Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Vortex Generator tuft testing and review 2009 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex Generator tuft testing and review 2009 Ralliart

Manufacturer: Vortekz
Price: $20
Other VG brands: Rexpeed and X-factor Designs.

I believe it is SudzRA who has these same VG's as well.

Ok guys, so I decided to purchase a vortex generator just strictly for looks, however I came to find that even in the most menial gains, it is possible they may provide some sort of aerodynamic, mpg, performance type of improvement. How little or great these gains are I have no idea but I after some tuft testing I did see that flow separation was reduced especially in the center of the rear windshield area where turbulence and some type of air pocket can be recognized.

In this first video without the VG, I apologize for the top tufts sticking to the ones below it, I should have made them shorter. Despite this, those tufts in the center of the windshield along with those off to the side are experiencing large amounts of flow separation and turbulence. This is traveling at about 45mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFvwN...el_video_title

In this next video, I tried to place the tufts in place where they would be easier to see and not get stuck to each other. This is at the same speed and you can see there is a noticeable improvement in the movement of the tufts. The flow separation seems much more reduced as they do not flutter in all directions as in the previous video. I apologize that there IS a slight crosswind as well as a curve in the road in both videos, however I believe that based on this simple test, there is regardless of how minimal, an improvement to be made on an otherwise usually purchased for aesthetics automotive piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwWSJ...el_video_title
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I applaud the aero test effort!

There is a doctorate thesis in here somewhere!

Proof enough for me*.

(* and i have 20 years experience/Masters Degree in Aeronautical Engineering )
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! I've noticed that they make a difference even just clearing rain off the back window. I could have gone 10km before and still had rain droplets in the middle of the back window, now the window is rain-free shortly after I start driving.