... now being this is my first oem hid setup but not my first HID install i'm wondering are all HID ballast configured with the same connections...

like can i simply plug in an aftermarket 55w kit where my oem ballast was and just replace the bulb with the another?

or is there something else i'll need to do, so anyone who might ahve done this feel free to get in here and let me know

You can run an OEM hid bulb at 55w..

It will run a little hotter than standard but not by much..

After market bulbs run a fair bit hotter than OEM bulbs.. I would not do this.

Philips do a 50w bulb called a DL50. This bulb will fit your headlight with a very simple mod to the base of the bulb.

You can use this bulb all day long with a 55w ballast with no problems with it running hotter.

They are a bit hard to get hold of though.

If you can't source a DL50 then by all means use a 55w ballast with OEM bulbs.

You won't be able to fit a 55w ballast where your OEM ballast fits.

Good quality 55w ballasts can be found on HID planet.

Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03
nope if you have the leveling kit.... it goes over the adjusting screw and the only way to do it is to remove the head like and adjust it manually because there no room to fit you hand in to it

so i could theoretically take the motor off adjust the vertical level of the beam then put the motor back on?

just trying to compinsate for the drop from lowering
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I thought someone found a manual adjustment screw .. not sure.. you should search around... im sure there was a thread about it
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed the DDM 55watt kit in my IX.

Things to know:
1. The slim ballast kit is smaller than OEM and if you are creative you can mount it in the same location and secure it with some sort of strap and two screws to hold it in place.

2. Love the new light output

3. If you currently have D2s bulbs they require 2 adapters available from them. One that attaches the bulbs to the ballast and another you have to splice in to get your OE wiring to connect to the ballast. Sounds like a real PITA but had I known what I know now I could do the whole job in about 1.5 hours.

If you feel your lights aren't bright enough you should be more than happy with the
55's. Just make sure you so your best to seal the hole up where you OE ballast went and enjoy.