Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It all depends on the dyno, but you can see what I'm pushing on my car as of the last time I was tuned. I just added a turbo-inlet so I'll be doing some logs and tweaking my tune with Devin shortly, so maybe squeeze a little more out, but not much.

Only relevant mods I haven't done are: wastegate actuator, cams, and e85 conversion(w/ fuel pump & injectors). Or that's all I can think of at the moment, anyway.

I've also considered, MAYBE, a long downpipe with divorced o2 (I currently have short-version installed) and tubular exhaust manifold combo (if CBRD ever decides to produce them), though with the stock turbo, I don't know what good those last two will actually do .

I could list other things that I haven't changed either, like intake mani, throttle body, etc., but those would be fairly trivial and I'm almost certain they would make little to no change to the vehicle's power characteristics as the OEM parts are more than adequate for what the stock turbo can deliver.

I feel, very much, that 300hp is attainable on the stock turbo on e85 on a Mustang dyno, and I intend to prove that point, as well. The less than 10% increase over what I'm currently running is a very realistic possibility.

Now, the important question: What are you planning to do with this power? If you want to build a drag car, you'll want to look into a bigger turbo so you can see more in the top end, for sure. If you're looking for a fun street car with a healthy low-midrange then the stock turbo is more up your alley.

I love my power curve as it is currently, and will probably never change out to an Evo-based turbo for the simple fact that I use it as a daily driver and to have a little fun every now and again. I love when the power comes in early and strong and theres a very respectable area under the curve so I have some power to get up and go, and the low-end power makes autox an absolute delight. Besides, I rarely even have the chance to really wind out the gears unless I'm at the drag strip, and that is lots of fun even at 12 seconds or so. I can't run around town (not that I would) talking trash and trying to race everyone on the street with a loud exhaust, because I know there are plenty of cars that would kick my ***, but I have a blast in my car as-is. It's all about what you're after

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Sep 23, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I like about you Chi. You're consistently exceeding the capabilities of the stock RA turbo.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
It all depends on the dyno, but you can see what I'm pushing on my car as of the last time I was tuned. I just added a turbo-inlet so I'll be doing some logs and tweaking my tune with Devin shortly, so maybe squeeze a little more out, but not much.

Only relevant mods I haven't done are: wastegate actuator, cams, and e85 conversion(w/ fuel pump & injectors). Or that's all I can think of at the moment, anyway.

I've also considered, MAYBE, a long downpipe with divorced o2 (I currently have short-version installed) and tubular exhaust manifold combo (if CBRD ever decides to produce them), though with the stock turbo, I don't know what good those last two will actually do .

I could list other things that I haven't changed either, like intake mani, throttle body, etc., but those would be fairly trivial and I'm almost certain they would make little to no change to the vehicle's power characteristics as the OEM parts are more than adequate for what the stock turbo can deliver.

I feel, very much, that 300hp is attainable on the stock turbo on e85 on a Mustang dyno, and I intend to prove that point, as well. The less than 10% increase over what I'm currently running is a very realistic possibility.

Now, the important question: What are you planning to do with this power? If you want to build a drag car, you'll want to look into a bigger turbo so you can see more in the top end, for sure. If you're looking for a fun street car with a healthy low-midrange then the stock turbo is more up your alley.
yes this lol. i want to put out atleast 300 to the wheels and considering whether or not itd be more or less expensive to buy a whole bunch of stuff for the stock turbo or just buy an evo x setup.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

lYou dont have to upgrade to a X turbo to get those numbers. You could get the BBXlite and not have to convert everything to the X. I think Brain at GTS is making 400 or so on it with e85. Correct me if Im wrong please.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

erm... I ~could~ be mistaken here, but the BBXLite turbo is a built up EvoX turbo... so, you would have to do the EvoX upgrade to be able to run a BBXLite...

If you want to upgrade the turbo w/o doing a EvoX conversion, you'd want to look at one of the CBRD RAD turbo upgrades, because this turbo is a built up RA turbo...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

how much do those cbrd upgrades cost
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omegis
That's what I like about you Chi. You're consistently exceeding the capabilities of the stock RA turbo.
Thanks. That's kind of my goal; I love being the underdog and pushing the limits while doing what "can't be done" just to see if I can.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. That's kind of my goal; I love being the underdog and pushing the limits while doing what "can't be done" just to see if I can.
Chi, If you don't mind me asking, What current mods do you currently have on your car?

