Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What other cars did you look at before buying your RA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What other cars did you look at before buying your RA?

I am looking to get a RA, but have also been looking at other cars to compare and what not like the Mazda3 and the Kia Optima SX Turbo.

Wondering what other cars you guys looked at/test drove and why you decided to go with the RA in the end?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at a Hyundai Genesis, Audi A4 and Subaru STi. I just loved the Ralliart the most so I decided to get it
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I went to the suburu dealer one day just to look at stis and had no intentions of buying a car and they were closed. The mitshu dealer was next store and open I test drove the ralliart and bought it the next day. I got a pretty good deal on it too.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I shopped a Chevy Aveo, a Honda Fit, and a old Cadillac Eldorado before I bought my RA. I was going to test drive an AMC Pacer, but when i drove past the Mitsubishi dealership I saw they were offering a free stick of gum with purchase of a 2009 Lancer. How could I pass up that deal?

Seriously, buy the car that works for you and your lifestyle. It shouldn't matter what models others looked at before they bought. Besides, there are already numerous threads that discuss the RA pros and cons. Search the forum and read, read, read.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:19 PM

Comparison

I looked at the Mazda Speed 3, Subaru and the Ralliart. It came down to the Mazda and the RA, but the AWD really was my technical win-over. Not to mention my wife was constantly ******* me about the Mazda, and how it looked like it had a smiley face. I have to say, I think the looks of the RA are just awesome!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I was considering a WRX and Mazdaspeed 3. Went with the RA because I think it looks better than the WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 and I got 0% financing on it.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At the time, IIRC, I was looking at the audi a3, merc c300 4matic, rav4 v6, mazda 3, and a couple others.

In retrospect, the A3 would've been a better choice. Better gas mileage, more refined, much more space inside.

The RA was the "fun" car that I literally purchased on impulse on a day when I just passed by a dealer and decided to do a test drive. I guess I figured I better own that car with the giant wing before it's too late.

Also... if you think about it, not that many cars out there offer AWD (a REAL awd), good amount of power, and a DCT (always wanted to try one out).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Since I don't ride my Harley that often lately I wanted a car that was fun to drive, and might provide a bit of excitement on occasion. I looked at a bunch of used Porsches, and a couple Corvettes but just thought they were all too expensive. After some internal debate, I decided to try and save a few dollars and just bought a new Ralliart.

Note my signature, after 6 months and over $6400 in mods, the car is for sale and looking for a new home.

It really has been fun to drive and appreciate the changes in performance following the various mods, but I guess this might prove to be a slightly costly lesson to go with your first instincts...
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by RideSober
Since I don't ride my Harley that often lately I wanted a car that was fun to drive, and might provide a bit of excitement on occasion. I looked at a bunch of used Porsches, and a couple Corvettes but just thought they were all too expensive. After some internal debate, I decided to try and save a few dollars and just bought a new Ralliart.

Note my signature, after 6 months and over $6400 in mods, the car is for sale and looking for a new home.

It really has been fun to drive and appreciate the changes in performance following the various mods, but I guess this might prove to be a slightly costly lesson to go with your first instincts...
what are you getting then since you are selling your RA?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:19 PM

Was looking at an Evo, but funny your looking at the Optima. I almost traded my RA in for one.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

i looked into the a Bmer.. GTR or the EVO X... but if i picked any of those i would be still paying moonthly ****.... so i took my RA.. nice lookin car n kinda fast
i paid my RA before the 1st year... got my GAP back n al that **** lol. im happy i bought my RA and not a GTR or Evo
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at the MPS3 (Mazda speed 3 to you US guys ), WRX, Focus XR5, Golf GTI and renault megane RS225 (RS250 wasn't available yet). Only decided on the RA due to the gearbox and boot space (need it for work).

While I do LOVE my RA, it is lacking in a large number of areas. If the boot was slightly larger, I truthfully would have went for the X GSR with SST (to keep the missus happy) or the X MR.

Last edited by jcm308; Jun 15, 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by AZRALLIART
Was looking at an Evo, but funny your looking at the Optima. I almost traded my RA in for one.
Well, the Kia really is tempting......so much luxury options in a turbo and bigger space for such a cheap price. If it was in AWD, I'd probably jump on that.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at the WRX and mazdaspeed 3. I needed awd so the mazda was out. I went to test drive the WRX and the battery was dead, but the salesman was convinced I didn't know that you needed to hold the clutch down to start it until he tried himself. Then he wouldn't work with me on the price of the car at all. Bad experience. Walked into my mitsu dealership, saw the ra in the showroom. treated me right and gave me a great price on the car. Bought it and picked it up the next day without even test driving it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:43 AM

Looked at the WRX and a Tacoma. Did some research and really weighed out the pros and cons of having the type of car or truck I'll be needing. I actually found this site during my research and just started reading. One day last year my girlfriend and I were on our way back from a day trip to Napa and just happen to swing by a Mitsu dealer on the way back home. A week later I was driving home happily in my brand new Ralliart Sportback. I absolutely love my car and I'm glad I made the decision to go with it.

Quick Reply: What other cars did you look at before buying your RA?