Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Idle issues with lean condition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have rescaled accordingly for the maf size increase, though my idle rpm is still set to 750ish, but I have never experienced any issues previously. I'll have to take a look at the other settings, however, as I am not sure what they may be.

That being said, I think the issue is mechanical in nature, not tune-based. I've been running the exact same setup for the last 6 months, or so, without issue until just the other day. I'll be going down that avenue first, as it seems the most likely from my perspective.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't mean to infer that your tune was the issue, sorry. What I was going the round about way of saying is that a common cause of this is oil pressure fluctuations. These fluctuations cause a slight "flutter" in the valves (MIVEC) which is most prominent at idle. And apparently the best way to correct this is a stronger idle (1&2). I threw 3 in just in case, and 4 for general all around good measure
Goodluck!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I flashed to 2.7 now and my boost issues disappeared. I feel a slight stumble up near the top sometimes but I still need to log and see what's happening. My fear is there may be a wg issue. One thing I want to mention now is after the flash it doesn't do it as bad or as much now. BUT! I can get it to do it on my own some of the time. When the car is at full operating temp by stomping on the brake pedal quick and holding while In park the car will run very rich and drop rpm's.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I also have this problem kinda. When im driving on highway and i get off my afr reads 16-18 (more 17-18) and now that it has gotten warmer when i would be driving on streets and stop at a light i would run super rich, sometimes 10 and slowly go back to 14s
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by EvoOtto
BUT! I can get it to do it on my own some of the time. When the car is at full operating temp by stomping on the brake pedal quick and holding while In park the car will run very rich and drop rpm's.
Although it happens to me once and awhile, I am also having a similar problem with a lean idle condition. Your symptoms seem to be just like mine. If i tap my brake pedal repeatedly, it starts to lean out at idle. I jus did a boost leak test and it was all good. No check engine lights either. The brake thing makes me think it could be vacuum related?? Any updates?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamison182
The brake thing makes me think it could be vacuum related?? Any updates?
Nope, I don't think this is your problem....
Name:  vacuum.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  6.9 KB
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
If the brake booster is leaking - it would cause this.

After you shut off the car - do you still have power brakes (at least 4 good pumps after 10" after shut off)?
Old May 6, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I just joined the "rough idle" club. After brainstorming ideas with google, I think it may be the throttle body getting gunked up. I also think an exhaust leak is a good guess. I work and don't have a time or tools to troubleshoot when I get home, but I'm going to try to tinker around tonight.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

I figured I would check back in with an update. The car is now running great! The idle issue eventually turned into a lean condition at WOT. It turned out to be the troublesome relays that people are warned to replace. All I had to do is pull one to realize that this was the culprit. They all sounded like a salt shakers!!!!! Some worse than others. I hope this helps anyone that may have this problem in the future.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 AM

I guess I am joining the club too now...

I have a E7 JDM, been driving great for the first 7-8mths I got it, and then suddenly it starts to run really rough on idle and when coming to a stop as everyone else has been reporting, except my AFR condition is going to super rich (10) then slowly settling to 14.7-15, and would maybe randomly go to 16...

I have changed numerous parts in a bid to solve the issue:
Coils
Plugs
Fuel pump
IACV
MAF
BOV

Throttle body has been taken off and cleaned of all the gunk, boost pressure test came out fine, fuel pressure fine, fuel pump voltage fine.

So now I'm lost for ideas, I have been reading countless threads on the forum, and whats left to check is the O2 sensor and possible faulty injector/s.

The problems only just started after I had changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF out, but as mentioned, the MAF has been changed now, and that would rule out that I miraculously killed the MAF by trying to clean it.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I just want for her to run like normal....