Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

4b11t cranks but doesn't start right away

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4b11t cranks but doesn't start right away

I searched but didn't find similar posts.
Car turns over fine. Remote key working fine. Full power (12v). Takes 4-5 tries and giving it about 50% throttle before it sputters to life. Did this 2 times now. Once yesterday, then again today.

She only has 11300 miles. Bone stock. Not raced, babied. It's nearly 75' out (not cold).

Anyone else have similar issues? Don't feel like driving 120 miles to and from the dealer.

Thanks!
Joe
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

take it in the shop and have mitsu repair whatever needs to be replaced
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had the same problem, its very random for me tho and hasnt happened recently
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I had this happen alot during the winter, but since its warmed up, she cranks on the first try everytime.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

I think it's been discussed but described differently. If it's the same problem as we seen in the past, just leave some time for the fuel pump to build pressure. That means put your key to ON and wait a few seconds before trying to start the engine.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the fuel pump relay issue, to me. Do you have the new blue relay, or the previous version green relay? Or is it black?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toredefine
Sounds like the fuel pump relay issue, to me. Do you have the new blue relay, or the previous version green relay? Or is it black?
i have the same problem and i have Blue, i wonder if he does also cause a may be another problem
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Had this problem too but it's so random I can't get it to do it again...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have this problem occasionally and I already changed to the blue relays.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:14 PM

Mine did it today.
Took 3 times to get it started. 75 degrees out. So Cali.

It gets fuel, almost like the ignition is not firing all the way. Anyhow, it is so random, almost point less to take to the dealership. They will say nothing is wrong with it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:28 AM

I've had this happen a handful of times over the 15 months I've had my car.

Happened today in fact, but that was expected due to cold weather. I've learned/accepted it's a common thing. Prior to this I had taken it to the dealership, where they couldn't duplicate it and after bringing it up a second time I was told it was misfiring.

Like one of the members above suggests, make it habit to always turn the key ON, count a couple seconds and then start your baby up.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:31 AM

It happens to pretty much all Ralliart owners. Happens to me specifically when the weather changes dramatically. For example, if i leave for work at say, 9am and its cold and rainy and then I head home at 6pm and the weather warms up a bit and the air gets a bit dry, I know I will have issues starting her up.

Its not an issue, the manual states that this can happen in different weather conditions. Just need to give the ECU time to adjust for different weather factors. The manual states to let the car sit in the ON position for a couple of seconds, and then crank while pumping the gas pedal. Works like a charm it just takes about 15 or so seconds.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1, happened to me during a major outside temp change, did what lookmanohands did and it started fine.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

there is a few recalls on the ss fuel lings on top of the engine and there is a TBS for the relays... there like 3 relays that need to be replaces....

if you havent done both it will have the same problem
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
Its not an issue, the manual states that this can happen in different weather conditions. Just need to give the ECU time to adjust for different weather factors. The manual states to let the car sit in the ON position for a couple of seconds, and then crank while pumping the gas pedal. Works like a charm it just takes about 15 or so seconds.
So many "quirks" with this car are answered in the manual, like the flashing R when you shift it into reverse and it won't go

I think people get too used to mass-market cars that are just drive and go. I knew this would be a quirky tech-heavy car so I made sure to read that bible of a manual...