Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

questions about HIDs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about HIDs

Hey guys, so I picked up a 2011 RA the other day and that thing is a fun car to drive! I was trying to get HID's for my low beams but was wondering what the bulb size is and where you guys suggest buying it from? Im not sure if my car has stock HIDs and if so do I have to disable those to put an HID kit in there?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

DDM Tuning is where I got mine. My 2011 didn't have DRLs so I didn't have to disable anything for HIDs. Cant remember the bulb size, sorry.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

I got mine from HID Depot, but the ballasts may be going out already.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for your guys' help. But what should I get? What size? I know the lancer is 9006, whats ours?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

The Lancer and RA share the same 9006 bulb

Welcome to the forums. Friendly note, there are multiple threads that cover these topics in detail. Please use the search function.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAguy
...Im not sure if my car has stock HIDs and if so do I have to disable those to put an HID kit in there?
Why would you put in an aftermarket HID kit if you already may have a vastly superior OEM HID system? What am I missing guys?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FASTER345
Why would you put in an aftermarket HID kit if you already may have a vastly superior OEM HID system? What am I missing guys?
Haha I never read that in the first post.

To the O.P., if your car has OEM HIDs, it will have projector lenses for your low beams and reflectors for the high beams. If your low and high beam lenses look the same, (both reflectors) then you have regular halogen headlights. If you have a projector, you have OEM HIDs. Incase you're not familiar with a projector lens, it looks kind of like an eye mounted on a cylindrical assembly.

If you have factory HIDs, don't bother changing them for a crappy aftermarket set. Believe me, there is no aftermarket company that makes a better set of HIDs than what you would find in a car that has them from the factory. If such a kit was available, it would most likely be very expensive.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
another way to tell if you have factory HID:
When you turn on the headlights does it take a moment before they get bright? =HID

or do they turn on immediately ? =Halogens
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:22 PM

thanks for the help guys and gals, sorry im a noob. I saw in a thread that they are 9006's then I saw on another thread that they are d2s's. Maybe the d2s's are the ones with the oem HID set? Yeah mine are defenitly halogen because I know what projectors are.
So when I was looking at the place to put my HID's in, it seems to be not much room for my hands to go through to pull out the stock lights.. Do you guys just remove the coolant bottle (for the passenger side) and unscrew that small plastic fuse box looking thingy on the otherside to install them? Mine is a 2011 btw, I dont know how much different (if any differences at all) than the 2009's. Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:08 AM

yes remove the water bottle on the passenger side and the silver bracket on the driver side as make it a lot easier, i seen the same instruction in the owner Manual and made life a lot easier when adding HID