Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Garaging/Storing your vehicle, (3+ years)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garaging/Storing your vehicle, (3+ years)

I am sure I can google this, but was seeing if anyone else here had some info particular to our cars =_=.

Long story short, most likely going out to sea for 3-4 years, now obviously I will be back from time to time or 3mo. in 3 mo. out, but I'd like to store the car until I come back for good. In the manner of it lifted and drained, battery disconnected, etc. Anything I should know to prevent it from becoming a rust bucket without spending a lot of money for a storage facility, something I can do from a normal garage?

I will becoming back with a poop ton of money but by that time I should have a family and probably won't have the means to spend ***** nilly on my RA.

But that's alright, I guess my modding experience was slim to none but it was definately enjoyable learning about this car one piece at a time...

Thanks for everyones input,

Mike, USN
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:40 AM

3-4 year tour?!? Thats crazy... Taking weight off the suspension is a must, but don't hyper extent the control arms either for that length of time. Try to just keep enough weight on each corner (not tires for the risk of nasty flat spots) to keep the springs just preloaded more that the strut does. if that makes sense...

Fuel stabilizer is a must, but 3+ years is a long time, so if you could even burn a tank once a year, you'd be in better shape.

You can fog the cylinders for peice of mind, but not neccesary if you burn a tank of fuel at least once a year.

Get a battery tender for $40 and hook it up in the car if you have power near by. It will cycle the battery the entire time and they use no power at all at .75 amps.

Industrial supply places sell anti corrosion wax spray similar to what rust check places use. You can go over the cars corners, crevaces, joints, hinges, struts, front end etc. with it.

If you're going to be home any time over the tour, i would recommend just driving it for a while a couple times a year. If you drive it right, you can burn a tank in an afternoon! Thats far easier on the car than sitting for the entire time.

Good luck out at Sea! Thats gonna be one low mile RA in 2015!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

may be off topic, but why not just sell it and buy a new car in 4 years?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
3+ years? If you don't own it, sell it and buy another car when you come back.

Why lose money on a car over 3 years when you aren't even using it?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
3+ years? If you don't own it, sell it and buy another car when you come back.

Why lose money on a car over 3 years when you aren't even using it?

the best choice imo
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Car is paid off

Its mine forever. Well until someone t bones me in an intersection.

Should have less than 25k miles on it before I leave.

Insurance is less than an evo, and it drives just fine for me. Can't really ask for much else.

No car payments = the Shizznet....?

EDIT: Though selling it did cross my mind, not sure how much I'd get for it vs. how much its going to cost me to go brand new when I get back, I'd rather be payment free, and have a kick *** car.

Last edited by Jechttt; Oct 14, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jechttt
Car is paid off

Its mine forever. Well until someone t bones me in an intersection.

Should have less than 25k miles on it before I leave.

Insurance is less than an evo, and it drives just fine for me. Can't really ask for much else.

No car payments = the Shizznet....?
Ok then it makes a little more sense. However, I would still look at what it would depreciate in that time away and see if you are comfortable with taking that financial hit.

You would probably still save money by selling the car. I'd venture to guess a 6+ yr old RA would probably be worth low teens when you get back.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Ok then it makes a little more sense. However, I would still look at what it would depreciate in that time away and see if you are comfortable with taking that financial hit.

You would probably still save money by selling the car. I'd venture to guess a 6+ yr old RA would probably be worth low teens when you get back.
Will do

I am sure I will just put some rust inihibitor on, throw her on some stands and put a cover on it. If my home port is groton, CT I should be able to use it pretty frequently. (still haven't got my orders)