Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

tune?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune?

Pardon the ignorance. That said, I have read many times on here that a tune provides a noticeable performance improvement. I don't want to mod my car too much. I'm thinking maybe a tune and a K&N. I'll leave the exhaust stock I think. I'm not sure I even fully understand what a tune is haha.

Regardless,

1) Will I notice a big(er) difference with a tune and a K&N?
2) How much does a tune typically cost?
3) I'm guessing if I get it done at the dealership that it does not affect my warranty.

I guess I'm just looking for my best bang for buck to get a lil more out of my new girl. Again, please forgive the "newbness."
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune is basically adjusting your ecu to make your car run better with or without mods.

1. yes u will get a good amount of power just from a tune.
2. depends on what type of tune. Gst offers free basemaps(just buy tactrix cable) or $500 by a tuner with a dyno.
3. dealership will not do tunes and you will void your warranty.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
A tune is basically adjusting your ecu to make your car run better with or without mods.

1. yes u will get a good amount of power just from a tune.
2. depends on what type of tune. Gst offers free basemaps(just buy tactrix cable) or $500 by a tuner with a dyno.
3. dealership will not do tunes and you will void your warranty.

So getting a tune voids warranty? I don't get it. So if I can't get it done at the dealership, where can I go? What kind of shop do I look for? I must sound ignorant, perhaps because I am lol.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by petro
So getting a tune voids warranty? I don't get it. So if I can't get it done at the dealership, where can I go? What kind of shop do I look for? I must sound ignorant, perhaps because I am lol.
You'll want to look for local performance shops that:

A: Have experience tuning Mitsu's
B: Have an AWD Dyno.

There are some Calgary/Edmonton guys on here, they could chime in with places to go.

Winnipeg does not have a AWD dyno so we're hooped here.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by p1llar
You'll want to look for local performance shops that:

A: Have experience tuning Mitsu's
B: Have an AWD Dyno.

There are some Calgary/Edmonton guys on here, they could chime in with places to go.

Winnipeg does not have a AWD dyno so we're hooped here.

Thanks. That is helpful. That said, I do worry that it voids warranty. I want a lil more punch, but at the expense of warranty trips me out a bit.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

I guess another question I have is; If tuning interferes with one's warranty, why do so many people do it...beyond the obvious? I guess people are just willing to gamble for performance. I really want to tune, but the whole warranty thing creeps me out..sigh.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. That is helpful. That said, I do worry that it voids warranty. I want a lil more punch, but at the expense of warranty trips me out a bit.
GO see Cam at Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer. You will need to buy a Cobb Access Port but this will allow you to revert the ECU map back to stock should you ever need a warranty claim.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aaronk
GO see Cam at Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer. You will need to buy a Cobb Access Port but this will allow you to revert the ECU map back to stock should you ever need a warranty claim.

Thanks man, that is the type of info/advice I'm looking for. I don't want to do something and have it be final (i.e., void my warranty).
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
You will need to buy a Cobb Access Port but this will allow you to revert the ECU map back to stock should you ever need a warranty claim.
That is the same whether you have the Access Port or use ECUFlash.

They both flash the factory ECU. Both can flash the ECU back to stock.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
2. depends on what type of tune. Gst offers free basemaps(just buy tactrix cable)
^ this
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That isn't fail-safe.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
That isn't fail-safe.

What in this world is truly "fail safe?" Sigh. Maybe I'll just consider upgrading my intake to make sure the warranty is not influenced. Like I said, I don't want to go mod crazy. I just want get a little more out of the new girl.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:58 PM

I'd be careful with intake, since it messes with your AFR you normally need / is recommended that you get a tune with one.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^ i see that advice a lot - BUT since it already runs rich from the factory (soot at the tailpipe)at WOT is it really a problem?

-skeptical.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

What in this world is truly "fail safe?" Sigh. Maybe I'll just consider upgrading my intake to make sure the warranty is not influenced. Like I said, I don't want to go mod crazy. I just want get a little more out of the new girl.
You should be careful with the intake mod. It has been mentionned a lot that the intake leans out your mixture. I don't remember seeing any AFR readings to show how much it impacts it.

If you talk about gambling, doing a mod you are not sure about the impacts is much more gambling than a tune.

For sure, if you are afraid or driving without warranty, don't do any performance mod at all... If you have mod, you run the risk of having to defend your warranty claim.

We do it, because the car is a whole different beast with a good tune. If you want to be safe go with GST Basemap... It's free and people have been running it for a while without issues.

There is no proof that the dealer can't tell you had a tune before... The least they will notice is probably the number of flashes, if it is unusually high, they will have reason to say something about it...

Quick Reply: tune?