Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ultimate Racing Catback Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Racing Catback Question

Looking into a UR catback. Quick questions for all the owners of the UR dual exit catback exhaust:

1) How loud is the idle? Will my neighbors 50ft away be woken when I come in at 2am?

2) Does it drone on the highway? Will I be able to talk to passengers alright? Will the resonator fix the drone, if any?

3) Overall, what I am looking for is an exhaust that has an aggressive start-up, a non-obnoxious idle, little drone, and sounds very aggressive under high throttle. Does UR fit the bill?

I ask these questions because a neighbor on my street 2 houses away has a gtr r34 with what I think is a turboback with a test pipe. Its extremely loud; I can hear it idle from the far corner of my house and I can't imagine what it would be like living next to him.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Oh its very loud. Loud enough to set off car alarms just from driving by. If you want to kill the drone and loudness other than getting a mini muffler add on, upgrade your fmic and intercooler piping. It'll still be noticeably loud, but decreased by 25%

However, I got the full turbo back from UR and people in the back seat couldn't hear a word I said to them. The mini muffler doesn't help tone down outside tone as much as it helps inside tone.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Loud!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Check out the magnaflow exhaust video clips on their website. Sounds nice and aggressive at idle and take off.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:46 PM

I have a turboback with the resonator on it and it is super loud. You can hear me coming from miles away, if you are sitting in the back seat you can't hear anything. It is even loud at idle, however that being said I love the way it sounds. Apparently if you go with both the resonator and mini muffler it is significantly quieter.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a better question

Can I make it quiet when I need to?

For instance if I am going to a funeral, will I look like an idiot?

Can I sneak into the corporate parking lot late for work?

Last edited by crankIT; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: bad punctuation
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ lol
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike244
I have a turboback with the resonator on it and it is super loud. You can hear me coming from miles away, if you are sitting in the back seat you can't hear anything. It is even loud at idle, however that being said I love the way it sounds. Apparently if you go with both the resonator and mini muffler it is significantly quieter.

I have just the mini muffler add on and its no where near this loud. I can talk to people just fine and there is no drone. I just went on a 10 hour road trip with no issue. With the radio at a reasonable volume I couldnt even hear the exhaust.

Most of the people who post that the exhaust is very loud have either never heard it with the mini muffler (or more), only heard it on video, or are just posting what other people have said.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaJackson
I have just the mini muffler add on and its no where near this loud. I can talk to people just fine and there is no drone. I just went on a 10 hour road trip with no issue. With the radio at a reasonable volume I couldnt even hear the exhaust.

Most of the people who post that the exhaust is very loud have either never heard it with the mini muffler (or more), only heard it on video, or are just posting what other people have said.
thanks, so it sounds like I should be alright as long as i get the mini muffler or both the minimuffler and resonator. Could you give me an idea of how loud it is by telling me what volume setting you have to have your stereo at to mask the sound?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crankIT
Here's a better question

Can I make it quiet when I need to?

For instance if I am going to a funeral, will I look like an idiot?

Can I sneak into the corporate parking lot late for work?

My only suggestion is to manual shift at low rpms. Never let it go over 2-3 thousand rpms. Once you get up to about 20-30 mph you can quickly manually shift to gear 6 to lower the tone quickly.

Last edited by Krisko; Mar 19, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Krisko
My only suggestion is to manual shift at low rpms. Never let it go over 2-3 thousand rpms. Once you get up to about 20-30 mph you can quickly manually shift to gear 6 to lower the tone quickly.
Thanks, hopefully this wont bog. After some more research today, I have pretty much decided I will be going with the dual exit catback with mini muffler sometime in the future. I heard you need atleast the resonator to negate the highway drone that some UR owners have, so Id rather be on the safe side.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, hopefully this wont bog. After some more research today, I have pretty much decided I will be going with the dual exit catback with mini muffler sometime in the future. I heard you need atleast the resonator to negate the highway drone that some UR owners have, so Id rather be on the safe side.
Good choice. I don't know why most people go single exhaust on a car visually built for dual. Just looks weird to me, almost like charger sxt's that have a rear bumper built for dual yet its single :/

Again, upgrading your intercooler pipes and fmic will tone it down too. The uicp MUST be aftermarket, while the licp is fine evo x oem. The evo x oem fmic is good for the first 450whp, so that alone will save you lots of money from going aftermarket. The evo x oem fmic is more than plenty for the turbo, so an aftermarket fmic is a waste of money. Just an fyi.

Back on topic, the reason the uicp must be aftermarket is because the oem ones are rubber and stretchy, so there's a huge loss in power. Try to go for one or two piece uicp.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

thanks, so it sounds like I should be alright as long as i get the mini muffler or both the minimuffler and resonator. Could you give me an idea of how loud it is by telling me what volume setting you have to have your stereo at to mask the sound?
At speed or under acceleration? I normally keep it in the high teens when cruising by myself and When I get on it I can hear the exhaust but it doesn't overpower the radio. I also rarely let it get above 3500-4000 rpm under normal driving.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:21 AM

If u live in a snow climate area don't buy it. They rust. After one year (Incl. A winter season) I threw my Cat-back exhaust away. The bolts rust, the welds rust. UR exhausts are junk.
Siyah
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have the CB UR exhaust. At certain speeds the droning on the highway sucks. BUT overall i love having it. Peoples head turns, people love it. A

As for the back seat....well we all know im in the drivers seat! haha

DO NOT get the exhaust without the resonator. Think about the mini muffler as well.

You will love it.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Catback Question