Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo 8 to RA....Regrets???

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 to RA....Regrets???

I'm selling my lightly modded Evo 8, and wanted to get a few opinions. Has anyone gone from an Evo 8 to an RA and did you have regrets? I am gonna get the Sportback since I need the extra room. Input would be helpful.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i feel like u'll regret it.. why dont u just pick up like an 03 wrx wagon in addition instead?
Old May 3, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just starting to look for something different to tinker with. I have done some work on WRX's and hate them. So I'm gonna stay in the mitsu fam.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I went from an Evo IX RS to the Ralliart and i have 0 regrets. I think I went to over the top with my IX and it just wasn't fun to drive on the street anymore.
The Ralliart is such a fun Daily Driver and with a few suspension and brake upgrades it handles amazing!
Old May 3, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Not to mention my lightly modded ra is beating lightly modded 8s.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Cool guys, thanks for your input. Looks like I'm making a good choice.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my IX so far... I would never downgrade. I have a truck for the boring stuff.
Old May 3, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I love my IX so far... I would never downgrade. I have a truck for the boring stuff.
I need something bigger due a baby on the way and I also have dogs, with no plans to get rid of either and my wife having an 09 Lancer GTS we are paying on. Love my 8, but I've always wanted to build a wagon and this is close.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bhood1
I need something bigger due a baby on the way and I also have dogs, with no plans to get rid of either and my wife having an 09 Lancer GTS we are paying on. Love my 8, but I've always wanted to build a wagon and this is close.
I used to daily drive a Cobra, through rain and snow.

This 4 door Evo, *is* the practical family car. I can't see the point of going any further in that direction personally.

AWD for all weather safety, no problems with snow or rain since you don't need drag radials to put power down. Better mileage than my Cobra, and better crash safety. Believe it or not the Evo handles bumps better without a solid rear end. It has a much better turning radius than the Cobra too. In every way it's more practical already than any sports coupe I've owned.

You already *have* the practical family car in my opinion. The other lancer doesn't have folding seats to haul long things? You need a new car just to haul dogs? Seat covers are cheaper or simply buying used lancer seats and taking out the nice Evo rear seat.

Sounds more like you want a different car. Nothing wrong with that....but you aren't getting much more practical by moving to a wagon that still gets horrid fuel economy. The Evo is still a real sports car that can haul things here and there. You want to switch to a vehicle that isn't as sporty, and still won't be amazing at hauling things, while getting similar mileage and a new car payment.

Keep the Evo bro

Last edited by acidtonic; May 4, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Acidtonic has it right.

Besides, when you have the kid and realize you want to take a stroller and beach toys and all the accoutrements, you'll give up on sport and buy a van if you're smart.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Believe it or not the Evo handles bumps better without a solid rear end. It has a much better turning radius than the Cobra too. In every way it's more practical already than any sports coupe I've owned.

Keep the Evo bro
Dude while I agree somewhat with much of what you say, solid axle SUCKS. Most Mustangs suck at handling, though there are a couple of special models in recent years that are exceptions to this rule (Cobra R, Boss & Laguna Seca Ed). Mustangs have solid axle to they can drag race. I don't consider them sports coupes at all, more like musclecars.

That considered, you can make a Ralliart Sportback wicked quick. Check out this car: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sportback.html

The handling won't be there stock compared to an Evo, though. Powerwise, it has more horsepower potential for less money than a freaking Subaru, though. Don't go to Subie.

Good luck.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Dude while I agree somewhat with much of what you say, solid axle SUCKS. Most Mustangs suck at handling, though there are a couple of special models in recent years that are exceptions to this rule (Cobra R, Boss & Laguna Seca Ed). Mustangs have solid axle to they can drag race. I don't consider them sports coupes at all, more like musclecars.
The solid rear on a fully smooth prepped track surface is better than IRS. Especially if you go the extra distance and get a cambered solid rear.

In the real world, that's not the case with these things called bumps which totally upset the rear end.

I basically agree about the differences of muscle cars to sports cars. I was just saying that to me, after driving the mustang, the Evo isn't nearly as hardcore as you guys make it out to be.

I gutted my cobra completely, all the way down to 2700lbs. Ran 12.68 on the stock motor, no mods except weightloss and suspension. So I know all about tin cans and rattle traps. I daily drove it without AC, door panels, a center console, rear seats, radio, or trunk lining. When I got pulled over, the cop thought it was a theft recovery. I won't do that to the Evo because it can make power without an engine rebuild. Cobra was looking at 450wheel max before rebuild plus 4K+ for a blower.

The Evo is as civilized as I could ever want. Maybe I'm more extreme, but I doubt it.

Last edited by acidtonic; May 4, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Did you buy your Evo new? 2003... seems you keep your cars for a long time. That might be another thing in the RA...

Maintaining this car isn't cheap, as you know. What scares me is owing the car outside of warranty, which i have a feeling you will since your Evo is older. The SST tranny is expensive to replace, and isn't serviceable. 6-7k for a new unit may be in your future.

Other then that... its a great machine and is worth every penny. I've driven one 3 times and the SST is awesome, though limited on performance if that's your goal.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a kid and 2 dogs, trust me u can make it work, I could fit our big a$$ graco stroller, big duffel bags for me and wife, mini suit case for baby, and other crap all with a relocated battery (wife was about to murder me when she saw it) all for a 3 hour drive. I also got a yakima roof rack for added family car value and storage
Old May 4, 2011, 07:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The solid rear on a fully smooth prepped track surface is better than IRS. Especially if you go the extra distance and get a cambered solid rear.
Only on a Mustang which was not designed for IRS in the first place. Look at all the fastest production cars in the world on a racetrack, and you'll see they are all IRS on purpose. My point was that only Mustang guys go with a solid axle because those cars are actually faster solid axle, but no true blue handling car should ever have a solid axle stock. I am mainly referring to your earlier comment about how an Evo handles well even with IRS. In stark contrast to a Mustang, an Evo would handle awfully and take a massive performance loss with a solid rear axle.

In the real world, that's not the case with these things called bumps which totally upset the rear end.

I basically agree about the differences of muscle cars to sports cars. I was just saying that to me, after driving the mustang, the Evo isn't nearly as hardcore as you guys make it out to be.

I gutted my cobra completely, all the way down to 2700lbs. Ran 12.68 on the stock motor, no mods except weightloss and suspension. So I know all about tin cans and rattle traps. I daily drove it without AC, door panels, a center console, rear seats, radio, or trunk lining. When I got pulled over, the cop thought it was a theft recovery. I won't do that to the Evo because it can make power without an engine rebuild. Cobra was looking at 450wheel max before rebuild plus 4K+ for a blower.

The Evo is as civilized as I could ever want. Maybe I'm more extreme, but I doubt it.
I agree with pretty much everything else you are saying. I don't think the Evo is too hardcore either. But people like you and I are car guys, and we value performance above all else.