Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

nyc exhaust ticket Q

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitRA
I don't think his post was about trying to get the cop to prove anything. I took it as being nice (read: not a douche) to the officer, and politely asking for an explanation about the limits of the noise pollution law. And, being genuinely interested in what he/she has to saw about it (acting skills).

It's a chance for you to establish rapport with the officer, engage in a conversation, show him/her that you're not a douchebag and are actually an upstanding citizen. Like Chi said, a lot of the time they're more inclined to just give you a verbal warning afterwards instead of a ticket.
See the problem is, he has already stopped you for this(not speeding or something else), you have already pissed him off, you are not going to get out of this ticket, and he is going to act like a dick. So you may attempt as much rapport as u like but ur still getting that ticket. Besides that its his job to screw u, he gets paid to make your day worse.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow are you misguided. I'm sorry you've had such bad experience with the police, but most are not like that at all. I'm not trying to make assumptions, but based on everything you've said and your mannerisms about it, it just seems like you are already set on the idea that "the man is just tryin' to keep you down" and your "rebel without a cause" attitude is not to be interfered with on any level, especially with the conflicting views of a public servant.

It also sucks that where you're at the cops don't have to prove you've done anything wrong before ruining your day. Unless its totally illegal, police here aren't supposed to write you for anything that may be subjective, ie. "too loud" or "too dark". A decibel meter is required for an exhaust ticket, a tint meter is required for that sort of ticket, a radar gun is required for a speeding ticket, etc, etc, etc...

Also, don't think that because I live in the suburbs means I haven't had to deal with the Chicago city police either. Yes, they have a tendency to be a lot more "hard-nosed" about things, but they are still human.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:40 PM

i got one of these also.. 186 dollars no questions asked...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Uuumm i work for the police lol!

Also like i was saying, he does not have to carry the equipment only refer you to an inspection agency to make sure it is legal. Thats why he gave him a summons(basically in laymen terms a ticket ). All states are going to vary in how they handle things but it all is going to come down to the same basic idea.

And yes they loooooove writing you tickets, its there job and they love every moment of you crying about how ridiculousely high that ticket is. I here it all the time, from the coppas themselves! lol

Last edited by AntiBlitz; Apr 1, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Right, he can write a referral to inspection, but not an actual ticket that demands a fine be paid at that moment.

I wasn't trying to say the officer has to prove that there is a violation at the time of the stop, just a miscommunication through a difference in terminology I think.

And cops here hate writing tickets because of the paperwork they need to do along with them. Unless they're being pressured from the higher-ups to generate some more revenue for the month, lol. Being on the fire dept. side of the fence, we spend some time with the cops too...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Chi-town, im a firefighter as well lol, I volunteer. But besides the point yes no FINE should be issued on site, that im aware of anyways. Ive never seen that, but a summons to fix it or get screwed i have seen plenty of. They will suspend your dang tags if u dont fix that(could vary with state). Most state highway or state police agencies have a quota that must be filled, even tho they tell the public there isnt such a thing, There is. And not really alot of paperwork with a traffic citation, more paperwork will come of something like dui/dwi stuff, in which expect them to be doing paperwork for atleast a few hours. Also anything criminal takes a while as well, ive seen our guys back there for hours doing reports for domestic related stuff or stolen property.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
Chi-town, im a firefighter as well lol, I volunteer. But besides the point yes no FINE should be issued on site, that im aware of anyways. Ive never seen that, but a summons to fix it or get screwed i have seen plenty of. They will suspend your dang tags if u dont fix that(could vary with state). Most state highway or state police agencies have a quota that must be filled, even tho they tell the public there isnt such a thing, There is. And not really alot of paperwork with a traffic citation, more paperwork will come of something like dui/dwi stuff, in which expect them to be doing paperwork for atleast a few hours. Also anything criminal takes a while as well, ive seen our guys back there for hours doing reports for domestic related stuff or stolen property.
I guess I'm lucky living in Texas since I have never had an issue with the police with any of my vehicles and one of them has dumps and while sitting next to a cop at a light and I know his mirrors were rattling and he waved and smiled since he knew if he tried to talk to me I would have to shut off the car to hold a conversation. I know we have noise pollution laws since they love pulling guys over with stereo systems.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got pulled over a few years ago BY THE SAME COP 6 months apart for my AMS exhaust.... each time he wrote on the ticket "Excessive engine and exhaust noise"
and lectured me on how "I need to be respectful to the neighbors, and not disturb the peace"

I mean come on? This is NYC, a cramped and congested city of 8-9 million people. I'm pretty sure its gonna be noisy all the time.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Krisko
UR exhausts are crazy loud. Well atleast mine is, I have the mini muffler option and I STILL set off car alarms daily in parking lots. After a test someone did here in dallas they stated the only different between the non-mini or mini muffler option is the drone inside the car will be less, but the outside tone will be the same for both.

When I put my evo x fmic/licp and nesei uicp on the tone of my exhaust went down alot. But I somehow still set off car alarms, just not as much.

WOW!!! Car alarms??? AWESOME!!!
I think I'm gonna find my self in a lot of trouble....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:01 AM

NYS Law for exhaust...

Section 375. Equipment.

Subsection 31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise.

Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

darn...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Usually, though, it's not the state that gets you for loud exhaust, though unless there's more literature involved that you're not posting up, it looks like you have absolutely no freedom to modify whatsoever within the state of NY. That sucks!

If there is more involved that is just being overlooked or oversimplified, then it's likely going to fall to the municipalities to have their own specified decibel limit that they adhere to in regards to noise pollution, whether it be automotive or otherwise. They're the ones who are gonna getcha! lol.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
Im running hfc and dp as well. Spider21 is right though. I, too, have heard some insane exhaust in texas yet they'd rather pull over the guy next to you blasting lil wayne from his speakers. I had this issue when I use to drive the eclipse 08 with the rockford fosgate.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
I have the same problem..

I used to have a axleback twin tip 4 in UR exhaust, but last weekend I finished up the full exhaust and put in a midpipe and test pipe, and it has gotten SO much louder..

I set off car alarms like in a chain in parking lots... Now about parking garages, don't even get me started on those
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djeuro
I have the same problem..

I used to have a axleback twin tip 4 in UR exhaust, but last weekend I finished up the full exhaust and put in a midpipe and test pipe, and it has gotten SO much louder..

I set off car alarms like in a chain in parking lots... Now about parking garages, don't even get me started on those

Only thing I can recommend is an evo x fmic. It toned mine down to the point where I only set off extremely sensitive alarms, but only half the time. When your around cops or parking lots, I suggest you manual shift at low rpms
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Krisko
Only thing I can recommend is an evo x fmic. It toned mine down to the point where I only set off extremely sensitive alarms, but only half the time. When your around cops or parking lots, I suggest you manual shift at low rpms
i do have a evo x fmic.. its still hella loud..

thats exactly what i do is manually shift if i pass any

Quick Reply: nyc exhaust ticket Q