Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. Actually a guy that used to be on the forums here. Not sure if he's still around. If you're interested I can dig up his e-mail address for you
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE!

Finally got the car out to the strip to make some passes, and I have to say I am thoroughly satisfied with the results.

Let me start by saying that the only upgrades on the car since last year are CBRD's new RA specific FMIC and a velocity stack design intake (both AMAZING products) along with a much-needed 3-port to optimize everything on the car. And then, of course, there is Devin's awesome tune.

I went out to the track, not expecting much since conditions weren't exactly ideal, but I couldn't wait any longer. On-track temps around mid-day were hovering around 90*F and since I wasn't expecting to make any spectacular passes in the heat/humidity, I decided to run at full weight. I figured that maybe the 1/4 times wouldn't be the best, but I could work on my 60' and keep a close eye on my afr/boost coming down the track to see just how the new tune was performing and make sure everything was where it was supposed to be.

First pass, 10:47am, was a little iffy, as it usually is, and I managed a 13.07 @102 with a 1.79 60'. Not bad for being a first run.

Second pass, 11:11am, was run within a half-hour of the first, which was probably a bad idea because I probably launched the best I ever have, but the car hadn't cooled down enough so I got the "slow down" ss-t warning and mostly just cruised down the track once the clutches re-engaged and managed a 14.50 @ 77. On a good note, I guess, I managed a .066 R/T. I really wish I could have made a full pass with that launch because I feel like it would have been a great run.

So now I realize how much of a factor the heat is playing in my car's operation, so I park it and skip the next run group and wait for the car to cool a bit.

Third pass of the day is at 1:19pm, getting close to the hottest, nastiest part of the day, but the car has been sitting about 2 hours and is down to near-ambient temp. I line up and go. The car just feels like it hooks-up and goes. I don't really know at first, obviously, how well I've actually done, other than the 1.77 60' time I could see on the board as I was driving, but as soon as I'm hitting the turn-off, I get a text message from my fiancee and all it says is "yay". I'm like, wtf?

Overall, I managed a .097 R/T with a 1.77 60' and the 1/4 mile pass is a 12.87 @ 104!

This, again, is in 90* temperature, nearly 25* hotter than the day I made my personal best 12.79 on the old setup. This is also at full weight, over 100lbs heavier than when I made my 12.79 pass. And I'm within less than 1/10 of a second!

This should give you a pretty good idea of just how much more cooling can be accomplished with CBRD's massive fmic, compensating for that kind of temp increase, and you get to look good while doing it too! lol. I am growing more and more impressed with the new CBRD gear every time I get in the car and really push it.

I managed a couple more passes before the day was out, but the temps would not drop and I got impatient seeing such good times that I wasn't allowing the car to cool down enough, so that 12.87 was my best et for the day. I did manage another personal best on my final pass, though, which was a 1.76 60' that I think I can improve on even further if I can get the temps down and safely hold the launch a bit longer.

For such minor changes, I really couldn't be happier at this point. I just can't wait for a better day, or maybe even a night, where I can get some cooler temps and I'm definitely going to get back out and push for some of the best times that have ever been seen on a Ralliart with the tiny stock snail.

Thanks again Devin and CBRD for plastering a smile on my face once again!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice results man, when you gonna put a real snail on there?

I gotta send chad my hotside to remove a broken screw extractor and the dilled out stud the extractor broke off in... lolz
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:14 AM

Nice #'s Chitown. Can't wait to see what you doo when its cooler out.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Nice results man, when you gonna put a real snail on there?

I gotta send chad my hotside to remove a broken screw extractor and the dilled out stud the extractor broke off in... lolz
Haha. Maybe once I hit 11's with the stocker I'll move on. It's going to take a lot of work and creativity, but it'll happen.

Cost-effective? Absolutely not, but I fully believe it's possible and I intend to prove it

Isn't that awful, when the tool designed to remove broken parts breaks off? I've had that happen to me a couple times, even with ridiculously expensive Matco extractors, and it pisses me off to no end. At least there's lifetime warranty, I guess.

Originally Posted by hanz17
Nice #'s Chitown. Can't wait to see what you doo when its cooler out.
You and me both bud
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Isn't that awful, when the tool designed to remove broken parts breaks off? I've had that happen to me a couple times, even with ridiculously expensive Matco extractors, and it pisses me off to no end. At least there's lifetime warranty, I guess.
Same thing happened to a co-worker with his Snap-On extractors. The lifetime warranty is the main reason why I stick with the more expensive tool companies.

