Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

launch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is funny! lol I guess my foot is magical!!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:49 PM
Account Disabled

its still a pointless method of launching. The turbo spools at 3000 rpms, having it higher then that, brake boost or not is just useless and like a said, a placebo.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Im under the assumption that the brakeless "gas pedal feathering" technique isn't wearing the clutch nearly as much vs slipping while holding the brakes down
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

In a perfect world, where every road is flat with no leaning so that you can be still without moving and your feet swift and light as a feather..

Sounds boring.. and use the brakepedal, just don't rev it too much before the launch.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Westbound&down
its still a pointless method of launching. The turbo spools at 3000 rpms, having it higher then that, brake boost or not is just useless and like a said, a placebo.
+1 guys. for launching, you'll want to look at your dyno readings, if you have them, and find out your max tq rating, which is right around 3k rpm like westbound is recommending. then you'll want to be launching at that exact rpm (in a perfect world, of course) since the most torque, when applied to the wheels without slippage, will yield the greatest initial movement.

then the genius of a transmission that we have should proceed to keep you in your max/ideal-hp range for the rest of the trip down the track since, in theory, you wouldnt want to reach your tq max again as that would find you back down in the lower rpm range and cause unnecessary and unwanted slippage.

there was actually a great article about interpreting dyno-graphs in order to yield the best et's depending on each individual car's setup. i believe it was in a modified or import tuner or some magazine not too long ago. good read if you can find it, i'll see if somebody i know still has that issue.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by captobvious75
Im under the assumption that the brakeless "gas pedal feathering" technique isn't wearing the clutch nearly as much vs slipping while holding the brakes down

you arent wearing anything when the car is stationary. Our clutch pack is always engaged anyways.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
you arent wearing anything when the car is stationary. Our clutch pack is always engaged anyways.
The clutches are not engaged when you are stopped with the brakes on. I think you are confusing it with the selected gear being engaged.

Once you let off the brake and start going the single clutch pack in 1st starts to engage (brings the pressure on, aka feathering the clutch) until you are moving where it then gives it more pressure, while 1st gear clutch pack is engaged, 2nd gear clutch pack is disengaged. (Even and odd clutch packs)

I can show you data logs if you disagree.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
The clutches are not engaged when you are stopped with the brakes on. I think you are confusing it with the selected gear being engaged.

Once you let off the brake and start going the single clutch pack in 1st starts to engage (brings the pressure on, aka feathering the clutch) until you are moving where it then gives it more pressure, while 1st gear clutch pack is engaged, 2nd gear clutch pack is disengaged. (Even and odd clutch packs)

I can show you data logs if you disagree.
Please post!! I want to see what these logs look like
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rocky_RA
Tap the gas till it reaches 3,500 - 4,000 rpm and then go WOT! Dont press on the brakes when you do it, just tap the gas multiple times till you reach the desired rpm.

For me that is the safest route to take.
Has anyone else had any success trying this launch method?

Is it just that I do not have the magical foot?

Having read the post I was intrigued, so I gave it a try a few times myself in sportmode, with traction control off.

My car lunged forward every single time my less than magical foot tapped the accelerator.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RideSober

Having read the post I was intrigued, so I gave it a try a few times myself in sportmode, with traction control off.

My car lunged forward every single time my less than magical foot tapped the accelerator.
Yes mine does as well. There has to be something here that isn't being communicated correctly.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RideSober

thats because thats what a gas pedal does. when you touch it, it makes the vehicle move. Its a wonderful thing.

And bryan, i would like to see the data. At idle you can hear the clutch packs moving, even in park. Maybe engaged was the wrong word, but the transmission is always operating, even with the brake pedal down.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

And bryan, i would like to see the data. At idle you can hear the clutch packs moving, even in park. Maybe engaged was the wrong word, but the transmission is always operating, even with the brake pedal down.
Yes of course the turny bits are always moving but the clutch pack is not engaged in park and in drive stopped with the brake pedal on without gas. That is why you can hear the clutches chattering, as there is no load on them.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Here is a log in 1st gear taking off from 0 mph

Notice the initial slip in 1st (OddClutch), which is the clutch feathering, then the slip goes back down to zero as the speed starts going up. Also notice the ClutchPressure increase after initial feathering...

Notice *both* clutch packs registering a bit of slip when the car is stopped at 0 mph with no TPS input. That is basically the clutches "freewheeling" and not engaged.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The razorloab method is the one I use but with exception that I need to use the brake because if I let the brake off even without taping gas my car goes forward.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm question then... whats the difference between park and neutral in these trannys?

Quick Reply: launch