Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC NFS has one... Though, I don't think I've seen him post what he paid for it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-ralliart.html

What he's putting down w/ the CBRD RAD turbo is in that thread somewhere...

Price wise, it's less than the BBXLite turbo, IIRC.

Last edited by nunyas; Sep 26, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
Price wise, it's less than the BBXLite turbo, IIRC.
Especially when you consider that the RAD is a direct swap, vs a full Evo-based conversion (manifold, lines, gaskets, etc.) to run the BBXL or any other Evo variant.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry I was confused. I knew Brain was running a BBX lite for some reason I thought it was a TD04 though. Thanks for the correction. I think Im going to go the CBRD Rad direction so I dont have to go through the whole manifold, lines ect.. conversion.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jechttt
Price check on the CBRD RAD? Never seen a public post about it.................
I don't think it's ever been posted, afaik. You'll need to pm Chad at CBRD for pricing.

I've been running through the advantages/disadvantages of going with the CBRD Rad vs. a BBX Lite. Expecting to pay between ~$1000-$1500 for a RAD, that puts me at or below the price of a BBX Lite, and I won't need to collect all the other parts required to make a TD05 frame turbo work, other than injectors. Putting a TD05 swap together in Canada is about 20-25% more expensive than it would be if I lived in the States. Given that I don't have a reliable source of 93-94oct fuel, and no source of E85, I don't think I'll be able to make more than 20-30whp more with a full BBX Lite swap than I would with a RAD...

Last edited by SudzRA; Sep 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

This is in no way intended to come off as fact, and this is all based on conjecture from what I've been hearing, but I was under the impression that the RAD is likely much closer to the lower end of that range, if not slightly below...

Chad would be the one with the definitive answer of course. He's only a PM away and usually replies within 24-48 hrs. Great guy if you've never dealt with him in-person yet, very helpful and willing to listen and answer all of your questions.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:35 PM

How much more lag would you expect running a RAD vs TD04? Would it still give the lower end power and pickup or would it run more like the TD05?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Little to no more lag than stock turbo. Minimal difference, if anything at all.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Chi-town....where did you pick up your hard recirc tubing?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

IIRC, he got it from your local hardware store (e.g. Lowe's, HomeDepot, Ace, etc)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
This is in no way intended to come off as fact, and this is all based on conjecture from what I've been hearing, but I was under the impression that the RAD is likely much closer to the lower end of that range, if not slightly below...

Chad would be the one with the definitive answer of course. He's only a PM away and usually replies within 24-48 hrs. Great guy if you've never dealt with him in-person yet, very helpful and willing to listen and answer all of your questions.
IIRC, I believe you're spot-on with your idea for pricing. I'd be keeping my core, so I can swap back to stock if I needed to. This would likely drive the price up into the higher end of the range I gave.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Here's some numbers from the RAD and BBX Lite

CBRD RAD, stock catback
290whp/295wtq, Mustang dyno (no mention of gas type)
Ridesober
292whp/300wtq

CBRD says that they lost ~20whp/20wtq due to stock intake and exhaust.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...d-turbo-3.html

Other resource (posted above by nunyas):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...alliart-2.html

Bryan (Razorlab) BBX Lite
320whp/275wtq, Mustang dyno, 91oct, stock catback
370whp/326wtq, Mustang dyno, E85, stock catback

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sportback.html

Last edited by SudzRA; Sep 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
IIRC, he got it from your local hardware store (e.g. Lowe's, HomeDepot, Ace, etc)
Basically, lol. I actually got in contact with a guy who custom fabbed up a couple of them with bends to match the factory rubber tubing, but when I switched over to Devin's intake, I ended up cutting out the curves and just using the straight section. So, yeah, in my current configuration (or probably similar setups with the AMS intake or others that leave you with a straight line from BPV to intake) you could just go to a hardware store and pick up a straight piece of piping and go with that along with 2 pieces of rubber for couplers.

Originally Posted by SudzRA
IIRC, I believe you're spot-on with your idea for pricing. I'd be keeping my core, so I can swap back to stock if I needed to. This would likely drive the price up into the higher end of the range I gave.
Exactly, core exchange will definitely make the difference. Just from what I remember, the whole purpose was supposed to be a cost-effective alternative to a basic X swap with slightly more output than a stock X turbo. With the average X swap costing in the ~$1200 range (from what I've been seeing/hearing), I figure the RAD to be slightly less if you are exchanging your turbo as a core replacement.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

so if you got the rad turbo upgrade, what other parts would need to be upgraded as well?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Essentially nothing other than a tune. You can technically run it on an otherwise completely stock car, though to see it's full potential, you'd need other basic supporting mods like intake, exhaust, fmic and piping, etc. Then once you get to that level where you're pushing the turbo for what it's worth, it's been said that larger injectors are required and a fuel pump wouldn't hurt either. But for starters, you'd be able to put it in, have it tuned, and just go from there.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Essentially nothing other than a tune. You can technically run it on an otherwise completely stock car, though to see it's full potential, you'd need other basic supporting mods like intake, exhaust, fmic and piping, etc. Then once you get to that level where you're pushing the turbo for what it's worth, it's been said that larger injectors are required and a fuel pump wouldn't hurt either. But for starters, you'd be able to put it in, have it tuned, and just go from there.
so basically if i have a warranty this would blow it to pieces?

Quick Reply: Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?