BTW, nice results! Can't wait to put on my CBRD intercooler!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome results mate.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear your CBRD mods are working out so well for you, you really seem to have your car running very strong with the stock turbo.

Hopefully I will have my CBRD modified turbo installed in the next few days, and I hope I am as happy with it as you seem to be with your CBRD mods.!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two CBRD FMIC's here that we just built

let me know if you are interested

cb
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

I know it's been awhile, but another update on this setup:

Finally made it out to the track on a relatively nice day, much nicer than last time, actually, but still not ideal. Can't get everything you want, all at once, I guess.

Anyway, temps were hovering right around mid-upper 70's with much-less humidity, so it was about as good as can be expected until we get later in the season and closer to that nice crisp/dry fall weather. I had also found and fixed a slight boost-leak at one of my ic pipes (thank-god for wideband) a couple weeks prior and the car was running very happily. This time I also made sure I had the junk out of the trunk and I pulled the passenger and rear seats out as well; though I still had all of my accessories and everything else in-place while going down the track.

Very first pass of the day found me running a 12.711 @105.86 with only a 1.779 60ft time.

With a better launch (I've hit 1.68 before) and a clean run the car could definitely have ran a high 12.6xx, Still, this is nearly a tenth better than last-year's best pass with over 3/4 mph increase in trap as well; just from a FMIC, Velocity Stack, Boost Solenoid, and of-course a little bit of Devin's magic touch.

I just have to say, once again, that I knew there was a good deal of improvement made in this car with these few mods, and now I've finally been able to bring some proof to the table.

Temps this time out were still about 10-15* warmer than last year's run and humidity was higher than I would have liked, plus I have quite a few more pounds to lose on my fat girl, so there's still lots of room for a 12.6 or even 12.5 before the year is out. Remember I'm still running 93 pump gas for now, too, so e85 should show some decent improvement as well.

It would seem that my "unattainable" stock-turbo-11's goal is, albeit SLOWLY, becoming more and more realistic...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Another update: I made it out to the track again on Monday afternoon, 9/5, on the exact same setup. Still no changes to the car, just some better track conditions (finally!)

Ambient temps were holding in the upper 60's with little humidity and it was nice and sunny outside so the ground was at least holding some warmth. Also, we were coming off of an event weekend for the holiday so there was plenty of goodness left on the track.

Well, to shorten this as much as possible, I'll just get to the point: With a 1.74 60' time, the car ran a "record" 12.630 @ 105.50 on the stock turbo and pump gas tune.

There was one other car (Ralliart26) last year that ran a 12.63 but I don't know if it was stock turbo or stock X turbo (please chime in if you know the answer), so unless something else surfaces, I believe this makes me (at the very-least tied for) the quickest stock-turbo Ralliart.

This is also just another step closer to my "fairy-tale" 11 second stock-turbo pass. As the car currently sits I can tell it's got, at least, a 12.5x pass in there waiting to come out before the end of the season.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Sep 9, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:19 AM

Very impressive Chi-Town! I'd be happy with those numbers w/ an EVO turbo.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like your power at 3000rpm. One of the better daily driver powerbands I've seen in awhile....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 10Sportback
Very impressive Chi-Town! I'd be happy with those numbers w/ an EVO turbo.
Thanks. My final goal is 11's on stock turbo, and everyone says it either can't be done or it's gonna take a buttload of money to get there. I'm out to prove them all wrong and every time I get closer it helps renew my faith that I'll get there one day. I'm thinking the car has, at the very least, 12.5xx in it as it sits, so I hope to manage a pull like that before the end of the season and then start planning some big things for next year.

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I really like your power at 3000rpm. One of the better daily driver powerbands I've seen in awhile....
Yeah, same way I like my women... with a big ol' bottom end. It's actually a great multipurpose powerband, plenty of low end for daily use and fun on the autox course, but still enough up-top to compete in a straight line with most of the other street-legal cars on the road. Not to mention 35mpg hwy, can't beat that with a 10ft stick.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Not to mention 35mpg hwy, .
LOL!!! Maybe coasting downhill with a 40mph tailwind...

Quick Reply: My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11