Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How would YOU classify our tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither. I classify the SST type of transmission different from either a manual or automatic transmission, I see it as a third, and distinct, type of transmission. It can be classified as both an automatic and a manual, as it shares characteristics of both, but also has it's own characteristics and technology that are common between SST type transmissions (see Porsche PDK, for example) but not with either of the other types. That's why when people ask me if its a manual or an auto, I say "neither".

Haha I just realized there was another post similar to this one. I had started writing it earlier and had to stop to do work, then came back and finished it an RGRA beat me to it

Last edited by SudzRA; Nov 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:39 PM

Well if i had to say i would say i didn't know she was a Tranny
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:50 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I felt the same way about the 09' RA. I never liked the previous RA's because I thought they were just normal lancers with lipstick on.

When I found out that it was gonna be a lancer with the 4b11t instead of a 4b11 or 4b12, I was like $.

Then I found out that it would be coming with the evo 9 awd system, i was like, $$$.

Then when I found out that it would ship with a twin clutch transmission, i was like $$$$$$$ *here's my wallet*!

I think they have a winner because the suby wrx is much closer to the sti than it is to the impreza and the RA used to be much closer to the lancer than evo.

Originally Posted by RGRA
If you haven't realized yet, Ralliart owners are very fortunate to have this technology in their cars. When the "spy shots", and rumors started flying about the new '09 RA, no one expected us to get any variation of the 4B11 or all wheel drive, let alone the pricey complicated trans found in the MR. Now the only way a sane person can try to justify it in their minds is by saying it has to have some major differences compared to the TC-SST found in the MR, but besides the top end gear ratio's, their doesn't seem to be any *major* differences at all.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

The fun part with the tcsst is that sometimes when I feel like it I can really imitate a standard manual trans, on up hills I roll back a bit, then the tailgaters behind me know to stay back a bit, it fun rolling back in traffic.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by T67@20ART
The fun part with the tcsst is that sometimes when I feel like it I can really imitate a standard manual trans, on up hills I roll back a bit.
blew my friends mind doing that
....it really opened his eyes to the fact that the tc-sst wasn't a normal automatic!!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Normal auto slush box= waaaaa, ____uwaaaa
Standard manual= vroom, "click" vroom
Tcsst= vroooooooom_vrooooom_vroooom_vrooom_vroom_vromm
Old Nov 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chazyronnie
It amazes me how many tryhards think they're going so fast cos they drive a manual... unless you're some form of racing driver there's no way you're going to beat this transmission for shifting speed... you know that when you engage the clutch in a manual transmission you STOP accelerating, right? But with this transmission... you don't? And for f@*ks sake there's more to cars than OMG 0-60 times...
ya was one of those times where im like dude just because its not a manual doesnt mean its not a sports car, i told him dont even try and down play my car and eventually he pissed me off and i was like GTFO, we didnt even leave his driveway. Btw he drives a eclipse....well he did at the time he wrecked it, now drives this hoopied ricer honda with all exterior mods n no power.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Automatic manual sounds dumb....

Use Manumatic...I was explaining this befor.

Guy: Oh its like my car the Sportronic-
Me: No it a Computer Controled Manual
Other Guy: does it have a clutch.
Me: It has two
Guy: So it has 4 pedals.
Me: Blows brains out

Last edited by Wasurumo; Nov 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wasurumo
Other Guy: does it have a clutch.
Me: It has two
Guy: So it has 4 pedals.
Me: Blows brains out
LOL I can't even count the number of times I've had this exact exchange...
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

lol this dumb chick i went on a couple dates on said its the one with a D and my miata is 12345
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vplukas101
lol this dumb chick i went on a couple dates on said its the one with a D and my miata is 12345
Its not nice to talk about your mother like that. lol jk
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:31 AM

i nearly knocked some stupid **** out a couple of days ago he said it was tiptronic i said no it isnt its a electronically controled manual that does not lose drive to the wheel like or **** box manual so no dead power constamt power to wheels
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Automatic because:
- Shifts for you
- No manually(human) operated clutch
- Rev matches for you

Manual because:
- No torque converter
- Not a slushbox
- Can bouce off the rev limiter all day... havent seen any automatic do that yet
- Can control when to shift at a moment's notice

But this argument is retarded. at the end of the day... a car that goes fast is a sports car. It doesnt matter if you shift or the car shifts. Your still going fast and can take a corner... thats what a sports car is all about.

Last edited by captobvious75; Nov 10, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xi
I've gotten so tired of answering the question at work now that when people ask, I just say, "i forget exactly what it's called, but it's the same type of transmission that's in the new Ferrari 458 italia." It shuts em up pretty quick.

I think mitsu has said manumatic at one point.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robertg

I think mitsu has said manumatic at one point.
In the Evo X MR training video, they said, "It's an automated manual transaxle."