=D
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Really not much, all bolt-ons, but the combination works well together apparently, lol. 3" intake with velocity stack, bigger fmic, hard ic piping upper and lower, crushed Evox bpv with hard recirc tube, 3" catless turboback exhaust, 3-port bcs, trans-cooler fan, and a bunch of little weight reduction bits here and there that add up nicely
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really not much, all bolt-ons, but the combination works well together apparently, lol. 3" intake with velocity stack, bigger fmic, hard ic piping upper and lower, crushed Evox bpv with hard recirc tube, 3" catless turboback exhaust, 3-port bcs, trans-cooler fan, and a bunch of little weight reduction bits here and there that add up nicely
I wish you'd list your mods in your "signature" like you used to do...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
erm... I ~could~ be mistaken here, but the BBXLite turbo is a built up EvoX turbo... so, you would have to do the EvoX upgrade to be able to run a BBXLite...

If you want to upgrade the turbo w/o doing a EvoX conversion, you'd want to look at one of the CBRD RAD turbo upgrades, because this turbo is a built up RA turbo...
Maybe its not the bbxlite. Im pretty sure cbrd makes an upgraded td04 turbo. Maybe they can chim in.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Don't know any "Brain at GTS".... oh wait you must mean Bryan formerly from GST
The BBX (in both varieties) is a stock X frame turbo. Basically you have to do the full X swap, and then spend ANOTHER $900 to make the X a BBX
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Maybe its not the bbxlite. Im pretty sure cbrd makes an upgraded td04 turbo. Maybe they can chim in.
Nunyas is correct. CBRD has made available upgraded turbos using both the stock RA an Evo X turbos.

- The upgraded TD04 (Ralliart) turbo is called the CBRD RAD (RAD for Ralliart designated). It has been shown in other threads to be able to flow slightly more air than a stock Evo X turbo.

- The upgraded TD05 (Evo X) turbo is offered in two versions, the BBX and BBX Lite. The BBX uses larger internals and flows more air at higher RPMs than the BBX Lite, however it also takes longer to spool than the Lite, Evo X stock, RAD or Ralliart stock turbos. Due to the fact that most tuners will limit torque with larger turbos to preserve the SST, the BBX Lite seems to be best option for Ralliart drivers if you're going to run a upgraded Evo X type turbo. Due to torque limiting, the BBX offers no real advantage to us over a BBX Lite. If anything, the longer spool time would make the car less responsive, and you wouldn't really see the top end advantage as the output would be limited. In fact, even with a BBX Lite, you would still have to limit torque. The BBX and BBX Lite turbos, as expected, both flow significantly more air than the stock Evo X unit. According to Bryan's (Razorlab) build thread, he's using a BBX Lite.

Flow capacity is as follows: TD04 < TD05 < CBRD RAD < CBRD BBX Lite < CBRD BBX

There are threads showing the exact flow capacity of each turbo, but due to my laziness you'll need to search them yourself.

Any upgrade above the stock TD04 would make your 300whp target fairly easy to acheive.

Last edited by SudzRA; Sep 26, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Nunyas is correct. CBRD has made available upgraded turbos using both the stock RA an Evo X turbos.

- The upgraded TD04 (Ralliart) turbo is called the CBRD RAD (RAD for Ralliart designated). It has been shown in other threads to be able to flow slightly more air than a stock Evo X turbo.

- The upgraded TD05 (Evo X) turbo is offered in two versions, the BBX and BBX Lite. The BBX uses larger internals and flows more air at higher RPMs than the BBX Lite, however it also takes longer to spool than the Lite, Evo X stock, RAD or Ralliart stock turbos. Due to the fact that most tuners will limit torque with larger turbos to preserve the SST, the BBX Lite seems to be best option for Ralliart drivers if you're going to run a upgraded Evo X type turbo. Due to torque limiting, the BBX offers no real advantage to us over a BBX Lite. If anything, the longer spool time would make the car less responsive, and you wouldn't really see the top end advantage as the output would be limited. In fact, even with a BBX Lite, you would still have to limit torque. The BBX and BBX Lite turbos, as expected, both flow significantly more air than the stock Evo X unit. According to Bryan's (Razorlab) build thread, he's using a BBX Lite.

Flow capacity is as follows: TD04 < TD05 < CBRD RAD < CBRD BBX Lite < CBRD BBX

There are threads showing the exact flow capacity of each turbo, but due to my laziness you'll need to search them yourself.

Any upgrade above the stock TD04 would make your 300whp target fairly easy to acheive.
thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Price check on the CBRD RAD? Never seen a public post about it.................

Quick Reply: Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?