Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

A few things happened today in the snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few things happened today in the snow

So I pushed the car a bit more then normal today in the snow and a few problems occured.
First off, the engine was warm etc.

I drove in normal manual mode (snow mode) and when I took a turn and the ASC worked overtime it actually gave me a Service light and shut it off.
I stopped at the next red light and shut down the engine and restarted and it was gone.

Second thing happened much later. I shut off the ASC by holding down the button and went for a emergency break turn and I put some gas in the end and the car shut down the engine without any warning lights (When I do this with the ASC engaged it limits the throttle, which it didn't do with it off).

Again I just start it up again and it's back to normal.

Do I need to worry? Any tips on what modes I should use on the different occasions? I really don't want to shut the ASC off but sometimes it feels like it would be better off when I drift on purpose.

I will probably buy a used X MR later and I suppose this can happen with that car aswell, seeing they got the same type of transmission?

Thanks,
T
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
That's strange that the motor would shut off completely. I'd expect it to just go into limp mode. Very strange.

Concerning the first issue; by chance, did you have any snow/ice built up in your front wheel wells? I had a large amount of snow/ice buildup in the wheel wells once and I got an ASC error and a service light. Once I knocked all of it out it went away by itself.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

The second issue could have been caused by the ECU thinking the car had been in an accident and shutting off the fuel pump. It seems odd that it would occur during a simple j-turn, but if the ice and snow that DetriotRA mentioned was messing with the sensors, then its possible the ECU thought a collision occured.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

anytime you are drifting or e brake sliding around you should have your ASC OFF otherwise you are making your car do so much extra work for nothing.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

goodthing its an 09 warrenty!!!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

About the ASC service light: Yes there were alot of snow built up and that was probably the reason.

And about the E-break turn: I've read that the car automaticly turns the ASC off when the e-break is pulled to not damage the electronics and I hope its true cause I've done it a few times now with success. Allthough it limits the throttle on the way out of the turn (Takes time to recover) so that's why I tried with ASC off, but instead it just died on me and that made me a 'lil worried.

Originally Posted by DetroitRA
That's strange that the motor would shut off completely. I'd expect it to just go into limp mode. Very strange.

Concerning the first issue; by chance, did you have any snow/ice built up in your front wheel wells? I had a large amount of snow/ice buildup in the wheel wells once and I got an ASC error and a service light. Once I knocked all of it out it went away by itself.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:17 AM

Funny cause I threw a code today on my way to work...light snow on the ground, coming out of my neighborhood, car was warmed up, spun some tires a bit due to the snow, and driving very slowly, then my service engine light popped on.

Gotta go to auto zone and get a code reader now and pull the code to find out what it is.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gloom
So I pushed the car a bit more then normal today in the snow and a few problems occured.
First off, the engine was warm etc.

I drove in normal manual mode (snow mode) and when I took a turn and the ASC worked overtime it actually gave me a Service light and shut it off.
I stopped at the next red light and shut down the engine and restarted and it was gone.

Second thing happened much later. I shut off the ASC by holding down the button and went for a emergency break turn and I put some gas in the end and the car shut down the engine without any warning lights (When I do this with the ASC engaged it limits the throttle, which it didn't do with it off).

Again I just start it up again and it's back to normal.

Do I need to worry? Any tips on what modes I should use on the different occasions? I really don't want to shut the ASC off but sometimes it feels like it would be better off when I drift on purpose.

I will probably buy a used X MR later and I suppose this can happen with that car aswell, seeing they got the same type of transmission?

Thanks,
T
Had the same thing the other night..the car just shut off on me.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Wow and i thought i abused my car. Asc has almost put me into a median twice now. I want throttle oversteer to happen and that asc starts flashing and i am f'd.

I try to keep mine off and i dont do ebrake turns.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:43 PM

Shutting off ain't good. I'd definitely have it looked at. Thats the kind of driving that I bought this car for. I was messing around in the snow a lot last week. Did plenty of e-brake pivot turns into four wheel power slides in all driving mode combinations without issue.

Well, I did have one issue. One day I jump into the car for lunch and wobbled down the road. Had so much ice/snow built up on the inside of the wheels from the morning shenanigans that it threw them all out of balance. Wheel wells were packed full too. Couldn't drive more than 35 mph or the car would shake apart. Had to limp to the car wash to blast the wheels clean. Totally worth it for a half hour of tearing up 4 inches of virgin snow in an abandoned industrial park

Last edited by Dedicated5.0; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:15 PM.