Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

nyc exhaust ticket Q

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyc exhaust ticket Q

alright.. so some ******** cop decides he's having a bad day and pulls me over.. asks me to rev the car.. i do so.. bam summons for loud exhaust.. (cp-e catback which isn't even that loud).. now he told me i could get it fixed and the ticket will be thrown away but i was told that all you really need is the receipt. anyone been thru this with ideas? thanks~~
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Dude this 4g Phone era now get and app ask what the db. law is and test that **** in front of him.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:19 PM

yea i wonder where i can find the db ratings for va
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nyczlegacy
now he told me i could get it fixed
What does he mean by "fixed"??? The only ways to reduce sound are use a silencer, add a resonator, or put the stock exhaust back on.....
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's probably what he means by getting it fixed. Either add a resonator or go back to stock. A hundred other days and you probably wouldn't be stopped just your unlucky day. Sucks that happened!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Someone in the X forum side went thru this as well. What does your ticket say? Do you have to see a state inspector or any certified law enforcement agency(normally State Police)? Makes a big difference and i can kind of give you a better direction as to how to resolve this.

And just so we are clear it doesnt matter what your opinion is on the matter, its the cops opinion, if he deems your exhaust to loud then he can slap u with a repair order, and tell you to get it checked. Normally it will have to be checked by a state inspection place, or a certified law enforcement agency who is capable of doing it. The only proof you will have that your car is not that loud is to have this done and show it the next time you are stopped. Just sucks that you have to go thru all of this.

You will prolly just have to end up biting the bullet and putting just the catback back on so that it softens the tone of it and lowers your decibals, go get it checked out, get your paperwork, shove that lil guy in your glove box and never remove it. Finally reinstall your exhaust. Problem solved Blitz is a ******* miracle worker!!!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:56 PM

alright.. so some ******** cop decides he's having a bad day and pulls me over.. asks me to rev the car.. i do so.. bam summons for loud exhaust.. (cp-e catback which isn't even that loud).. now he told me i could get it fixed and the ticket will be thrown away but i was told that all you really need is the receipt. anyone been thru this with ideas? thanks~~

How much is the ticket? You can pm if u prefer, just wondering. I'm getting a UR TBE put on next week and, well... suffolk cops are big *****. I was thinking it may be easier to just pay it if it isn't too bad but for us New Yorkers tickets are mad crazy expensive...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I def would have asked him to pull a meter and further explain the extent and limits of the noise pollution laws so that you'd have a better understanding of how to prevent this from happening again. Politely, of course.

It's not just the cops job to write tickets, but to explain exactly why they are writing the ticket, and if you show genuine interest and aren't a douchbag when talking with the officer, a lot of the time they're more likely to let you go with a warning
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
How much is the ticket? You can pm if u prefer, just wondering. I'm getting a UR TBE put on next week and, well... suffolk cops are big *****. I was thinking it may be easier to just pay it if it isn't too bad but for us New Yorkers tickets are mad crazy expensive...

UR exhausts are crazy loud. Well atleast mine is, I have the mini muffler option and I STILL set off car alarms daily in parking lots. After a test someone did here in dallas they stated the only different between the non-mini or mini muffler option is the drone inside the car will be less, but the outside tone will be the same for both.

When I put my evo x fmic/licp and nesei uicp on the tone of my exhaust went down alot. But I somehow still set off car alarms, just not as much.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just mail in a receipt that it was changed in 24 hours with the mechanics NYS stamp of inspection and your good to go.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
I def would have asked him to pull a meter and further explain the extent and limits of the noise pollution laws so that you'd have a better understanding of how to prevent this from happening again. Politely, of course.

It's not just the cops job to write tickets, but to explain exactly why they are writing the ticket, and if you show genuine interest and aren't a douchbag when talking with the officer, a lot of the time they're more likely to let you go with a warning

See unfortunately chi-town, the cop doesn't have to prove anything, he can just assume in this case! Thats the thing, if he assumes or thinks its to loud, he can write u for this. Normally there is no fine associated with this, its just a repair order type deal. Its like a tint violation, if he assumes they look to dark, he can write u for that.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think his post was about trying to get the cop to prove anything. I took it as being nice (read: not a douche) to the officer, and politely asking for an explanation about the limits of the noise pollution law. And, being genuinely interested in what he/she has to saw about it (acting skills).

It's a chance for you to establish rapport with the officer, engage in a conversation, show him/her that you're not a douchebag and are actually an upstanding citizen. Like Chi said, a lot of the time they're more inclined to just give you a verbal warning afterwards instead of a ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

well he was being a dick but i had to control myself or who knows what other kind of **** he'd pull out of his ***.. anyway.. i'm gonna get a "receipt" saying it's "fixed" and bring it in on the court date.. *** the police.. also i dont see how much the ticket is just not guilty/guilty summons
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm gonna get a "receipt" saying it's "fixed" and bring it in on the court date.. *** the police..
I've dealt with an exhaust ticket in WI and an officer had to sign off after inspecting the exhaust. Not sure what you'll need to do or prove in NY. We didn't take it to court though, because it was freakin' loud and we knew it.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

When I got a fix it ticket in my integra, I shoved some steel wool in the muffler only long enough to pass inspection, I passed, then took the steel wool out. Its not recommended to drive with it for long but just for the test it should be fine and you should pass.

Quick Reply: nyc exhaust ticket Q