Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11

Ok, so I figure I better start a thread now, since I'm sure there's going to be a lot to say here.

First off, let me say that I don't even have their product yet and I already feel like I should be praising them without question. Ever since Chad officially decided to take on the Ralliart platform, I've been in contact with a billion-and-one questions via private message on top of the regular posting done in each of the threads, and not for one second have I ever felt ignored or unwelcome or like I was just one of the many people that he had to deal with on a daily basis (even though I'm sure I've been a bit frustrating on more than one occasion).

So after all the back and forth between Chad and myself, I decided to keep what I've got into the car, for the most part, and just upgrade what wasn't already as functionally optimal as possible while still retaining the original stock turbocharger (for now). Since I already have a pretty-much full bolt-on car, the decision was to try to get the most of what I've already done, so this meant the CBRD RA specific FMIC and Intake. Since I already have the EvoX stock intercooler installed, the piping I have will fit without issue. Also since my I/C pipes are already the same diameter as the CBRD pieces, with minimal difference in bends and restrictions, I felt that changing out at this time would be a bit unnecessary but may be worthwhile at a later date if some sort of data or fitment concern will prove it beneficial.

Now that my order had been placed and my money had been spent, the more-common and less-desirable result is usually that contact is minimized and focus is moved to the next customer in line to push the next sale. This was absolutely NOT the case with CBRD. I have been notified of any changes, developments, and updates involved with my order; and when I receive such a notice and respond with follow-up questions, I have always received prompt replies in regards to my concerns.

Example: I was notified of a shortage in an integral part needed to complete my order early-morning the day after my order and, no worries that the part was unavailable as I realize this sort of thing can happen in any field of production, I was simply amazed that they were already pushing to have it out the very next day for me. Since the parts are made on an as-needed basis I figured it'd at least be a few days to a week before I heard back on when it would be shipping out, but this was incredible. I then received two more contacts from CBRD, that same day, in regards to notification that they were going to separate my order so that they could at least have one part shipped to me immediately and then another e-mail saying they had a confirmed completion time from fabrication for first-thing the next morning on the part they were waiting on, so it would be produced and shipped the very next day.

At this point, I am realizing that I definitely could not have made a better choice than going with CBRD for my upgrade needs from here-on. I don't even have the product yet and already feeling like I have been completely satisfied with my CBRD experience based solely on customer service alone.

I will be updating the thread once the parts arrive and will do comparative reviews on the parts vs. what I already have on the car including dyno data showing quantifyable proof of what their product can really do with plenty of pictures along the way. I really look forward to pushing for the stock-turbo Ralliart 1/4 mile record and think that with CBRD it is definitely an attainable goal.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Pretty much that.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CBRD development seems promising for sure

I'd just like to see some official announcement and dyno numbers! I have yet to even see their intake or exhaust. I'm sure they're high quality products, but I still need to be sold on it before I buy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks so much guys!

I will be posting turbocharger data shortly!

We do our best, nice to see that is noticed. When you make contact with CBRD- I am the ONLY person you will ever talk to unless a car is on the lift and one of our tech's has a question for you, or a concern that needs to be addressed.

The workload of tuning, running the business and working with each individual client is a hefty one, but I do my best..

Cheers

cb
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chad does have a tendency to poop in the boxes before he sends them out. You have been warned.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Talk about paying it forward and karma working in your favor. I post this thread up this morning and look what arrives on my doorstep:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00029.jpg

It's like unwrapping Christmas presents all over again:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00030.jpg

Notice the CBRD livery included in the packaging that will add to the stickered monstrosity that is my car. The sticker vinyl is pretty much standard fare, but the badge is really a thing of beauty (if you're into that sort of thing):

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00042.jpg

Intake:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00032.jpg

Intercooler:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00034.jpg

They didn't even deliver mail today because of President's Day, but there was UPS a-knockin' at my door with not just one but both parts.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

As for the intake, for those asking, it's basically just a MAF adapter tube, but with one HUGE difference:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00039.jpg

To get a better idea of how big this bellmouth actually is:

My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11-snc00040.jpg

Now for a lot of people who are not looking to squeeze out every last little bit of their potential, I think the EvoX MAF tube mod in the how-to section will suffice, but if you're anything like me and want a very cost-effective way to get the most from your car, this looks like the way to go without going for a full cold-air setup or complete swap with battery relocate like the AMS style. I'm sure this will net a gain over my current setup and am looking forward to the actual results to be shown on the dyno.

I also heard that CBRD has been in contact with Perrin to create an inlet tube to go along with their shorty intake so that will probably be added to my build as soon as I can get my hands on one (Chad, that's your queue)

As soon as I get these installed and get some more pics and dyno results I'll be sure to post up some more.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:12 PM

Very Nice. Look like somebody got the X'mas present early!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CBRD's shop is very close to where I live, so I'm planning on heading up there this Saturday morning to meet with Chad and lay eyes on some of this stuff in person and discuss what would be the best route to take with doing some more mods to my car. I'll let you guys know about my experience after I get back home from CBRD on Saturday!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

An inlet tube?!?! God's be praised, I've been waiting for an RA specific turbo inlet tube
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good let us know how it goes.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Based upon the threads that I have been reading lately, CBRD seems very reputable and knowledgeable. Plus, they are in my neck of the woods (...somewhat...).
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Sub'd!

It's really nice to hear about the dedication of a company towards customer service and making the best affordable/reliable parts that will give you the WHP/WTQ you want!

Chad is the best at what he does
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

alright guys, project is momentarily on-hold until someone can help me out:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ting-stud.html
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

So what you are saying is that the CBRD Ralliart Specific FMIC does not come with mounting studs on both sides of the FMIC so that it can be mounted directly to our cars?

So it seems that this FMIC requires a screw in mounting stud be taken from an existing Mitsu OEM FMIC?

Now this is disapointing news, but might explain why it may be that on the NFS Lancer thread to mount the CBRD FMIC Spec Ops was shown welding a mount. That would also explain the somewhat criptic reply to my question as to why a local fabrication of a mount was required...

I know you shared a picture of the CBRD FMIC wrapped in packing when it was received, but would you mind please sharing a picture of the actual FMIC so we can see just what it looks like? Thx

Last edited by RideSober; Feb 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: My CBRD Experience - Record Pass - Updated 9/9/11