Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

CP-e Test Pipe Installed, a Few Q's...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CP-e Test Pipe Installed, a Few Q's...

Hey All,
So I got a CP-e test pipe w/ the HFC (CA based), and installed it last Friday (12/03). First impression, added a nice lower rumble to the exhaust. Not louder (thankfully), but lower tone
Anywho, some background:
Didn't have time to wire-up the Pro Sport AFR (hopefully this weekend), so plugged that guy for now (funny story, I apparently didn't tighten that one when tightening everything else; Monday morning comes along, heading out to work, plug comes off, just about scared the bejesus out of me, talk about LOUD, woops haha!)
So despite everyone's proclamation about lacks of SES lights, I get one after about 5 miles. Scan, off course P0420 (Cat Efficiency), use the Tephra method and turn it off (Ecu Option 2, 1, toggle to 0).
Now here's my question: Until this weekend when I get a chance to install the AFR, I'm running a bit blind; I'm TRYING to not go above say 50-60% throttle (guesstimate). However a couple times I have inadvertently pushed it (say on a steep grade), and about 5 secs after I ease off I smell gas? Has anyone experienced this with the test pipe? I was expecting the increased exhaust smell, but not gas?!?
Is this due to the ECU throwing extra fuel into an already rich mix?
Now here's where it gets really odd. Common sense would tell me that my MPG should go down, right?? It goes up, from about 21ish to 25ish. At first thoght this sounds bad (running too lean). I know I'm asking a lot without having logged with the AFR yet, but any clues???
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sstevojr; Dec 9, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
It's not a test pipe if it has a HFC. It's a HFC.

Yes it's normal to smell more with a better flowing cat
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Hey All,
So I got a CP-e test pipe w/ the HFC (CA based), and installed it last Friday (12/03). First impression, added a nice lower rumble to the exhaust. Not louder (thankfully), but lower tone
Anywho, some background:
Didn't have time to wire-up the Pro Sport AFR (hopefully this weekend), so plugged that guy for now (funny story, I apparently didn't tighten that one when tightening everything else; Monday morning comes along, heading out to work, plug comes off, just about scared the bejesus out of me, talk about LOUD, woops haha!)
So despite everyone's proclamation about lacks of SES lights, I get one after about 5 miles. Scan, off course P0420 (Cat Efficiency), use the Tephra method and turn it off (Ecu Option 2, 1, toggle to 0).
Now here's my question: Until this weekend when I get a chance to install the AFR, I'm running a bit blind; I'm TRYING to not go above say 50-60% throttle (guesstimate). However a couple times I have inadvertently pushed it (say on a steep grade), and about 5 secs after I ease off I smell gas? Has anyone experienced this with the test pipe? I was expecting the increased exhaust smell, but not gas?!?
Is this due to the ECU throwing extra fuel into an already rich mix?
Now here's where it gets really odd. Common sense would tell me that my MPG should go down, right?? It goes up, from about 21ish to 25ish. At first thoght this sounds bad (running too lean). I know I'm asking a lot without having logged with the AFR yet, but any clues???
Thanks,
Steve
if the afr hole is pre cat you will get a po420 because of the extra air, the cel fix on the pipe may not be to blame,

the cat essentially re-burns unburned fuel in the exhaust, smaller hfc= more fuel smell

you can fun the car as hard as you want as long as the front o2 sensor is in place and before the afr port that is now uncapped

as far as you mpg, i assume your using the dash mounted one which to be honest isnth that accurate, if you dont have a lean code dont worry

Last edited by GRAPHITE RALLI; Dec 9, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have the straight test pipe without HFC and I didnt get a light. Then again I got the entire exhaust so... IDK
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

if the afr hole is pre cat you will get a po420 because of the extra air, the cel fix on the pipe may not be to blame,

the cat essentially re-burns unburned fuel in the exhaust, smaller hfc= more fuel smell

you can fun the car as hard as you want as long as the front o2 sensor is in place and before the afr port that is now uncapped

as far as you mpg, i assume your using the dash mounted one which to be honest isnth that accurate, if you dont have a lean code dont worry
Ahhh, thanks that helps quite a bit! Yes the 1st o2 is in place, the extra bung for the afr is plugged up (for a couple more days), and the second o2 is actual off as I understand it (based on tephra's fix and explanation) but still in the bung. The cel/ses was prior to turning the o2 sensor off (with the extra bung plugged up as well), and the reason for having to "fix" it.
As I mentioned I was fully expecting the increase exhaust smell, but the whole gas thing sure had me wondering.
Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
\, the extra bung for the afr is plugged up (for a couple more days), and the second o2 is actual off as I understand it (based on tephra's fix and explanation) but still in the bung. The cel/ses was prior to turning the o2 sensor off (with the extra bung plugged up as well), and the reason for having to "fix" it.
Thanks.
sorry i had assumed you lost the cap since you said it fell out in the O.P. and were just running it with a hole in the exhaust...sorry for the misunderstanding
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

So did you notice any gains? How long did the install take you?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

sorry i had assumed you lost the cap since you said it fell out in the O.P. and were just running it with a hole in the exhaust...sorry for the misunderstanding
Haha, NP. I actually went to Napa and waited 20 mins for them to open at 8am. Asked the guy for a new plug, which they didn't have in stock. But the guy was quick on his feet, and found a spark plug with the same threading as the o2 bung. So I have a spark plug backwards in the hole; planning on wiring up the AFR either tonight after work, or tmw morning what ever works, right, haha!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

So did you notice any gains? How long did the install take you?
It took about 2 hours, because of the repeated need for PB Blaster on all 4 bolts, but much worse was the o2 sensor. What pain in the a$$ that was. Actually wrench time, maybe 20-30 mins, the remainder was waiting for the PB to work its magic
Definitely an increase in power, especially on the top end. As you already know, our cars have great pick-up, but run out of air above 5500rpm. This definitely helped to increase power on the top end, as you can see on CP-e's website (I believe its called the 'QuickPower Pipe'). Spool up seems to be smoother as well; but the real gains will be from the ability to log and tune (slowly), and once I get a 3" cat-back to open up the flow even more, thereby re-leaving even more back pressure. And that sexy rumble, totally worth it ;^P
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it was well worth the time. Do you have time to post some vids so we can hear it?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:39 AM

sounds like a great add...may do it myself
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

This is strange, I had the CP-E Catless testpipe on my 09 Ralliart and now on my 10X and I never got a light.. ever lol

If your one defouler doesn't work try a second.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

If your one defouler doesn't work try a second.
Ya, but it was some much easier to turn it off. Its not even needed for the car, just for emissions (which I don't get tested for until after 5 years?). And if/when I do need to, I'll just buy a new narrow band and turn it back on
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, btw
Prosport AFR installed for a week now, everything is good! Despite my worries, it was extremely rich not lean under WOT (10:1, wow lots of room to tune it sounds like). Actually I just got my serial to USB in the mail today, and I wouldn't be surprised if its really more like 9:1 from I've read from others (the gauge is 10-20:1).
Another thing I've noticed I can hear more clearly with the HFC; the timing is TOO advanced and needs to be retarded. Its that inconsistent sound in the exhaust when cruzing right?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Can you post a video clip of the exhaust. I am interested in doing this I just want to hear how it sounds.

Quick Reply: CP-e Test Pipe Installed, a Few Q's...