Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Projectors for RA

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projectors for RA

Guys,

I would like to replace my stock non-projector headlights with ones with projector. I called and asked a local Mitsu dealer and they told me that the wiring is different between a car that has non-projector headlights vs projector headlights.

So, I started looking online and found this:

http://www.k2motor.com/4lhp-evo08jm-8y-sd.html

I like it for the most part, but not the LED strip at the bottom. In any case, the price tag, in my opinion is a bit high too. If I were to purchase the projector headlights from the mitsu dealer, can the wiring be modified somehow to work with those?
Old May 2, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I think the wiring is the same 100% but you will need the ballasts, bulbs, and housings. I've been looking for options myself. I think the best bet is to keep an eye out for part outs. You'll probably end up getting them one at a time.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know these ones work for the lancer, check them out, http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5828114138
Can see forum posting on guy putting them in his lancer, http://******************/index.php?showtopic=12412
Not sure how the wiring would work, I assume the smart light correction would not work, but with normal ballast it should work.
Old May 3, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

hey whats up man, i just did the swap on my 09 ralliart, please reffer to this thread and the you tube video below.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-oem-hid.html

and the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l14008aXBI
Old May 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jake26
hey whats up man, i just did the swap on my 09 ralliart, please reffer to this thread and the you tube video below.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-oem-hid.html

and the video
totally awesome man. I hope that works for an RA too. The funny thing is earlier this week I called 3 local mitsu dealerships asking them if I can install projectors in a non-projector car. All of them told me the same thing that the wattage is too low for the projectors.
Old May 4, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by komilp13
totally awesome man. I hope that works for an RA too. The funny thing is earlier this week I called 3 local mitsu dealerships asking them if I can install projectors in a non-projector car. All of them told me the same thing that the wattage is too low for the projectors.
That's because they are too dense to realize that most all cars are fully pre wired for all options these days.
Old May 4, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

yeah it weill work for a ralliart or any lancer as long as its 09+ and with those 2 connectors
Old May 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
That's because they are too dense to realize that most all cars are fully pre wired for all options these days.
Oh really? hmmm

because I KNOW that Halogen Lancer's use 35W, Projectors 55W. I've heard a few bad stories how guys retrofitted 55W HID bulbs and fried their wiring. I always assumed it was because the wiring was only designed to handle 35W.

I don't want to even think of the labor cost to have all the fried wiring replaced if it happens, but I'm getting dis-satisfied with my wimpy 35W retrofit
Old May 5, 2011, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
Oh really? hmmm

because I KNOW that Halogen Lancer's use 35W, Projectors 55W. I've heard a few bad stories how guys retrofitted 55W HID bulbs and fried their wiring. I always assumed it was because the wiring was only designed to handle 35W.

I don't want to even think of the labor cost to have all the fried wiring replaced if it happens, but I'm getting dis-satisfied with my wimpy 35W retrofit

I thought our HIDS's were 35watt and the halogen's were 55.... isn't that why some of the guys with HID's from the factory swap out to a 55watt aftermarket ballast and bulb kit?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by komilp13
That's why the forums are great. Did you call our dealership too?

One of the biggest problems is talking with parts personnel who only know how to look things up with a vin number and can go no further than that and have absolutely ZERO service experience. Our guys sometimes tend to have exactly that problem, lol, though they usually will come back and ask me personally when it comes to this sort of thing.

The wiring is the same. If you remove the driver's side knee panel, you'll even see the pre-wired connector for the HID level adjuster inserted into one of the button blanks.

All you need to do to get it all functioning is to swap complete assemblies into the car as mentioned before (housings/bulbs/ballasts/leveler if so desired) and then we can go in to the ETACS, which is basically a BCM+, and enable all of the HID operating functions so the car will recognize and behave properly.
Old May 5, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
That's why the forums are great. Did you call our dealership too?

One of the biggest problems is talking with parts personnel who only know how to look things up with a vin number and can go no further than that and have absolutely ZERO service experience. Our guys sometimes tend to have exactly that problem, lol, though they usually will come back and ask me personally when it comes to this sort of thing.

The wiring is the same. If you remove the driver's side knee panel, you'll even see the pre-wired connector for the HID level adjuster inserted into one of the button blanks.

All you need to do to get it all functioning is to swap complete assemblies into the car as mentioned before (housings/bulbs/ballasts/leveler if so desired) and then we can go in to the ETACS, which is basically a BCM+, and enable all of the HID operating functions so the car will recognize and behave properly.
would these work?

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...erhalokit.aspx
Old May 6, 2011, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newmitsuowner
that's just a halo kit, has nothing to do with HID projectors. Your not going to find a cheap proper solution as it does not exist. Least expensive route is to buy the housings and projectors off a wrecked car then buy the ballast and bulbs from ddm or somewhere, assuming the used housings did not come with ballast and bulb.

Last edited by Mad_SB; May 6, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 6, 2011, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. Also, as evidenced in the movie, you really don't need to program the car, but you need to watch out for the drl function interfering with the ballast operation. You can just buy a drl bypass kit from jrox or the like, and then your fogs will still function as fogs.

Otherwise, if you wanted to be legit and have the fogs function as drls, if you live in an area that requires them or some such thing, then the computer can be programmed to accommodate that and make your fogs your drls, just like OEM configuration.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

In this other thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-oem-hid.html), they used EVO X projectors on a Lancer. I am assuming that since the wiring is projector-ready in all lancer models, if we can get our hands on a RA or regular Lancer projectors, it should still work. What are your thoughts?
Old May 6, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
that's just a halo kit, has nothing to do with HID projectors. Your not going to find a cheap proper solution as it does not exist. Least expensive route is to buy the housings and projectors off a wrecked car then buy the ballast and bulbs from ddm or somewhere, assuming the used housings did not come with ballast and bulb.
but i could use that without any issues right? dont really need projectors

Quick Reply: Projectors for RA