Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Only for that portion of the car. Engine and potentially transmission warranty would be out the door for anything that they could blame on the turbo as a direct cause of the failure/malfunction. Unrelated items, ie. suspension, accessories, etc., will still be covered under factory warranty.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a catback, k&n drop in, evo x bov, ic pipes, and evo x ic. none of that will affect my warranty right? i want to get an intake but i hear mixed reviews on whether thatll screw me over or not.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaz17
i have a catback, k&n drop in, evo x bov, ic pipes, and evo x ic. none of that will affect my warranty right? i want to get an intake but i hear mixed reviews on whether thatll screw me over or not.
Skip the intake until you start making more power, if you want my opinion. As of right now, it's not much more than a noisemaker. While that may make the car sound better, that's about all it's doing, and it's one more thing the dealership can get upset about.

None of the mods you have listed will void your warranty. No modifications will ever completely void your warranty unless they are directly related to whatever it is that went wrong. Example: You change your bpv and develop a resulting compressor surge issue and blow your turbo - No warranty. You change your fmic and pipes and you have a fuel trim issue from boost/vacuum leak - No warranty. You do a turbo swap and your radio starts eating CDs - Warranty OK. You change anything on the car and something completely unrelated brakes - Warranty OK

Make sense?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Skip the intake until you start making more power, if you want my opinion. As of right now, it's not much more than a noisemaker. While that may make the car sound better, that's about all it's doing, and it's one more thing the dealership can get upset about.

None of the mods you have listed will void your warranty. No modifications will ever completely void your warranty unless they are directly related to whatever it is that went wrong. Example: You change your bpv and develop a resulting compressor surge issue and blow your turbo - No warranty. You change your fmic and pipes and you have a fuel trim issue from boost/vacuum leak - No warranty. You do a turbo swap and your radio starts eating CDs - Warranty OK. You change anything on the car and something completely unrelated brakes - Warranty OK

Make sense?
basically understood that to begin with lol. but if i do a rad turbo and then bring my car in for some unrelated service and the dealership SEES it, will they give me sh*t?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

The entire purpose of a stock frame turbo upgrade is...well...stock frame.
So unless they remove the turbo and look inside no one is the wiser.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If my understanding is correct, that stock frame RAD t/c has a different wastegate setup to hold more boost. That kind of ties you in to a custom tune from that point on, doesn't it?

It's a world away from the boost pill approach, where a quick switcheroo and reflash will have the car driving like stock again, right? While it may look different on the outside, you'd immediately know the torque curve was different driving it around the block... and the ROM image wouldn't (couldn't) be the original factory one.

Or am I way wide of the mark here?

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Sep 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: clearityness
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
If my understanding is correct, that stock frame RAD t/c has a different wastegate setup to hold more boost. That kind of ties you in to a custom tune from that point on, doesn't it?

It's a world away from the boost pill approach, where a quick switcheroo and reflash will have the car driving like stock again, right? While it may look different on the outside, you'd immediately know the torque curve was different driving it around the block... and the ROM image wouldn't (couldn't) be the original factory one.

Or am I way wide of the mark here?

Rich
You're spot on. I know that when you've purchased a RAD, CBRD provides a basemap to get you up and running, but you're going to need a custom tune to get it right.

Also, I'm thinking a 3-port BCS is going to make a world of a difference once you're tuning for the new turbo (especially when it comes to properly tuning the torque curve such that you don't run into SST issues). I'd recommend adding that to the list of upgrades, not only for a RAD swap, but for any turbo swap.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

You could still run a boost pill on the RAD, the waste-gate is just upgraded to hold higher boost all the way to red-line. As I understand it the waste-gate controls how the boost is held (i.e. 18psi flat), and the boost pill controls how the boost is applied (getting up to your desired boost level). Yes you still need a tune, but you can use a pill (although a 3-port is much wiser imo).
Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

wont a custom tune ruin the warranty?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

A quoted above (and many other times):
Old Oct 1, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
A quoted above (and many other times):
true... but they can blame a lot of **** on the tune probably right
Old Oct 1, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

If "a lot of ****" is due to the engine/transmission/etc yes. If "a lot of ****" is due to suspension/brakes/etc no
Old Oct 1, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

thank you for pointing out the obvious
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

i have been researching evo's and ralliarts, i like the sportback ralliart best but dont know if i can deal with the fake manual. anyhow i never seen such secrecy on pricing. APR advertises it all stage III kit now $4000 for my 01 1.8 jetta, all quality parts inconnel manifold gt ball bearing turbo complete tune included, you will need a better exhaust of course and i am guessing the 12.6 quarter et advertised vid is with a quaife or similar locking front differential differential
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by rodhot6
i have been researching evo's and ralliarts, i like the sportback ralliart best but dont know if i can deal with the fake manual. anyhow i never seen such secrecy on pricing. APR advertises it all stage III kit now $4000 for my 01 1.8 jetta, all quality parts inconnel manifold gt ball bearing turbo complete tune included, you will need a better exhaust of course and i am guessing the 12.6 quarter et advertised vid is with a quaife or similar locking front differential differential
Wut?

Quick Reply: Whats the stock RA turbo capable of?