Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Would I be happy with an RA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would I be happy with an RA?

Hey all... i've been back and forth on this for a while. I like the WRX's a whole lot... bodystyle I think better than the RA. However, I have a very good dealer that i'm working with on possibly getting one.

My situation is that I just bought a house so I need a lower payment. I have my 370z for sale, but no bites on it. I love the car and would love to keep it, but if I can save a few hundred dollars a month that would be very good and I can always buy something else later.

Anyway, i've had the Evo IX RS, a pretty heavily modded Evo X, an MS3 (WAAAAYYYY to much torque steer) and now the 370z.

Of course the Z is basically a decent weather car and being in Md sometimes we'll get no snow, sometimes we'll get 12 or more inches of it... so having AWD is just better and to be honest... i'm just more comfortable with it than with the Z since that's all i've had for years... though i'm just starting to get used to the RWD.

As far as the handling, power, etc etc go, would I be happy with it? I can read all of the magazine articles out there, or all of the online articles I can find, but I think it's better to get the info from those of you who actually own one.

Plus i'm 33 now and I suppose it's time to grow up.. but that doesn't mean that going fast once in a while isn't fun
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Take your modded EvoX and cut it's ***** off, that's what it's like driving a Ralliart.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey M4u. Hope everything is going well with you and yours!

FWIW, you seem to be the sort who likes to feel some comfort regarding the car's ultimate capabilities, and a Ralliart may leave you wanting.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why dont you try and refi the Z, that would be cheaper. If you keep buying new cars you keep that big payment! As you are finding out--that sweet deal aint so sweet after a while.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:09 AM
xi
Evolved Member

The maintenance is more expensive with a RA. Also, car will definitely not be as well handling or fast as the 370z, in the dry. When the soft stuff starts falling, though, watch out! The AWD system paired with a good set of tires basically turns the RA into a snow mobile. If you're looking into more of a 370z-lite, wait for the new toyotabaru brz. Its supposed to be several grand cheaper than the RA and is basically a miata-sized 370z (it even looks very much like it).

Though if I were paying off a large mortgage, I would try to keep my car monthly payments (gas + mileage aside) to ~5-6% of my household income just to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on your list of cars, I'd say you won't be happy in an RA. I'd say work with what you have now. But if you are looking for something AWD and easier on the wallet, the RA has EVO size maintenance.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Hey M4u. Hope everything is going well with you and yours!

FWIW, you seem to be the sort who likes to feel some comfort regarding the car's ultimate capabilities, and a Ralliart may leave you wanting.
Hey bro... yeah everything has been going pretty well. The house is nice to have ... first time with no roomates or anything. Hope all is well with you also.

Thanks for all the info guys. I really do want to keep the Z. If nothing else for a year or so... at least how much the car is worth can catch up with what I owe.

I don't know.. i'll just have to see what happens with some of the calls i've made.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliart + Cash for evo D:! lol
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

If I were to buy the RA (if a deal can even be made) and get CBRD's RAD turbo? That would add a bit of kick. I know other supporting mods might be needed, but I still have my OE airbox from my X too.. so that saves some.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive a modded Ralliart and live in MD too, near Towson. Whereabouts do you live? I'm confused about what you own right now, except that I understand you clearly still have the 370Z. What happened to your Evo IX, Evo X, and Mazda Speed 3???

Last edited by Slee256; Dec 17, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

I loved our ralliart-

I am about to trade it in on a Ford F150 because we need another work vehicle- but the Ralliart was a blast-

keep in mind we've had evo 8, evo 9, sti's, GTR, our evo X as shop cars here-

I daily drove the RA sportback for a year- put our parts on it for development- and made around 300whp on our dyno (stock was 19Xish).

The car was a nice compromise between an evo X/MR/and wagon- with more trunk space- I've had both the kids in the back and its been a blast-

I actually still have it (havent traded it yet) if you were interested in a low mileage pre-owned one- its a 2011 with 10,100 miles- has MR evo X wheels-

The car is stock engine-wise- but I still have our turbo upgrade/fmic/etc here from it-

It was a nice daily- not as edgey as the X- and more space-

cb
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
I loved our ralliart-

I am about to trade it in on a Ford F150 because we need another work vehicle- but the Ralliart was a blast-

keep in mind we've had evo 8, evo 9, sti's, GTR, our evo X as shop cars here-

I daily drove the RA sportback for a year- put our parts on it for development- and made around 300whp on our dyno (stock was 19Xish).

The car was a nice compromise between an evo X/MR/and wagon- with more trunk space- I've had both the kids in the back and its been a blast-

I actually still have it (havent traded it yet) if you were interested in a low mileage pre-owned one- its a 2011 with 10,100 miles- has MR evo X wheels-

The car is stock engine-wise- but I still have our turbo upgrade/fmic/etc here from it-

It was a nice daily- not as edgey as the X- and more space-

cb
Man I would definitely be interested if it wasn't a sportback... I just really don't like the style of them. If you have any other shop cars you are interested in selling pm me. Still trying to sell my 370z. No one wants to do any trade deals... but I really do need the monthly payments to come down.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came to my RA Sportback from a 650hp 911 Turbo. The RA will never be as fast or as capable as that car and it shouldn't.

But I can honestly say that the car is a lot more fun around town. Plenty of low RPM torque and no kevlar light-switch clutch to deal with. Also, the P-car did 60 to 130 in 7 seconds, meaning I could only stand on the loud pedal for about 4 seconds before I was deep into the triple digits and looking at jail time if I got snagged.

The RA has some ***** and is fun at non-"take-me-to-jail" speeds.

The old adage is true. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpclimber
The RA has some ***** and is fun at non-"take-me-to-jail" speeds.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:17 AM
Account Disabled

I love/loved ours-

its still here- but may be gone just after xmas-

I can understand some people not wanting the sportback styling- but it offers a massive amount of trunk space-

we crammed 4-5 radiator boxes in it to go to UPS one day LOL!

cb

Quick Reply: Would I be happy with an RA?